ChessWar website : new layout by Norman Schmidt

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Olivier Deville

Re: ChessWar website : new layout by Norman Schmidt

Post by Olivier Deville »

Hi Rolf

I did get the joke and I did not feel offended at all.

The new website is indeed very easy to navigate.

Don't blame Norm about the colours. I chose them myself. But it happens that I suffer from a strange eyes disease that makes me see colours that normal people see otherwise. We may choose other colours in the future.

Olivier
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

INDEED!

Thanks Norman / Olivier...

Richard
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Rolf wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:One thing I like about the new layout is the ease of navigation. May be rolf should learn to shut his trap if he has nothing nice to say.
What is nice? If I betray my own (subjective) perceptions? Ridiculous. But in one way you've understood what I'm doing. I would NEVER write something in triumph if someone agreed with me, or if I agree with someone. What a foolish waste of time. But as a member here I only write if I think I have something to say from my personal also professional perspective. By definition that must be different to many other members here. But I cant write for the broad masses anyway. I can only advise those who often want to rebel against my messages: just discard them from your memory and ignore me. You do this way yourself but also myself a big service. But the continual nitpicking and insulting, the overall respectlessness, is speaking against yourself not against myself. Farewell, goat lover and family...
It's not the intend of the post that I am attacking, you could have just said, I do not like the lay out of the website. Instead you chose to use rather derogatory language.
in short crappy, with a bit froggy
Yes, agreed, but this wasnt against the webpage author but about the four or five former praising writers. And right into THEIR vocabulary. Now you must not understand what this means but I chose this to somehow just make a joke about such praises in the light of the at first really dull design. Without the other feedback I wouldnt have looked at the page at all. But in that situation I took a look and was striken by the apparent contradiction. Froggy wasnt MY vocabulary. It came from Johan de H. As I said I took it as a joke in view of the ugly greenish first version of the page design.

Ok, all together, would you now still think that I made an incredibly unallowed deragatory remark?? I dontg think so. It meant something completely different. But you for one could well admit once and for all that you dislike me. And you miss that I am trying practically the same what you are doing witgh your jokes, with my disadvantage of the weaker speech. But you really dont see at least some bits of joking in my usual messages? Alone my avatar. Isnt that fun? What made you so damn hateful? Why not ignoring me?
My fault Rolf, I misunderstood your message and for that I apologize.. Thanks for the clarification...
Harald

Post by Harald »

Hi

I do not remember the old layout. May be the new layout is better.
What I think at a first glimpse is this:

The functionality and the navigation works fine. But I did not test it very much.
The content is great. I just do not use it very much.
I like the simple style rduced to the facts and without flowers.
There is no animated picture or flash. Great!
The layout is ok with minor flaws.
I do not like the colours.

In Detail:
- I only looked at this page: http://www.open-aurec.com/chesswar/
- The page is far too dark. It looks like all the games are buried there and Rest In Peace.
- I do not like the dark violet colour on the top.
- The colour at the left side is ok. But it would be better if it was the
same blue as in the screen in the logo above.
- The colours are not harmonic. IMHO.
- The four buttons on top, "home, links, about, contact", are hard to see.
There is not enough contrast to the background colour.
They just flow somehere in the big top space.
Their rounded shadowed design does not fit to the rest of the page.
- I do not like the many buttons in the main part of the page.
There is too much cell and raster information compared to the text.
Especially the lower and right side of each button is too light compared to
all the other colours. It detracts the eye when reading.
Perhaps this could be avoided with other colours or line widths.
The yellow text colour of some buttons does not fit to dark black and blue.
- The page has light text on dark background

I would prefer
- a page that is lighter and brighter.
- has dark text on light background
- has harmonic colours, whatever that is.
- does not have too much raster lines around the text.

I have never designed an own homepage. I am not a design expert.
But you asked for my opinion. You got it :-)

Harald
Olivier Deville

Thanks Harald for the very detailed report.

Semms something has to be done, we'll see :)

Olivier
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Tony Thomas wrote: My fault Rolf, I misunderstood your message and for that I apologize.. Thanks for the clarification...
No need to apologize since I dont respect the usual superficilities of the USA anyway. In my books you cannot make continual smear and then apologize every 15 times. Let me speak it out in frankness. Since you are buddying with exactly those figures here I have nothing in common with and dont ever want to have something - after sufficient experiences, I just ask you if you wouldnt better skip my messages in future, I wont react anyway, so in my eyes it's only meant to besmear me in the eyes of your buddies if you address "me" as if you had a common level with me of some sort. One caveat. It might be that I must miss your humor because of my too low language knowledge but then I would likewise find it extremely impolite if you treated a foreigner with such nativism although you know that foreigners couldnt understand it. But impoliteness is seemingly no problem in your peer group anyway. It's beyond me why your kind is always avoiding direct contentwise arguments and instead is commenting all day long what shouldnt be written against whom and from what origine on, all these kind of idiotic sort of tagging something as partially taboo or completely unallowed and all such crap. Farewell.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Olivier Deville wrote:Hi Rolf

Don't blame Norm about the colours. I chose them myself. But it happens that I suffer from a strange eyes disease that makes me see colours that normal people see otherwise. We may choose other colours in the future.
Olivier
Thanks very much Olivier. Olivier, peutetre je te dis quelque chose en Francais. Excuse l'ecriture. Ca faut aller vite. :)

Si tu lis ce forum seulement tout les trois jours tu manques trop de choses. For example ice on m'a ecrit tant de chose pour m'insulter. En premiere ligne ton compagnon. A ce moment les mods avaitent corriges ces messages. Mais moi j'ai aucune idee pourquoi mon simple feedback est si mal comprone. C'est mon opinion rien de plus. Mais ici nous avons des gars qui aimont de faire taire les opinions publiques.

J'espere que nous entre Francais et Allemands nous faisont pas le fautes du passe et nour comprenons de faire les differences entre une critique formale et une contre les efforts en general que toi nous offre en amitie.

En ce sens je voulais te confirme que moi je voudrais jamais critises ton vrai boulot avex les testes.

Avec mes meilleurs veux pour toi. Rolf
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
gerold

Post by gerold »

Olivier Deville wrote:Thanks Harald for the very detailed report.

Semms something has to be done, we'll see :)

Olivier
Looks good to me Olivier.

Best to you,

Gerold.
Olivier Deville

Rolf wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:Hi Rolf

Olivier
Thanks very much Olivier. Olivier, peutetre je te dis quelque chose en Francais. Excuse l'ecriture. Ca faut aller vite. :)

Si tu lis ce forum seulement tout les trois jours tu manques trop de choses. For example ice on m'a ecrit tant de chose pour m'insulter. En premiere ligne ton compagnon. A ce moment les mods avaitent corriges ces messages. Mais moi j'ai aucune idee pourquoi mon simple feedback est si mal comprone. C'est mon opinion rien de plus. Mais ici nous avons des gars qui aimont de faire taire les opinions publiques.

J'espere que nous entre Francais et Allemands nous faisont pas le fautes du passe et nour comprenons de faire les differences entre une critique formale et une contre les efforts en general que toi nous offre en amitie.

En ce sens je voulais te confirme que moi je voudrais jamais critises ton vrai boulot avex les testes.

Avec mes meilleurs veux pour toi. Rolf
Merci Rolf, voici des paroles très agréables à lire :)

N'oublie pas que la personne qui a proposé de faire ce nouveau site est la même qui m'avait envoyé un clone. J'ai accepté car cela me semblait être un signe de bonne volonté de sa part. Des amis à moi travaillent maintenant à une nouvelle version du site.

Amicalement,

Olivier