G.M. MILOV VADIM versus Rybka 3 Playchess Top Challenger

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri

Re: G.M. MILOV VADIM versus Rybka 3 Playchess Top Challenger

Post by Uri »

Computer programs are just human. Computers can't play chess on their own. So it was basically a match of a human against a team of humans. Chess programs just reflect the strength and talent of their programmers, in this case Vas, Larry and Jereon.

And i don't think this match proved much though. The match wasn't fair for Rybka already in the beginning. The GM had 1 or 2 months to prepare for the match and check Rybka's weaknesses while the programmers didn't have the same opportunity for preperation, like getting to know Vadim's playing style and finding out his weaknesses too. In order to know for sure who is stronger they need to play 100 games with no odds, with no preparation or with preparation time allowed for both sides and not just for the GM.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Uri wrote:Computer programs are just human. Computers can't play chess on their own. So it was basically a match of a human against a team of humans. Chess programs just reflect the strength and talent of their programmers, in this case Vas, Larry and Jereon.

And i don't think this match proved much though. The match wasn't fair for Rybka already in the beginning. The GM had 1 or 2 months to prepare for the match and check Rybka's weaknesses while the programmers didn't have the same opportunity for preperation, like getting to know Vadim's playing style and finding out his weaknesses too. In order to know for sure who is stronger they need to play 100 games with no odds, with no preparation or with preparation time allowed for both sides and not just for the GM.
Correct and I predict 85-15 for Rybka If Milov plays his best chess in best case....
Milov will cry to remove Rybka's rook regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

[/quote]
GM's already failed to win similiar match against rybka when rybka started without a pawn.
[/quote]
Yes of course but what do you want show give odd to weaker player??? the only thing that you can get whit this trivialities is exactly the happened, that all world now doubt if rybka is too strong, all now is confusion thanks to this match without sense. To give an advantage is not a good way to measure your own strengh, this is obtained measuring your true force against the one of your opponent, so that now larry says that on the basis of this match Rybka elo can have about 2700? , I believe that heself tangle in its experiment, is absurd.
[/quote]

I do not see a reason to believe that patzer can beat rybka too with similiar conditions(2 games with black and 6 games with pawn or exchange odd)

I have fide rating of 2035 (I expect fide rating of 2049 in the next update) and I believe that I cannot beat rybka with pawn or exchange odds.

Uri[/quote]
Ok give me Rybka 3 and , to say something, 2 months, and I check the Rybka weakness with help of herself, maybe as you say I still lost but maybe I can find a way to make look bad Rybka, why do you dont try it? you are strong enough to win a ending with a piece odd , aren´t you? so if you exchange all heavy pieces you can get a good chance of win.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

ArmyBridge wrote:
GM's already failed to win similiar match against rybka when rybka started without a pawn.
[/quote]
Yes of course but what do you want show give odd to weaker player??? the only thing that you can get whit this trivialities is exactly the happened, that all world now doubt if rybka is too strong, all now is confusion thanks to this match without sense. To give an advantage is not a good way to measure your own strengh, this is obtained measuring your true force against the one of your opponent, so that now larry says that on the basis of this match Rybka elo can have about 2700? , I believe that heself tangle in its experiment, is absurd.
[/quote]

I do not see a reason to believe that patzer can beat rybka too with similiar conditions(2 games with black and 6 games with pawn or exchange odd)

I have fide rating of 2035 (I expect fide rating of 2049 in the next update) and I believe that I cannot beat rybka with pawn or exchange odds.

Uri[/quote]
Ok give me Rybka 3 and , to say something, 2 months, and I check the Rybka weakness with help of herself, maybe as you say I still lost but maybe I can find a way to make look bad Rybka, why do you dont try it? you are strong enough to win a ending with a piece odd , aren´t you? so if you exchange all heavy pieces you can get a good chance of win.[/quote]

Piece is clearly more than a pawn or exchange.

I may have good chances to win a match with a knight handicap(never tried long time control against rybka3 so I do not know)
but not with rook for a knight handicap or pawn handicap.

Uri
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Marc MP wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Uri wrote:This match proves that Rybka 3 and a top GM are about equally strong, the top GM being slightly stronger i think. If the games were without odds for the GM, i believe the match would have ended with a 4-4 draw.
No basis for your words.

