Computers vs Red Bull

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

krazyken

Re: Computers vs Red Bull

Post by krazyken »

BubbaTough wrote:
Cubeman wrote:In general, I would only support bans on substances which are known to have detrimental effects on health either short term or long term.Substances like caffeine have no long term repercussions for the user so that should be allowed.But things like cocaine are damageing to the nervous system so should be banned.
Agreed. No chess player should be allowed to smoke or drink...and they should all jog 5 miles a day and chug carrot juice.

-Sam
I usually prefer it if my opponents have been drinking.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5080

Grandmaster Vassily Ivanchuk refused to submit a urine sample for a drug test at the Chess Olympiad in Dresden and is now considered guilty of doping. The world of chess is outraged that he could face a two-year ban.
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

And just what kind of drug could he take that would make him a stronger chess player? Dumbest thing I ever heard of.
Bill
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Unlike other physical sports, I don't think there is a single drug that can make you smarter. More alert yes, but smarter ... I really doubt it. You could say that some mind altering drugs such as were taken by author of Alice in Wonderland will give you more imagination ... but I cannot imagine this to work with a chess game as we know chess ... although I think it would be interesting to watch say Ivanchuck try to convince his opponent that his Knight can also double as a Queen.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 19,00.html

It would certainly make sense for a chess player to take Ritalin or Modafinil. Both substances increase the ability to concentrate. Students take the drugs during exams, and doping inspectors test chess players for both substances.

Chess is a sport and anyone wishing to be part of the Olympics must submit to the rules of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Not all players agree. Cologne native Robert Hübner, for example, once ranked third in the world, stopped playing for the German national team in protest against doping tests. He refuses to accept the rules of modern sports, because he does not consider chess a sport. Instead, Hübner believes that it belongs in the "realm of cultural assets."
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

http://chessexpress.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... sting.html

"In 2004 both Shaun Press and Bobby Miller (Bermuda), refused to provide a sample to doping control at the Calvia Olympiad. We were then subject to a highly flawed disciplinary hearing (one member of the panel being a player I defeated earlier in the event), and at the end of the hearing we were both found guilty and had our points removed from the teams total (eg PNG went from 23 down to 15.5 points in the final standings).

So faced with a higher profile name then either myself or Bobby, and the possibilty that the 4th place team would be effectively disqualified, FIDE finally did what they should have done all along. They simply ignored Ivanchuk's offence and declined to hold a hearing. I'm not sure how they will explain this to WADA (World Anti Drug Agency), but I'm sure they'll find a way.

So now I find myself in the odd position of praising FIDE's stand on drug testing in chess. But praise them I must."