On Robots

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: Lowest elo for a dedicated unit?

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote: I didn't know about the other two modules. Perhaps they weren't big sellers. And now that you mention it, it really wasn't a pocket sized unit.

I may still have it someplace. I didn't play against it much because it was too easy to beat and I really don't like the peg format.
the add on modules for the Mini Sensory can be seen here:
the last three photos on this page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... l/?page=10

and the first two photos on this page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... l/?page=11
sje wrote:

I recall matching it against an early version of my old program Spector. It was Spector's first game against a commercial unit and my program, then quite weak itself, won easily.
well commercial units have come a long way since then as well
perhaps one day we can give Spector a go against one of the high end dedicated units much like Thorsten and I did with Charles's Telepath

Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:perhaps one day we can give Spector a go against one of the high end dedicated units much like Thorsten and I did with Charles's Telepath
Well, Spector was developed on a Macintosh Plus some 21 years ago; the machine and OS had neither multiprocessing nor protected memory. The last time I tried to run Symbolic under Unix, it got a segment fault and I've got no motivation to debug the thing.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote: Well, Spector was developed on a Macintosh Plus some 21 years ago; the machine and OS had neither multiprocessing nor protected memory. The last time I tried to run Symbolic under Unix, it got a segment fault and I've got no motivation to debug the thing.
OK then .. when Symbolic finishes wiping the field in CCT9.. then i stand ready to put it to a REAL test against a high end dedicated computer
:o

Good Luck Regards
Steve
sje

Post by sje »

Steve B wrote:OK then .. when Symbolic finishes wiping the field in CCT9.. then i stand ready to put it to a REAL test against a high end dedicated computer
I rather doubt that a 2400 elo program will wipe the CCT field.

However, Symbolic has won each and every of many games it has played against the Citrine, and these were at time controls ranging from game/30 minutes to 40/150 minutes. In only one game did the Citrine come close to getting a draw (by repetition).

In defense of the Citrine, I'll say that it always put up a good fight and went down swinging. In none of the games did it get mushed in the first dozen or so moves. And the level of play can be upped to GM strength given its serial port and a cooperating program operating on a connected computer.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

sje wrote:
Steve B wrote:OK then .. when Symbolic finishes wiping the field in CCT9.. then i stand ready to put it to a REAL test against a high end dedicated computer
I rather doubt that a 2400 elo program will wipe the CCT field.

However, Symbolic has won each and every of many games it has played against the Citrine, and these were at time controls ranging from game/30 minutes to 40/150 minutes. In only one game did the Citrine come close to getting a draw (by repetition).

In defense of the Citrine, I'll say that it always put up a good fight and went down swinging. In none of the games did it get mushed in the first dozen or so moves. And the level of play can be upped to GM strength given its serial port and a cooperating program operating on a connected computer.
well i do have a few chess computers rated at or near or above 2400
anyway just a suggestion for a future matchup
Regards
Steve