The facts are that milov played exactly 2 games with white and hardly got one draw in them.

Rybka proved herself to be clearly better in equal conditions.
You cn claim that the GM did not play well but the same happened also in previous match when rybka got 6 wins and 2 draws with black against another strong GM(not super GM but GM with almost rating of 2600) and it is something that normal 2700 player cannot do.

All the evidence of the results suggest that computer programs are significantly stronger than humans and even programs that are significantly weaker than rybka on slower hardware could get draws with kramnik and kasparov but for some reason some people insist that human are still equal or better.

I do not understand why they do it.

Uri
Thanks Uri....I also don't understand,but they still do it and they don't provide any kind of proof,just empty and worthless statements....
Right Doc. Just like your statement (your prediction before the match) that the human will be crushed like a bug...

Worthless... as you say.
He likes to think he knows....He's not anywhere close to GM strength, but he believes he knows more about chess then them... :lol:
If your GMs were capable of playing real chess,we wouldn't witness all the odd crap in the last years....
Remove your white rook and I'll move my black knight....circus,nothing more....
You need to show respect to GM's! Now why was I moderated?! No wonder GM's show contempt for this site!
Uri

Post by Uri »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Correct and I predict 85-15 for Rybka If Milov plays his best chess in best case....
Dr.D
I don't think that's true. A top GM like Topalov or Vadim can beat or at least equal Rybka when playing his best chess. While Rybka 3 might be very strong tactically, the GM is very strong strategically. The GM understands pawn play, piece mobility and space advantage much better than Rybka.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Uri wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Correct and I predict 85-15 for Rybka If Milov plays his best chess in best case....
Dr.D
I don't think that's true. A top GM like Topalov or Vadim can beat or at least equal Rybka when playing his best chess. While Rybka 3 might be very strong tactically, the GM is very strong strategically. The GM understands pawn play, piece mobility and space advantage much better than Rybka.
Rybka is going to play better positional moves than the GM thanks to search.
You simply underestimate the influence of search.

The GM may play better moves in some type of positions but he cannot force them in games.
The GM may play better some type of endgames but it may only help him to draw inferior positions because rybka is going to play better the middle game.

Uri
Uri

Post by Uri »

Uri Blass wrote:Rybka is going to play better positional moves than the GM thanks to search.
You simply underestimate the influence of search.
But a super GM can search very little or not at all but still find strong moves. It's because GMs play according to modern chess theory. They have eidetic memory and therefore can retrieve chess patterns from memory very quickly. GMs are very good pattern recognizers. If a computer doesn't search or searches very little, it's basically taking away its "sight".
Last edited by Uri on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Marc MP wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Uri wrote:This match proves that Rybka 3 and a top GM are about equally strong, the top GM being slightly stronger i think. If the games were without odds for the GM, i believe the match would have ended with a 4-4 draw.
No basis for your words.

The facts are that milov played exactly 2 games with white and hardly got one draw in them.

You cn claim that the GM did not play well but the same happened also in previous match when rybka got 6 wins and 2 draws with black against another strong GM(not super GM but GM with almost rating of 2600) and it is something that normal 2700 player cannot do.

All the evidence of the results suggest that computer programs are significantly stronger than humans and even programs that are significantly weaker than rybka on slower hardware could get draws with kramnik and kasparov but for some reason some people insist that human are still equal or better.

Uri
Thanks Uri....I also don't understand,but they still do it and they don't provide any kind of proof,just empty and worthless statements....
Right Doc. Just like your statement (your prediction before the match) that the human will be crushed like a bug...

Worthless... as you say.
He likes to think he knows....He's not anywhere close to GM strength, but he believes he knows more about chess then them... :lol:
If your GMs were capable of playing real chess,we wouldn't witness all the odd crap in the last years....
You need to show respect to GM's! Now why was I moderated?! No wonder GM's show contempt for this site!
I didn't complain about your post....I don't know....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Marc MP wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
No basis for your words.

Uri

Worthless... as you say.
I didn't complain about your post....I don't know....
No, I didn't think you did as you answered the post and I replied that the Rybka Team is at fault not the GM's. I don't like odds chess either.

Maybe this will be moderated as I brought up Rybka Team??

Anyway, it was needless moderation. But it seems an Iron Fist is among us.

Now I'm certain that won't go over well. Still I've the right to voice my concern. Or should have!

Terry