Stockfish 1.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Re: Stockfish 1.1

Post by mcostalba »

Tord Romstad wrote:
James Constance wrote:btw Why is it called "Stockfish"?
"Stockfish" is a form of dried, unsalted fish (usually cod) which is one of Norway's most important export commodities. Norwegians are awful cooks: We have been producing stockfish since more than thousand years, but we still haven't managed to use it for anything apart from surviving in a harsh climate. Today we don't use it much at all (at least not here in southern Norway), except for lutefisk, a popular but repulsive Christmas dish which rivals the ancient Spartan melas zomos as the most disgusting form of food ever invented by mankind.

Fortunately, people in more civilized parts of the world have been able to put the stockfish to good use, and make very delicious dishes from it. Our biggest export market for stockfish is Italy, in particular the region of Veneto, which (if I have understood correctly) is where Marco lives. The stockfish trade between Norway and Veneto dates back to the 15th century, when a Venetian merchant and nobleman shipwrecked in a storm and stranded on Røst, a tiny and very remote archipelago in the far north of Norway, where the inhabitants have always lived by making stockfish.

I think it's a wonderful and very creative name for an Italian chess program based on a Norwegian engine.

Tord
:D :D :D Great Tord!

Actually I have serious doubts that you can measure the civilization level of a country by the quality of its cousine...thanks anyway!

Marco
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

peter wrote:
Many thanks for Stockfish and the new release. I've just downloaded Jim Abletts compile but cannot find the new feature
regards
Peter.
Very sorry, this is my fault. Actually to enable the feature it is needed to change a setting in the sources, to be correct in search.cpp

from

const bool UseNullCapturePruning = false;

to

const bool UseNullCapturePruning = true;

I am very sorry I missed to add the corresponding UCI option parameter.

Now I am testing with different kind of pruning logics, as soon as I will find the best one I will repost with the possibility to enable parameter from UCI options.

Anyhow the default version should be the strongest for now. The feature being highly experimental is mainly intended for developers.

I will repost as soon as I found something clearly stronger then default.

Sorry again.
Marco
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Jim Ablett wrote:Image
StockFish 1.1 by Marco Costalba

Windows Msvc++ p.g.o compiles, x64 & 32 bit.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zuydnmnimd2

Jim.
Thanks Jim, very appreciated as usual!

Marco
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

It's interesting to see a logical connection between the names "Glaurung" and "Stockfish". OTOH, I don't know of a logical connection between the names "Fruit" and "Toga". I wonder if "toga" was chosen because it seems to be an abbreviation for the co-author's name?
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Tord Romstad wrote:
James Constance wrote:btw Why is it called "Stockfish"?
"Stockfish" is a form of dried, unsalted fish (usually cod) which is one of Norway's most important export commodities. Norwegians are awful cooks: We have been producing stockfish since more than thousand years, but we still haven't managed to use it for anything apart from surviving in a harsh climate. Today we don't use it much at all (at least not here in southern Norway), except for lutefisk, a popular but repulsive Christmas dish which rivals the ancient Spartan melas zomos as the most disgusting form of food ever invented by mankind.

Fortunately, people in more civilized parts of the world have been able to put the stockfish to good use, and make very delicious dishes from it. Our biggest export market for stockfish is Italy, in particular the region of Veneto, which (if I have understood correctly) is where Marco lives. The stockfish trade between Norway and Veneto dates back to the 15th century, when a Venetian merchant and nobleman shipwrecked in a storm and stranded on Røst, a tiny and very remote archipelago in the far north of Norway, where the inhabitants have always lived by making stockfish.

I think it's a wonderful and very creative name for an Italian chess program based on a Norwegian engine.

Tord
Very interesting, thanks!