Stockfish 1.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Stockfish 1.1

Post by mcostalba »

This is Stockfish 1.1, an UCI engine derived from Glarung 2.1

This new version fixes few bugs and better tweaks some features. Now that I have gained a little bit more experience with testing, that is by far more difficult and tricky then coding, I think I have done a better job of picking the good out of the bad or neutral.

This version, poorely compiled by me, beats Stockfish 1.01 JA, something that normally doesn't happen.

But perhaps the biggest reason that has pushed me to release is a new, disabled, feature.

It is a new pruning technique that I would deem as interesting, but because is still experimental is disabled by default.

I will do a post in programming stuff section of this forum dedicated to this feature that I have called "Null capture pruning".

Please Jim, could you be so kind to properly compile this new toy? Thanks in advance.

Known issues

- As the original Glaurung 2.1, this engine is endian sensitive. Please read the README if you have a PowerPC Mac and you want to compile yourself.

- On 32 bit systems code must be compiled with -fno-strict-aliasing option, both under gcc and Intel C++ compiler, to avoid random crashes due to a pop_1st_bit() optimization. MSVC does not seem to have this problem.

Download

You can download sources (sf-1.1.zip) from:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5e33 ... b9a8902bda

Special thanks to Tord Romstad for his beautiful engine. It is very, very difficult to find a parameter that needs tuning. It seems everything has been througly tested and optmized.

It's a wonderful base to start off. If this engine, just few months of hacking, will demonstarte stronger then Glaurung it is mostly because of the very high quality of the original one.

Thanks
Marco
meschle

Re: Stockfish 1.1

Post by meschle »

Many thanks marco! :D Glad you continued the work :D
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
swami

Post by swami »

Thanks, Marco. :)
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

StockFish 1.1 by Marco Costalba

Windows Msvc++ p.g.o compiles, x64 & 32 bit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zuydnmnimd2

Jim.
meschle

Post by meschle »

Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Jim.
Thanks jim - i was waiting for your compile :D
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Jim Ablett wrote:Image

Jim.
Thanks master Jim :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

btw Why is it called "Stockfish"?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

James Constance wrote:btw Why is it called "Stockfish"?
Go figure it out by yourself,it's not hard at all :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

James Constance wrote:btw Why is it called "Stockfish"?
"Stockfish" is a form of dried, unsalted fish (usually cod) which is one of Norway's most important export commodities. Norwegians are awful cooks: We have been producing stockfish since more than thousand years, but we still haven't managed to use it for anything apart from surviving in a harsh climate. Today we don't use it much at all (at least not here in southern Norway), except for lutefisk, a popular but repulsive Christmas dish which rivals the ancient Spartan melas zomos as the most disgusting form of food ever invented by mankind.

Fortunately, people in more civilized parts of the world have been able to put the stockfish to good use, and make very delicious dishes from it. Our biggest export market for stockfish is Italy, in particular the region of Veneto, which (if I have understood correctly) is where Marco lives. The stockfish trade between Norway and Veneto dates back to the 15th century, when a Venetian merchant and nobleman shipwrecked in a storm and stranded on Røst, a tiny and very remote archipelago in the far north of Norway, where the inhabitants have always lived by making stockfish.

I think it's a wonderful and very creative name for an Italian chess program based on a Norwegian engine.

Tord
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

mcostalba wrote: ...
But perhaps the biggest reason that has pushed me to release is a new, disabled, feature.

It is a new pruning technique that I would deem as interesting, but because is still experimental is disabled by default.

I will do a post in programming stuff section of this forum dedicated to this feature that I have called "Null capture pruning".

Please Jim, could you be so kind to properly compile this new toy? Thanks in advance.
Many thanks for Stockfish and the new release. I've just downloaded Jim Abletts compile but cannot find the new feature
regards
Peter.