Carlsen, 17 years old, tops FIDE ELO list

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Enir

Carlsen, 17 years old, tops FIDE ELO list

Post by Enir »

http://chess.liverating.org/

It's only a provisional list, but never before a player so young topped the ranking. And the little angel is playing with a flu!

Enrique
ernst

Re: Carlsen, 17 years old, tops FIDE ELO list

Post by ernst »

Impressive!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Enir wrote:http://chess.liverating.org/

It's only a provisional list, but never before a player so young topped the ranking. And the little angel is playing with a flu!

Enrique
What is the source of the claim that he is playing with a flu?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Amazing ...

It is also a sober reminder of the wide gap in playing strength today between computer chess and human chess
a rating of 2791 and it sets all human records of all time(not for highest rating but for youngest to top rating list)
and for a PC Engine a rating like that would be some where in the middle of the rating list and the engine could probably not sell 5 copies today @ $15 per copy

Automated Art Regards
Steve
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Uri Blass wrote:What is the source of the claim that he is playing with a flu?
http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com
http://blog.magnuschess.com/

1.5 / 2 for Carlsen with 2 Black AND he has not been feeling well.
Magnus arrived in Bilbao with a stomach virus and is on medication.

That was after round 2. Susan Polgar is in Bilbao doing the live commentaries, and she has been speaking and dining with Magnus' father, Henrik.
Enir

Post by Enir »

Uri Blass wrote:
Enir wrote:http://chess.liverating.org/

Enrique
What is the source of the claim that he is playing with a flu?
Hi Uri,

I read it in several places, for instance http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4891

Enrique
Eraserheads

Post by Eraserheads »

Yes, but rating 2790 in the SSDF list, for example, is not the same as 2790 FIDE. These are two different pools, and one needs to merge the two pools together to have a more accurate comparative assessment between players belonging from the two groups.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Eraserheads wrote:Yes, but rating 2790 in the SSDF list, for example, is not the same as 2790 FIDE. These are two different pools, and one needs to merge the two pools together to have a more accurate comparative assessment between players belonging from the two groups.
true
if we did have a combined list my guess would be that over all .. human ratings would lower somewhat and the engines would be a bit higher overall
the reason i think is because humans would lose more on the whole to the engines thereby lowering their ratings and conversely the engines would gain points

on this hypothetical list i think perhaps the highest human would be no higher then 10th place once the number of games played between the two groups was statistically sufficient to establish a solid rating

Speculating Regards
Steve
Enir

Post by Enir »

Steve B wrote:Amazing ...

It is also a sober reminder of the wide gap in playing strength today between computer chess and human chess
a rating of 2791 and it sets all human records of all time(not for highest rating but for youngest to top rating list)
and for a PC Engine a rating like that would be some where in the middle of the rating list and the engine could probably not sell 5 copies today @ $15 per copy

Automated Art Regards
Steve
One can argue that human ELO and computer ELO are not comparable. But I think they do indicate a very big difference in strength.

For instance, imagine that Rybka on an eight way machine would give a simultaneous exhibition in Bilbao against the six participants. What result would you predict? In my opinion, Rybka wouldn't lose a game and could probably win 2 to 4, for a total score 4-2 to 5-1. This was also the result predicted by some chess professionals I talked with about this.

Programs like Rybka are undeniably stronger than the best humans, and then I don't quite understand why people are so much more eager to follow a human than a computer event. Chess would be of a higher quality in the computer event. Obviously it is not chess quality what attracts the audience, but the evident human factor, as if engines were not made by humans. A Linares of computer chess is inconceivable. Why, oh why. The human circus? The identification spectator-player?

Enrique
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Enir wrote:
One can argue that human ELO and computer ELO are not comparable. But I think they do indicate a very big difference in strength.

For instance, imagine that Rybka on an eight way machine would give a simultaneous exhibition in Bilbao against the six participants. What result would you predict? In my opinion, Rybka wouldn't lose a game and could probably win 2 to 4, for a total score 4-2 to 5-1. This was also the result predicted by some people I talked with about this.
i think so to
just look at the Adams v Hydra match
Adams was the 7th highest rated human on the Fide list at the time of the match and he could only manage 1 draw
and Hydra then.. could possibly be beaten by Rybka 3 today

the lists are different but if combined i fear it would not be very pretty for the humans
Sobering Thought Regards
Steve