Computers vs Red Bull

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Computers vs Red Bull

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, based on these doping tests , if I drink a can of Red Bull before a match with Deeper Blue, would I lose the match for doping :shock:
krazyken

Re: Computers vs Red Bull

Post by krazyken »

Energy drinks do not contain anything that is on the prohibited substance list.
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

Where is the prohibited substance list? Is it the same for chess and other sports that WADA controls? I have searched a little bit lately, but I didn't find something really useful.

Edit: Sorry, I found it, it is here
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2 and it is the same for all sports after all.
Last edited by glorfindel on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

krazyken wrote:Energy drinks do not contain anything that is on the prohibited substance list.
Then what are these chess players, worried about? Article 1 and Article 2

P.S. I like your avatar :D
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

glorfindel wrote:Where is the prohibited substance list? Is it the same for chess and other sports that WADA controls? I have searched a little bit lately, but I didn't find something really useful.

Edit: Sorry, I found it, it is here
http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2 and it is the same for all sports after all.
If you look under the banned stimulants, then there are quite a few that could help chess players with their concentration.BZP is one, also Modafinal which is also known as Provigil which is used by people with sleep dis-orders and has been shown to increase mental performance in IQ tests when used by people with no medical reason for it.
krazyken

Post by krazyken »

Sean Evans wrote:
krazyken wrote:Energy drinks do not contain anything that is on the prohibited substance list.
Then what are these chess players, worried about? Article 1 and Article 2

P.S. I like your avatar :D
I assume they consider random sampling of their body to be an unjustified invasion of privacy.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

If you were to drink a can of redbull it wouldnt hurt you at all. A regular 8 oz of it only contains around 50 mg of caffein which is pretty mild considering that it is one of the best selling energy drinks. Yes, Caffein is sort of banned for sports but only at high levels, and other than providing alertness I doubt that it makes you extra smart...if that was the case, I would have been one smart mofo.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

In general, I would only support bans on substances which are known to have detrimental effects on health either short term or long term.Substances like caffeine have no long term repercussions for the user so that should be allowed.But things like cocaine are damageing to the nervous system so should be banned.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, I have a feeling that chess players that refuse to take the Pee-test, have something to hide. I understand one particular player protested heavily about the doping test.

The 2002 Bled Olympiad was the first to test for drugs through a urine sample. All 802 players passed. GM Jan Timman of the Netherlands refused to play in protest to the drug testing.

BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Cubeman wrote:In general, I would only support bans on substances which are known to have detrimental effects on health either short term or long term.Substances like caffeine have no long term repercussions for the user so that should be allowed.But things like cocaine are damageing to the nervous system so should be banned.
Agreed. No chess player should be allowed to smoke or drink...and they should all jog 5 miles a day and chug carrot juice.

-Sam