Mickey Mouse, Dick Nixon, Rolf, and Cheating Deep Blue Moves

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Mickey Mouse, Dick Nixon, Rolf, and Cheating Deep Blue M

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
bob wrote: Will you please pay attention for a minute?
Will you please behave here in this forum? This is not in one of your classes, Assistant Professor!
First, I am not an "assistant professor." Have not been one for a long time. Second, I _am_ "behaving".

This isnt Guantanamo either, where you can torture people anytime you want.

I know 100% that your memory sucks.
Not about this case it doesn't.... And for the record there is a big difference between "my memory" and "your imagination".

a) there was no press conference on game two day. During the following morning a team member told a radio atation or a TV channel what Kasparov now had urged them to do... So, I know for 100% that it was the team that went at first in public with that detail - not Kasparov. So, you dont remember the facts, but you are shouting it out loud. This is exactly how the prejudice goes... I promissed one Sam no longer to tell you my opinion about Americans in general.
Sorry, but there was a press conference _every_ day after the game was completed. I went back and looked at my notes. The comments by Kasparov came after game 3, not after game two. Ashley asked him if he was accusing IBM of having human intervention, to which he provided a slippery and evasive answer, never saying "no, of course not." Apparently he skipped the press conference after round 2, after resigning.

b) There was a break in game two. And this in connect with the later moves made K. suspicious and then he asked for the output. You are blinded by the stories Friedel told us about K. in shock and stuff like that after he was told that he could have made a draw in one position. Fine, but this isnt how a player like him functions. One or two moves earlier DB had a complete win in his hands, which K. realised. So that is kind of ironic that then suddenly K. could have found a deep draw. He didnt see it. Probably a human cant play this deeply anyway by mere calculating, so that for him it made no difference of drawing or losing. Much more important for K. was the question how deep the machine could really see and calculate and this was the shock when he realised that it still made so many mistakes but it should have played on his own 26 f4 and then later the cruel (GM Nunn) move Be4. Something didnt fit in K.'s eyes. So then he wanted to see the output what they refused. The break. The moves. Later the realising of the at least three mistakes by the machine. All that together was reason enough to make that condition.
I am not blinded by anything Friedel said, I watched as it actually unfolded. Several active posters (r.g.c.c) went to NYC to watch the event and reported on the daily events as they unfolded.

c) This afternoon I let Rybka 3 1cpu analyse the position after Black's 25th move. I had it in 2 var mode. Engine in CB9.

In the end when I stopped it were deeper than 21 and it had all the time the following solution:

26 Qf1 with then 27 f4 and a score of .46 but below .5 always
26 Bd1 etc without playing f4 with a score slighty lower

Commentary of Nunn at the time, that he knew not a single program that played f4 in that position. But as the clock was noticed, DB played it in 4 seconds. Allegedly. Again this was IMO after the break. I give just the data. May other and better experts make their mind up about all this. IMO it's not sound. And I dont doubt a second long that it's possible to tune a program so that it plays f4 at the instant. But as you often explain, THEN the overall strength might suck in return. You are the expert. You make your verdict about this.
And the point of this was? Kasparov never mentioned f4 as an issue. Only axb5 vs Qb6 where he thought all programs would play Qb6 because it appeared to win a pawn and he could not imagine a program not taking the pawn. Of course if you search deep enough on Qb6 you discover it does _not_ win an extra pawn, but that's just a minor problem with his overall reasoning.

d) Also I went to the IBM pages and tried to get into this report with the commentaries on the stage during game 2. Alas! The experts are quoted up to move 20 was it I think and then nothing more!! I will try to get the data from somewhere else but it's clear that the IBM guys are still thinking that it'better to hide the rest of the stage talks from the live game. Incl. the longer break!! Long live Guantanamo!

As I said now several times, all the above is just the assisting points for K. final suspicion. But the decisive point then became the refusal of the wanting the output. And in context then the goin public with K.s claim by the team member, I think it was Campbell.
Sorry. Kasparov made the cheating insinuation himself, standing on the stage with the IBM people. You don't get to rewrite history.

I wished that our little search now haS at least this result: that one couldnt sensibly say that K. acted like your repeatedly claimed stamping him as a jackass.
He did, and is...
Last edited by bob on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
mclane wrote:
Rolf wrote:Since when the charter here allows personal insults of other members, Czub? So we see the ridiculous and hypocritical show that you as a mod yourself violate the charter of this forum.

I just want to mention this to the attention to the other two mods.
where do i violate the charter of this forum by asking you a question, Tüschen ?!

because i know you maybe oversaw my question, i will repeat it again for you:

related with your own violation of ethical basics, was the scientific violation of ethical basics done by the team, suggested by you , higher than your own violations in ethics or lower ?

Since when the charter here allows personal insults of other members, Czub? So we see the ridiculous and hypocritical show that you as a mod yourself violate the charter of this forum.

why not just answer the question???
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:
mclane wrote:
Rolf wrote:Since when the charter here allows personal insults of other members, Czub? So we see the ridiculous and hypocritical show that you as a mod yourself violate the charter of this forum.

where do i violate the charter of this forum by asking you a question, Tüschen ?!

related with your own violation of ethical basics, was the scientific violation of ethical basics done by the team, suggested by you , higher than your own violations in ethics or lower ?

