Kasparov was in fact psychologically cheated in 1997

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Kasparov was in fact psychologically cheated in 1997

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:Consider the converse --
To this day, more than ten years later, Deep Blue is still uninformed that he won the contest. Worse still, he was pulled apart and sold for parts and is now running COBOL somewhere in Idaho.

Now that is real tragedy.
:cry:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

What? Who knows, maybe Deep Blue really hated chess and now is very happy running COBOL :P
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
bob wrote:I looked at that when it was first posted, a long while back. I have no idea what Rolf is talking about when he talks about Murray's answer to a question. Murray has always taken his time to formulate an answer before he starts to speak, something perhaps Rolf might try to emulate more. But there was nothing "hidden" in his comments that lends any credibility to the "Kasparov was cheated" chant. In fact, that specific question was asked ("was it a fair match?") and I thought Levy's answer was dead on. Deep Blue 2 completely surprised Kasparov and demoralized him in game two. But the most damaging part was done by Kasparov himself, when he resigned a drawn position. And then he was told by his advisors of all the analysis many of us did overnight to prove it was a draw. And that was the final nail in his coffin. He blew it. He knew he blew it. And it caused him to implode. That is hardly IBM's fault...
This is not what I have written. Murray is a good speaker, so that wasnt the point. The point isnt that he took his time but that he reinforced his own statements in front of the questioner whose questions he couldnt logically answer properly. Simple as that. But read how I described the point. Let's not become too redundant. Last time I saw such sort of reinforment when kids told me lies. Then they thought they could make their argument stronger if they would nick with their head. This is what Murray did. Very shabby ignoring the facts by Murray. Facts he had the opportunity to define exactly this way and what this senior questioner called unfair at least. But Steven Edwards made the same point, please read what he had to say. Interesting that you completely ignore such positions. When was this discovered, that you can be a good scientist if you ignore decent questions and aspects? - Overall you are such a marvelous open speaker but when you have a prejudice it's difficult with you. But that is old news. I still like you.
Are you sure you listened to the same audio I did? I heard absolutely _nothing_ that suggested Murray though anything was not as it should have been.

I do not consider it "unfair" when one opponent loses his cool and falls apart in a match. That wasn't IBM's fault. They played under the _same_ conditions a year earlier. But of course kasparov won. The same conditions one year later were unfair? Of course he lost this time around. Whose fault was that? Certainly not IBM's nor the DB team's. He got bad advice, and was surprised when it turned out to be so. Whose fault was that? Not IBM's (except for the part about his being wrong because they had developed something _far_ stronger than Fritz of that time period).

He lost, 11 years ago, it is in the history books and nothing is going to change that.
sje

Post by sje »

Ovyron wrote:What? Who knows, maybe Deep Blue really hated chess and now is very happy running COBOL :P
Hey, maybe the DB control software was written in Cobol! :D You may have uncovered the secret behind the machine's playing strength.

Then again, there's that story that Cobol was secretly financed by the US military and was targeted for export to adversarial countries. The idea was to maintain and enhance financial superiority of the US. Sound far fetched? Well, can you think of any other programming language that was authored by a US Navy admiral?

It's also speculated that Fortran was similarly developed as a weapon against enemy software engineering, but was accidentally released in the US.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

bob wrote:I looked at that when it was first posted, a long while back. I have no idea what Rolf is talking about when he talks about Murray's answer to a question. Murray has always taken his time to formulate an answer before he starts to speak, something perhaps Rolf might try to emulate more. But there was nothing "hidden" in his comments that lends any credibility to the "Kasparov was cheated" chant. In fact, that specific question was asked ("was it a fair match?") and I thought Levy's answer was dead on. Deep Blue 2 completely surprised Kasparov and demoralized him in game two. But the most damaging part was done by Kasparov himself, when he resigned a drawn position. And then he was told by his advisors of all the analysis many of us did overnight to prove it was a draw. And that was the final nail in his coffin. He blew it. He knew he blew it. And it caused him to implode. That is hardly IBM's fault...

Can you hear me, Bob?

I am talking about a video from a conference in 2005 where Murray participated. Know what I mean? Video! Length something more than two hours. You go right into the middle of the video. When the audience had its questions. Then the exchange between the elderly looking man and Campbell. Telling! You can also read what I wrote aboutg it at the top of this thread. Everything what I wrote here in the thread is from the video. Bob, you must just take a look for yourself. Perhaps you had been in the audience yourself...

Please also read carefully what Edwards wrote here couple of days ago. He showed all the justified charges that could be made and then he *broke together* with the unfogettable tune, 'but Kasparov should stop making unbased charges'.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
sje

Post by sje »

Rolf wrote:Please also read carefully what Edwards wrote here couple of days ago. He showed all the justified charges that could be made and then he *broke together* with the unfogettable tune, 'but Kasparov should stop making unbased charges'.
Get a clue, Rolf. None of IBM's behavior good or bad justified Kasparov's baseless allegations of cheating; and I have never claimed otherwise.

Considering the big haul of cash that Kasparov claimed in both events, I'd say he was treated rather well overall. For a week of sweat, he got more than most engineers make in a decade.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

sje wrote:
Rolf wrote:Please also read carefully what Edwards wrote here couple of days ago. He showed all the justified charges that could be made and then he *broke together* with the unfogettable tune, 'but Kasparov should stop making unbased charges'.
Get a clue, Rolf. None of IBM's behavior good or bad justified Kasparov's baseless allegations of cheating; and I have never claimed otherwise.

Considering the big haul of cash that Kasparov claimed in both events, I'd say he was treated rather well overall. For a week of sweat, he got more than most engineers make in a decade.
You are right, but I doubt that Kasparov did it all for the money in that match. He was defending human race. You just dont treat such a hero with disrespect. You are also right if you claim that nothing could be finally proven. But here I never had a different view after the year long training with Prof Bob.

Just for you in all due respect: is computer sciences science? What has it found out the last decades? What are you researching? Could you give an example in normal language?
sje

Post by sje »

What most people call "computer science", I call "cybernetics".

I've never liked the term "computer science"; it sounds like "social science" and "political science", both examples of insecure pretentiousness.

Real computer science is only a few percent of what passes for computer science and is evenly split between electrical engineering and mathematics. The rest of computer science has nothing to do with science at all.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

The rest of computer science has nothing to do with science at all.
Gosh...such a strict view of what science is. Perhaps I should be calling myself a computerologist.

-Sam
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

BubbaTough wrote:
The rest of computer science has nothing to do with science at all.
Gosh...such a strict view of what science is. Perhaps I should be calling myself a computerologist.

-Sam
Nothing theoretical. The question was aiming at the problem if that science if at all could research successfully something in the recent past and I've read that this isnt the case. So it might be a sort of teaching a kind of tech or language for the handling of machines. Question! I'm just asking. So could you add something specific?