About engine logos

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirill Kryukov

About engine logos

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi world! I have a couple of questions about engine logos.

Which is the most popular format - 100x50 or 130x65? or something different?

Is it correct that most of logos are created in 130x65 format? And then those who need 100x50 simply resize them? Or the other way around? Or different sizes are created independently?

What do you think about seeing engine logos in a rating list - good, bad, don't care?

Last but not least, any links to collections of logos will be appreciated. (If those logos are free to use).

Thanks! :D
swami

Re: About engine logos

Post by swami »

Kirill Kryukov wrote:Hi world! I have a couple of questions about engine logos.

Which is the most popular format - 100x50 or 130x65? or something different?

Is it correct that most of logos are created in 130x65 format? And then those who need 100x50 simply resize them? Or the other way around? Or different sizes are created independently?

What do you think about seeing engine logos in a rating list - good, bad, don't care?

Last but not least, any links to collections of logos will be appreciated. (If those logos are free to use).

Thanks! :D
Engine logos appear better when it's 130 x 65 in Arena.

Engine logos in rating list - good, Patrick Buchannan has it in UEL, If you've all that time, I say go for it :)

I think Jim Ablett has all the logo collections, just google up his site.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

I never saw any use for engine logos, other than as forum avatar, to make it possible to quickly associate a poster with a certain engine. I hope you won't pollute the ratinglists with them. It would make them look so much less serious...
swami

Post by swami »

hgm wrote:I never saw any use for engine logos, other than as forum avatar, to make it possible to quickly associate a poster with a certain engine. I hope you won't pollute the ratinglists with them. It would make them look so much less serious...
You have to accept the possibility that considerable number of people get bored and demotivated if they were to routinely run the tournament without logos :wink:
hgm

Post by hgm »

So why not have engine anthems in stead, played before every game, like in the World Cup?

The engines could then sing along with the GUI, or have their King dance on the rythm of the beat. :lol:
Last edited by hgm on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swami

Post by swami »

hgm wrote:So why not have engine anthems in stead, played before every game, like in the World Cup? :lol:
Nah, that'd take too much time :)
hgm

Post by hgm »

Of course you could also play the anthem for the white engine as background music during the game. That would not take any extra time. Music is far more important than logos, watching a Chess game without music is really no fun at all!
swami

Post by swami »

hgm wrote:Of course you could also play the anthem for the white engine as background music during the game. That would not take any extra time. Music is far more important than logos, watching a Chess game without music is really no fun at all!
You do have a point! but doesn't it eat up memory when it's played in the background especially in the GUI?!

If it doesn't, then I think every engine author should come up with their own lyrics and music. :wink:
swami

Post by swami »

hgm wrote:The engines could then sing along with the GUI, or have their King dance on the rythm of the beat. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

I agree with Swami, the 130x65 size is better. Here's the link to my logo creations, and they are totally free. :-)

http://www.geocities.com/davedahlem/my_logos.html

Regards
Dave