Kasparov was in fact psychologically cheated in 1997

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Kasparov was in fact psychologically cheated in 1997

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:interruption (Derek)
What is this all about? we have the PGN for the game as it was played. We have the deep blue log files (I have them all here assuming I can still find them). So exactly what is supposed to have happened during the game? We have analyzed every move Kasparov complained about, in great detail to great depth. DB's log files look perfectly normal throughout the game and match what was played.

So exactly what is the point of this???
I am also pretty damn sure that the conditions of the match were fair enough....the man has simply lost to the machine 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:interruption (Derek)
What is this all about? we have the PGN for the game as it was played. We have the deep blue log files (I have them all here assuming I can still find them). So exactly what is supposed to have happened during the game? We have analyzed every move Kasparov complained about, in great detail to great depth. DB's log files look perfectly normal throughout the game and match what was played.

So exactly what is the point of this???
I am also pretty damn sure that the conditions of the match were fair enough....the man has simply lost to the machine 8-)
Sure, if science is now degenerating into a hoax depending on public acclamations and majorities of all sorts... Also all the precautions could be belaughed which I especially support for a fair experiment culture in science. For example the wearing of gloves during operations with open wounds, also and particularly during gynecological procedures could be criticided with laughter. For a mega military power even the naturl laws could be suspended on Easter holidays. We can do it if we want it!
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

science ? i thought it was a game of chess.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mclane wrote:science ? i thought it was a game of chess.
For Rolf everything is science....He is a high academic personality....
Irony intended regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mclane wrote:science ? i thought it was a game of chess.
For Rolf everything is science....He is a high academic personality....
Irony intended regards,
Dr.D
Telling that such ad hominem is happening between the known mod and you. Just for the record. If I claim science for such a show event I dont say that this is a scientific experiment. I just want to explain that the scientific basics must be respected by the attending scientists. Secondly to say this does by no means mean that I am putting me at the place of any of these scientists myself. That is an allegation typical for your style.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Apropos science basics like logical laws, this here

http://64.68.157.89/forum/viewtopic.php?p=218216#218216

should have value. Because it's outstanding illogic to pretend that something could be well and justified and at the same time it allegedly could be WRONG and baseless, concerning Kasparov's charges during and after the match in 1997. How is this possible?
bob

Post by bob »

I looked at that when it was first posted, a long while back. I have no idea what Rolf is talking about when he talks about Murray's answer to a question. Murray has always taken his time to formulate an answer before he starts to speak, something perhaps Rolf might try to emulate more. But there was nothing "hidden" in his comments that lends any credibility to the "Kasparov was cheated" chant. In fact, that specific question was asked ("was it a fair match?") and I thought Levy's answer was dead on. Deep Blue 2 completely surprised Kasparov and demoralized him in game two. But the most damaging part was done by Kasparov himself, when he resigned a drawn position. And then he was told by his advisors of all the analysis many of us did overnight to prove it was a draw. And that was the final nail in his coffin. He blew it. He knew he blew it. And it caused him to implode. That is hardly IBM's fault...
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

bob wrote:I looked at that when it was first posted, a long while back. I have no idea what Rolf is talking about when he talks about Murray's answer to a question. Murray has always taken his time to formulate an answer before he starts to speak, something perhaps Rolf might try to emulate more. But there was nothing "hidden" in his comments that lends any credibility to the "Kasparov was cheated" chant. In fact, that specific question was asked ("was it a fair match?") and I thought Levy's answer was dead on. Deep Blue 2 completely surprised Kasparov and demoralized him in game two. But the most damaging part was done by Kasparov himself, when he resigned a drawn position. And then he was told by his advisors of all the analysis many of us did overnight to prove it was a draw. And that was the final nail in his coffin. He blew it. He knew he blew it. And it caused him to implode. That is hardly IBM's fault...
This is not what I have written. Murray is a good speaker, so that wasnt the point. The point isnt that he took his time but that he reinforced his own statements in front of the questioner whose questions he couldnt logically answer properly. Simple as that. But read how I described the point. Let's not become too redundant. Last time I saw such sort of reinforment when kids told me lies. Then they thought they could make their argument stronger if they would nick with their head. This is what Murray did. Very shabby ignoring the facts by Murray. Facts he had the opportunity to define exactly this way and what this senior questioner called unfair at least. But Steven Edwards made the same point, please read what he had to say. Interesting that you completely ignore such positions. When was this discovered, that you can be a good scientist if you ignore decent questions and aspects? - Overall you are such a marvelous open speaker but when you have a prejudice it's difficult with you. But that is old news. I still like you.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Consider the converse --
To this day, more than ten years later, Deep Blue is still uninformed that he won the contest. Worse still, he was pulled apart and sold for parts and is now running COBOL somewhere in Idaho.

Now that is real tragedy.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Poor machine...
take it easy :)