Selctive Search Magazine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mark

Selctive Search Magazine

Post by Mark »

Just received my first Selective Search today, compliments of Steve B! Many thanks, Steve, for your generosity and efforts to promote computer chess.

My first impression of Selective Search is very positive. It's certainly a professional looking magazine, printed on high quality paper, and contains a number of articles, games, diagrams, , news, rating lists, etc. For example, the rating list for dedicated computers has over 150 entries, from the Tasc R30 all the way down to Boris 2.5.

It brings back a lot of memories from the 1980's when I used to anxiously await each issue of Computer Chess Reports.

Regards,

Mark
Steve B

Re: Selctive Search Magazine

Post by Steve B »

Mark wrote:Just received my first Selective Search today, compliments of Steve B! Many thanks, Steve, for your generosity and efforts to promote computer chess.

My first impression of Selective Search is very positive. It's certainly a professional looking magazine, printed on high quality paper, and contains a number of articles, games, diagrams, , news, rating lists, etc. For example, the rating list for dedicated computers has over 150 entries, from the Tasc R30 all the way down to Boris 2.5.

It brings back a lot of memories from the 1980's when I used to anxiously await each issue of Computer Chess Reports.

Regards,

Mark
hi Mark

yes i know that feeling well
was a sad day indeed when Steve S(now retired, took his money and ran Venezuela) decided to end the CCR's

Hallsworth however continues to carry the torch for the old dedicated computers (and of course Pc Engine chess)

notice how the dedicated list does not include a rating for the largest selling chess computer of all time..the Chess Challenger 7?

Hallsworth told me he simply never received enough rated games to include an entry!

anyone with a a CC7 who could manage to play some games against any other rated computer on the lists (minimum level 1 minute per move but preferably 40/2) and submit the games to SS for a rating would make instant history

i also like the new feature started last issue which shows the PC Engine rating lists of the Independent testing groups CCRL and CEGT side by side for comparison

for someone like me that has little to no interest in PC engine chess it is a quick way to see what programs are currently top and of course which ones are slowing fading away(a never ending cycle)

Harry Belafonte Sends His Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

Just wondering if Selective Search has any published rating for the Saitek Cosmic / Maestro?

Wondering Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

Just wondering if Selective Search has any published rating for the Saitek Cosmic / Maestro?

Wondering Regards

Jonathan
but of course Jon...

the list shows them as follows..
Kasparov Maestro Touch Screen- 1560 Elo
Kasparov Cosmic-1540 Elo

Replying Regards
Steve
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Does it show the individual details of the opposition, number of games, etc?

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:Hi Steve,

Thanks. Does it show the individual details of the opposition, number of games, etc?

Jonathan
the lists are sometimes published with a good amount of detail for each computer including for example showing the ELO ..+/- deviation... number of games..etc
and also the number of rated games against humans and a separate Elo against humans

but he hasn't published a detailed listing in quite sometime

if you contacted Hallsworth by email i am sure he would be willing to give you more details as to any particular listing

i have found him to be very responsive to any reasonable question but it might take some time to hear back from him

Steve