Vishy Anand's 12 million game database

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Vishy Anand's 12 million game database

Post by James Constance »

Anand quote from http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5109
The first chess database had about twenty thousand games. Now my own database consists of twelve million games. Nowadays it's impossible to thoroughly study the game without computers," he said.
Is it possible he doesn't know how to remove doubles? Or doesn't like to remove them??

Merry Xmas!

James :)
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Re: Vishy Anand's 12 million game database

Post by Stephen Ham »

James Constance wrote:Anand quote from http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5109
The first chess database had about twenty thousand games. Now my own database consists of twelve million games. Nowadays it's impossible to thoroughly study the game without computers," he said.
Is it possible he doesn't know how to remove doubles? Or doesn't like to remove them??

Merry Xmas!

Very funny! :)

OK, so Vishy has quantity, but does he have equivalent quality. I don't think that's possible.

Amassing all the "quality" OTB, correspondence, engine, and centaur chess games will surely produce a figure of no more than three million, and probably quite a lot less.

So to reach that 12MM number, he's collected the games of weaker players and games played under less than ideal tournament conditions. So, sorting the "wheat from the chaff" with those is a waste of time.

All the best,
Steve
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Stephen Ham wrote:
James Constance wrote:Anand quote from http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5109

Merry Xmas!

Very funny! :)

OK, so Vishy has quantity, but does he have equivalent quality. I don't think that's possible.

Amassing all the "quality" OTB, correspondence, engine, and centaur chess games will surely produce a figure of no more than three million, and probably quite a lot less.

So to reach that 12MM number, he's collected the games of weaker players and games played under less than ideal tournament conditions. So, sorting the "wheat from the chaff" with those is a waste of time.

All the best,
Steve
Marcel van Kervinck collected games (using an automated script) from rated players only on FICS at 30 minutes per game or slower time control. Last I heard (several years ago) he had 13 million games.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Stephen Ham wrote:OK, so Vishy has quantity, but does he have equivalent quality. I don't think that's possible.

I don't know that this is entirely true. Of course, it is quite hard to eliminate all games considered weak or the like. If you reduce a database to only master games then yes, there is no question you will have a LOT less than 3 million. Still, is it that simple? If you want to prepare in a detailed way against an opponent, it can be interesting to see the player's games when they were young and how and what they played. For an instructor, those thousands of national youth championship games of sub-12 players is a real boon, whereas to a player like Gelfand, it would be useless waste. Who is to say what is valuable or not?

Even pure correspondence game databases such as UltraCorr2 by Tim Harding are already approaching the magic million number, where you will find many rare resources including many postal games by the likes of Alekhine or Keres, which you may not find elsewhere.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Albert Silver wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:OK, so Vishy has quantity, but does he have equivalent quality. I don't think that's possible.

I don't know that this is entirely true. Of course, it is quite hard to eliminate all games considered weak or the like. If you reduce a database to only master games then yes, there is no question you will have a LOT less than 3 million. Still, is it that simple? If you want to prepare in a detailed way against an opponent, it can be interesting to see the player's games when they were young and how and what they played. For an instructor, those thousands of national youth championship games of sub-12 players is a real boon, whereas to a player like Gelfand, it would be useless waste. Who is to say what is valuable or not?

Even pure correspondence game databases such as UltraCorr2 by Tim Harding are already approaching the magic million number, where you will find many rare resources including many postal games by the likes of Alekhine or Keres, which you may not find elsewhere.

Albert
Hello Albert,

I agree. And since we're discussing Anand's database, then your comment regarding Gelfand applies all the more, "...whereas to a player like Gelfand, it would be useless waste."

So the surplus games are a waste. It's an even greater waste of Anand's time and energy trying to sift the proverbial "wheat from the chaff" from those games.

Happy Holidays!

Steve