Wiktionary - computer chess up for deletion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Wiktionary - computer chess up for deletion

Post by Sean Evans »

Hello, the self editing online dictionary called Wiktionary has an entry for "computer chess" an editor has nominated for deletion as not being a worthy word for being in Wiktionary. Anyone can participate in the discussion to keep/delete the word in Wiktionary. If you wish to participate go here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionar ... uter_chess
Dirt

Re: Wiktionary - computer chess up for deletion

Post by Dirt »

Sean Evans wrote:Hello, the self editing online dictionary called Wiktionary has an entry for "computer chess" an editor has nominated for deletion as not being a worthy word for being in Wiktionary. Anyone can participate in the discussion to keep/delete the word in Wiktionary. If you wish to participate go here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionar ... uter_chess
I think the term is reasonably clear if you know what "computer" and "chess" mean, so I'm ok with the idea of deleting it.

You reminded me that sometime back I added drawish to the Wiktionary. Someone has since added links and other cleanup, and it's now on allwords.com, too.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, I think it goes a little deeper than that, the question is:

"Is computer chess a word/term that should be in the dictionary."

It seems many of you are dedicated to the word/term computer chess, so I believe that it is incumbent upon us to ensure the word/term computer chess has an entry in Wikitionary and is defined properly.

Cordially,

Sean
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

There is another word that means exactly the same thing and I believe it would win approval of those in charge. The word is "compuchess".
:D