PocketGrandmaster 4.0 now supports FICS/ICS

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kai Skibbe

PocketGrandmaster 4.0 now supports FICS/ICS

Post by Kai Skibbe »

Hi,

PocketGrandmaster 4.0, a fully featured and strong shareware-chess program for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs is now available from

http://www.pocketgrandmaster.com

Most important improvements:
  • * Full support for WVGA (HTC Touch HD) and square screen devices.
    * Play online on the Free Internet Chess Server (FICS) and the server of the Internet Chess Club (ICS).
    • - Play against players from all over the world (works well even without registration on FICS).
      - Observe other games played on the server.
      - Post seek ads or reply to posted ads.
      - Adjourn and continue games.
      - Chat with other players
      - Directly send commands to the chess-server and display the results.
    * Support for cut&paste in most windows, you could for example cut&paste a movelist to an email.
    * Mosts lists (games in a database, observable games, seek-ads) can be sorted by a tap on the colum header now.
    * The WVGA-layout saves previous PVs by the engine in a listbox.
    * and various small improvements and bugfixes.
The update from PocketGrandmaster 3.x to 4.0 is
  • * free for all users, who bought PocketGrandmaster after 18th December 2005 and
    * only costs US$12.50 (50% reduction) for users, who registered PocketGrandmaster before 18th December 2005, see https://usd.swreg.org/soft_shop/2807/
For more information about PocketGrandmaster, please visit
http://www.pocketgrandmaster.com

Have fun testing it,
Frank Schneider, Kai Skibbe

adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Re: PocketGrandmaster 4.0 now supports FICS/ICS

Post by adams161 »

hi,

I've considered getting some kind of portable device like a pocket pc, in order to use chess servers (like for example at work i have some free time at times and privacy where i work but the network doesnt allow chess servers so a pocket pc could mean logging in checking messages a bit of chat etc.) so i have a few questions.

One i would mostly use pocket grandmaster to log onto servers and chat. How hard is it to type on a pocket pc keyboard? I could see that i might not be as engaged in chat and spend more time watching chat. Can this be done easily with this program? like have a channel open and occcasionaly type?

The second is i never undertood how internet works with the pocket pc. I dont have wifi to use so i'd need like some type of cellular internet i guess tht works with the device anywhere. Is the pocket pc internet something you can buy for a monthly fee and if so who do you buy from? how much roughtly does it go for amonth? Is it fairly zippy? My cell phone has this real cheap 10 dollar a month internet but its low quality. i find it ok for looking at pages in the portal ( my cell phone doesnt have a keyboard) like cnn, but even that is very slow to load pages, but still fun to do when i'm somewhere waiting and want to read. So is the pocket pc internet like somewhat zippy? I dont care about large bandwith abilities, i dont intend to make large downloads, but i want responsivness.

Finnaly how much does a pocket pc go for roughly? I'm thinking this might make somethign to get for myself for christmas.

Mike
meschle

Post by meschle »

Thanks kai and frank :D

I see keyboard and engine name in title bar bugs have been fixed so i am grateful - good job! :D
Regards Mark

Quad Q6600 3.0 Ghz, Vista 64bit, 4gb Ram
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

Thanks for the upgrade! Your program is really excellent value!