Since when the charter here allows personal insults of other members, Czub? So we see the ridiculous and hypocritical show that you as a mod yourself violate the charter of this forum.

Look, thankfully you're not the CIA, so I tell you this:

I answer the slimey question of a mod, that is only made to insult me, _only_ if I get protection from main mod Chris Whittington, who allows me to answer the question the way I want. And make no mistake I have a fabulous answer and it's also the truth. But it wouldnt be nice for Czub. So what do you want? My real answer or do you only want to insult me although the charter forbids it?

Look, I know that you have a special US right to humiliate people, by for instance insulting them that they are less worth than bacteria, that messages were written by monkey, that it's a pity that one's parents didnt opt for abortion, all such kind of insults in various choices up to direct death fantasies. And you think that you can misbehave because you are the American expert of CC.

Therefore it's ridiculous when Sam asked me to refreign from criticising American 'culture' and foul play.

Did you ever realise that I never speak in my own interests? That I defend Kasparov as a human being that is dehumanised here by certain people? By you and the IBM team? For all I do it in a community that doesnt care about such questions of human ethics.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Therefore it's ridiculous when Sam asked me to refreign from criticising American 'culture' and foul play.
When you get the urge to rant on 'culture', please do it in the "Chess Thinkers Forum" where I am sure comparisons of the great evils of various societies, historical and current, would be of interest to many. If you have a point to make about computer chess, it should be able to stand on its own without regard to the heredity or geolocation of the author of an opposing position. If you find yourself unable to present a coherent argument without referring to someone's tertiary characteristics, perhaps you need to revise your position.

Essentially, there is no need to bring issues up so completely unrelated to computer chess here.

-Sam

And keep your tongue in your mouth, you limey Kraut. :lol:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

he is not asking himself those kind of questions bob.

all others do. not him.

he believes he could continue spamming the forum with his "questions" of a newbie.

and call others cheaters,criminals, ethical low etc.

he believes chris w. would protect him like a mama is protecting his child if it cries.

this forum was made to do exactly the thing to stop people like him using a computerchess topic to insult others. the charta was mainly written having him in memory/mind with each line that was invented.

its enough now IMO.

enough of these psycho games of a newbie.

he can post about computerchess. IF he can.
but these endless debates about other peoples dirty laundry is IMO not made for CCC.

other peoples dirty laundry can be posted somewhere else.
this is about computerchess.

if he wants to talk about dirty laundry and other non computerchess topics,
ethics or whatever, he should do it in CTF where the moderation rules are less strict.

Enough.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

BubbaTough wrote:
When you get the urge to rant on 'culture', please do it in the "Chess Thinkers Forum" where I am sure comparisons of the great evils of various societies, historical and current, would be of interest to many. If you have a point to make about computer chess, it should be able to stand on its own without regard to the heredity or geolocation of the author of an opposing position. If you find yourself unable to present a coherent argument without referring to someone's tertiary characteristics, perhaps you need to revise your position.

Essentially, there is no need to bring issues up so completely unrelated to computer chess here.

-Sam

Sam, I dont get it. Why is Bob allowed to call Kasparov jackass? But I am not allowed to criticise Bob for such insults from my European perspective? Do you follow a double standard in that regard? Is Bob really allowed to insult people who defend Kasparov? Shouldnt we exchange opinions without insults at all?
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Sam, I dont get it. Why is Bob allowed to call Kasparov jackass? But I am not allowed to criticise Bob for such insults from my European perspective? Do you follow a double standard in that regard? Is Bob really allowed to insult people who defend Kasparov? Shouldnt we exchange opinions without insults at all?
I am not defending Bob I am attacking you :lol:. A number of people besides you have made statements on this board I deem inappropriate (I would probably throw swearing for example in the category of inappropriate in a post even though I am certainly guilty of it in real life). I also agree with you that moderators probably should be more reserved and careful in their comments (held to a higher standard regardless of provocation). I am just picking on you because of the quantity and recency of what I consider inappropriate content. To tell you the truth I am not particularly offended, but

1. I notice posts get long and drawn into uninteresting areas way too often when such issues are brought up.
2. Some people clearly are offended.

-Sam
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:
mclane wrote:

Look, thankfully you're not the CIA, so I tell you this:

I answer the slimey question of a mod, that is only made to insult me, _only_ if I get protection from main mod Chris Whittington, who allows me to answer the question the way I want. And make no mistake I have a fabulous answer and it's also the truth. But it wouldnt be nice for Czub. So what do you want? My real answer or do you only want to insult me although the charter forbids it?

Look, I know that you have a special US right to humiliate people, by for instance insulting them that they are less worth than bacteria, that messages were written by monkey, that it's a pity that one's parents didnt opt for abortion, all such kind of insults in various choices up to direct death fantasies. And you think that you can misbehave because you are the American expert of CC.

