On Robots

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Re: Sensory feature creep

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:that is to say i think they limit the strength by design
the consumer likes to be able to beat the computer every so often and gets discouraged by losing to the computer on its lowest level
loss after loss and the computer winds up in a closet somewhere or on Ebay
This part of the problem is easily solved by having an easy mode active by default with the full power mode being user selectable.

The other part of the problem is to distinguish among units from the same company that differ in price with the idea of extracting the maximum amount of profit per consumer. I think this is best done by adding non-strength features to the higher priced models.
fern

Post by fern »

I am glad to see you are repeating the arguments I gave here or elsewhere, long ago. Not that I say you copied me, but if you think the same as me, then the likelihood to be on the righ side increases a lot.
It is obvious to me and to you that the makers want thing to be like they are now. A happy winer is a better probable future consumer than a beaten one. In other times is was the oposite: serious players asked for more strenght and buyed the strongest unit available.
Now they ask nothing; they are not interested in dedicated stuff.
Nevertheless, considering that the extra cost of using a better processor and better program is marginal and that the fans of dedicated units are a sizeable number, as it is revealed by web places, it would have sense to produce a limited number of really good units at high price.
Here is when they, the makers, do not see the light.
They can manufacture anything in China at preposterous cost and still they do not take the chance to indulge us.
Perhaps every dedicated unit fan of the world should join and sign a list of petitioners aimed at Novag or Excalibur. Let them know how many we are.
BTW, funny as it can seems, Excalibur at last delivers 1700-1800 elo machines instead of the new shit by Novag.

My best
Fern
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote: This part of the problem is easily solved by having an easy mode active by default with the full power mode being user selectable.
Well ..easy mode will only stop the computer from pondering on the players move
a 2000 Elo computer with pondering off will still crush most casual players
but a computer rated 1500-1600 on its maximum level can be beaten by a casual player on its start up level
also believe it or not .. many brand new computers today do not ponder
the 2Robot does not ponder..nor do many of the Excalibur's
and i can say that pondering was disabled on some very popular Excalibur models on purpose ..for the reasons i mentioned earlier

my point is that i think its a possibility that the strength is limited on purpose..
perhaps i am mistaken but that would be my guess

Regards
Steve
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote: Perhaps every dedicated unit fan of the world should join and sign a list of petitioners aimed at Novag or Excalibur. Let them know how many we are.
Good idea Fern
i will personally contact all 15-20 of us and see if they will sign
:P
J/K Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:Well ..easy mode will only stop the computer from pondering on the players move
I probably should have used a different adjective that didn't have the non-ponder connotation. What I meant was a way to make a 2000 elo program play like a 1400 elo human as a default. Call it "fish mode" instead.

Personally, I think that dedicated handheld units are doomed because nearly everyone has an iPhone, iPod Touch, Palm, or similar general purpose digital toy that can run a 2000 elo chess program. That program will be much cheaper than an dedicated unit. Free programs could be easily downloaded.

On the other hand, there will always be a market for dedicated units that more accurately physically reflect traditional over the board combat, even for those who started their chessplaying days well into the computer age. I believe that's why models like Fidelity's, err, Excalibur's Grandmaster and Novag's Citrine (both auto-sensory) sell well.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote: Personally, I think that dedicated handheld units are doomed because nearly everyone has an iPhone, iPod Touch, Palm, or similar general purpose digital toy that can run a 2000 elo chess program. That program will be much cheaper than an dedicated unit. Free programs could be easily downloaded.
no argument there
speaking of handheld units
here is the very first handheld unit with LCD pieces.
this is the actual Father of all IPhones, EarPhones,Blackberries and Strawberries etc etc:

1980 Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

You mean collectors...They are a tiny bunch indeed....I talk of dedicated unit normal, sane users.
People like me with only around 30 or so machines.

You only see your tribe of lunatic regards
Fern
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote:I talk of dedicated unit normal, sane users.
People like me with only around 30 or so machines.
ah OK
lovers of the dedicated computers with less then 50 machines
for that group there are several thousand members ..perhaps even more

Much More Regards
Steve
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I just bought 5 more. :D
Bill
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Bill Rogers wrote:I just bought 5 more. :D
Bill
thats the ticket!
just checked your web site and i dont see them posted there yet
which ones?
when you receive them we need to see them for verification and authenticity purposes
:P

you should put your web site in your profile so members can click on your name..see the site in your profile and be whisked there in a flash

XXX Hardcore Collecting Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.