UltraFast-WBx

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Denis P. Mendoza

Re: UltraFast-WBx

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Edsel Apostol wrote:
Denis P. Mendoza wrote:I'm also testing many methods aside from Marc's ultrafast pack. But I'm seeking secondhand experience to improve my attempts especially using the bare Winboard interface. Using batch scripts is simpler and fits me as i only use a few engines for testing.

Arena is also one GUI to try command line testing. It doesn't need long commands as long as everything is set correctly in Arena (like engines). I only attempted as there was some notes in the help file. The only problem I encounter was engines take a lot of time to initialize before commencing start of game. In Winboard, its almost instant.

Here's an example from the help file:

Examples:

Arena.exe /fcp SOS /scp Crafty /lpf C:\Arena\123test.EPD /lpi 2 /mg 4 /inc 1 /tc 01:00

Starts Arena with first engine SOS, second engine Crafty for a match for 4 games with the second position of the specified EPD file in Fischer-clock-mode 1/1.
It isn't really important to do this as it's much easier to just use the GUI menus/functions plus the other SW like PSWTM, Winboard Manager. etc. I'm just trying to learn how to use these GUI/s in other ways.

Thanks.

Denis
Hi Kuya Denis,

Let me know if you found some other great methods.

I'm thinking of doing an open source project that will serve as a tournament manager utility for UCI engines that has a simple interface to adjust the tournament settings without the chessboard display and will run very fast games, but for now I don't know where to start and I doesn't even have time.

Edsel,

Your query started it all. But I'm not so familiar yet on how to do it, so I used the lamer's choice. Maybe a 'STEALTH' engine tournament in DOS mode would be something to think about too! No other running SW in background will speed-up the engines and games.

Thanks.

Denis
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Edsel Apostol wrote:By the way, I have tinkered with the winboard.ini to optimize it further. You can find my winboard.ini below. It hides other annoying displays and it was set to blindfold. My problem now is that I might have disabled showing the eval depths and score in the pgn and I don't know how to enable it again. :oops:
You should set /showThinking=true to have the engine send its depth/score to the GUI (so that it can save it in the PGN), but /hideThinkingFromHuman=true to prevent that it is displayed.

In this blindfold mode WinBoard should hardly consume any CPU time. The only display update will be the ticking of the clock and the printing of the new move in text. Unless you are running a virtual desktop (or Xwindow) on another machine, this should be negligible.
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

hgm wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote:By the way, I have tinkered with the winboard.ini to optimize it further. You can find my winboard.ini below. It hides other annoying displays and it was set to blindfold. My problem now is that I might have disabled showing the eval depths and score in the pgn and I don't know how to enable it again. :oops:
You should set /showThinking=true to have the engine send its depth/score to the GUI (so that it can save it in the PGN), but /hideThinkingFromHuman=true to prevent that it is displayed.

In this blindfold mode WinBoard should hardly consume any CPU time. The only display update will be the ticking of the clock and the printing of the new move in text. Unless you are running a virtual desktop (or Xwindow) on another machine, this should be negligible.
Thanks HG!