Did you ever realise that I never speak in my own interests? That I defend Kasparov as a human being that is dehumanised here by certain people? By you and the IBM team? For all I do it in a community that doesnt care about such questions of human ethics.
Kasparov has never been "dehumanized". He acted like a jackass. That's all.
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
BubbaTough wrote:

-Sam

I called Kasparov a jackass and gave a _precise_ reason for doing so. To accuse/imply someone cheated in such a match was a sure sign of a jackass at work. Simple enough.

I have not insulted anyone that defends Kasparov that I am aware of. I have certainly pointed out flaws in (mostly your) reasoning about the subject. If you consider that an insult, you have even more problems to deal with.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:
BubbaTough wrote:

-Sam

I called Kasparov a jackass and gave a _precise_ reason for doing so. To accuse/imply someone cheated in such a match was a sure sign of a jackass at work. Simple enough.

I have not insulted anyone that defends Kasparov that I am aware of. I have certainly pointed out flaws in (mostly your) reasoning about the subject. If you consider that an insult, you have even more problems to deal with.
I dont get it that you are incapable to grasp that you are not following consent for a neutral talking about a problem, scientific/research or how you may call it. Look, next time around I call you the man with the screwdriver in his ears or the Easter candles. And I will _precisely_ give the reasons for doing so. And then this would be allowed here??

You claim to be logically correct to say "To accuse/imply someone cheated in such a match was a sure sign of a jackass at work. Simple enough." And you are completely wrong with it.

It really blows my mind that an American Associate Professor (excuse the former notion, I really had confused it as the same because I always saw the three letter abreviation Ass.Prof., so sorry for that oversight) could speak out such an illogical nonsense.

You, Bob Hyatt, have yourself given me multimega reasons how everything in computerchess could be cheated and _why_ it only partially and for a short instant could be reveiled before the next level of the childish game "get me if you can" has been attained. Would you want to deny that?

But you are incapable of making the conclusion yourself, that then a human chessplayer, like every lay around, is open for all kind of suspicions and conspiracy theories? It blows my mind why your so highly educated and experienced friends in the DB/IBM team had no plan for such a development during the match. The way how they then reacted was indecent, impolite and a violation of several rules of scientific methodology. But you have the nerve to simply reduce the whole topic on K. simply being a "jackass".

Now what is this all about here? - Are you really the Ass.Prof., you are, with a kind of neutral, hate-free speech and a perspective for the decisive factors of a problem, or are you feeling like a running mate for a candidate in a political election in your country? Or like the trainer in a football team? Methinks you are confusing these levels more than necessary. It then is no wonder if I come to the conclusion that this sort of violent debating style must have some reasons in the origines of the particular actors. Not that Europeans were 'better' but I think academics at least should have learned to willingly decide to use a civilized speech.

Above all your personal style isnt interesting for the underlying question if the IBM team are the reason for the escalation that then brought K. to make his statements later, I think at minimum a day after his forfeit in game two, that the hand of God had interfered. But the evil was already done on that morning when the team member told the media that K. had accused them of cheating which he simply hasnt done. We must not repeat what we wrote in earlier messages. What Friedel was about etc.

Is it fair to say that in the end we can call the whole problem this way:

° computer science isnt a science, isnt an exact method either because it even cant exclude simple or smart cheating, so that the object is unknown that should be controlled and researched

° if a human being is participating in a sort of experimental design, it's possible beyond personal friendship and respect, that the psychology of the setting enforces suspicion and conspiracy in special if we speak of superstitious human beings as clients like in this case we are discussing here

I would say so. These two paragraphes describe the difficulties of the topic we are talking about. and this is possible do research without personal insults or envy. Or hate propaganda. Or stupid allegations of dirty laundry addictions.

You must realise that these aspects should be addressed in your field of computation tech. I for one, coming from physics, am pretty sure that a better control of the setting in machine chess is possible. Better control mechanisms might look odd but it's doable like in human chess too. And after all, Kasparov said it, it's important to have the topic in the contract itself. After the motto, everything must be especially forbidden what you dont want to happen. Which is insane compared to science. In science you dont forbid evil intentions but someone who was caught in the act or indirectly by proof, he wont be participating anymore. It's simple as that. To understand that you must first of all forget about watertight court verdict accorded proof.

In the case of the IBM match in 1997 my proof was made. They treated the suspicious K. with contempt, as if his quests of doubt would come from an alien and this was the unallowed incident because how could that be thought and done if you can show the many ways how it could all be cheated? You dont want to make these implications out of your own judgement?

Finally, dont you know how scientists proceed? I would be happy if you could show and prove exactly where and why I am wrong with all these questions and suppositions. Therefore it would be nice if you would better care for your allies who are just waiting for a signal from your side to go for a virtual slaughter in this forum. It looks as if people who ask questions must at first prove that they dont want to find out something fishy underneath. As if such a forum is made for the protection of stinking fish and dirty laundry. Thell me please that this isnt the case for the decisive people. Although it's breathtaking with what a big double standard you measure your own "scientifical" questioning and chasing of Vas and then in return your conservative protective wall like defense of your iBM buddies. That double standard stinks more than anything else.