I Just solved chess for all time...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

I Just solved chess for all time...

Post by fern »

Very simple: I do not play it anymore. Too much time expended instead of writing, my real ocupation and where my skill is. Chess becomes, in time, kind of an obsession, a pathetic one, a sick one. Alcohol, drugs and sex at least gives real pleasure as much as they works. Chess never does, exception made you are one of the top ten. What it gives is a mix of feverish excitement, eensured frustration and exhaustion trough arid calculations that goes to nowhere.
If ever Einstein, a bad player, has been caught by this fever, chances are special relativity paper has not been ever issued.

Ok, I will leave this unanswerable post just here. One of my dedicated units is waiting for me....

fern
pavel

Re: I Just solved chess for all time...

Post by pavel »

fern wrote:Very simple: I do not play it anymore. Too much time expended instead of writing, my real ocupation and where my skill is. Chess becomes, in time, kind of an obsession, a pathetic one, a sick one. Alcohol, drugs and sex at least gives real pleasure as much as they works. Chess never does, exception made you are one of the top ten. What it gives is a mix of feverish excitement, eensured frustration and exhaustion trough arid calculations that goes to nowhere.
If ever Einstein, a bad player, has been caught by this fever, chances are special relativity paper has not been ever issued.

Ok, I will leave this unanswerable post just here. One of my dedicated units is waiting for me....

fern
You know, you can get drunk, have sex and play chess at the same time... shoot; you didn't know that?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote: Chess never does, exception made you are one of the top ten. What it gives is a mix of feverish excitement, eensured frustration and exhaustion trough arid calculations that goes to nowhere.
Yes
as the great Dutch Chess Author Hans Ree once opined...
"Chess is Worth Wasting a Lifetime On.."

for those members who believe in Reincarnation i would add..

worth wasting several lifetimes on..

as to Einsteins Special Theory
who needs it anyway?
that and 10 bucks gets me a small regular Coffee in NYC

Waxing Philosophic Regards
Steve
fern

Post by fern »

I only do one thing at a time. From now on I will concenttrate in one of the others.

Fern
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

fern wrote:Very simple: I do not play it anymore. Too much time expended instead of writing, my real ocupation and where my skill is. Chess becomes, in time, kind of an obsession, a pathetic one, a sick one. Alcohol, drugs and sex at least gives real pleasure as much as they works. Chess never does, exception made you are one of the top ten. What it gives is a mix of feverish excitement, eensured frustration and exhaustion trough arid calculations that goes to nowhere.

fern
I nearly solved LIFE for all time.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

fern wrote:I only do one thing at a time. From now on I will concenttrate in one of the others.

Fern
Dear Friend
i think you have abandoned chess more times over the years then there are total possible moves in a chess game

10 to the 41st Regards
Steve
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If you think playing chess is an evil, time wasting habit, you should try programming chess.
A far more debilitating disease, and without cure, I am afraid (occasionally people go into remission, but almost invariably the disease strikes again with even more vengence later in life.).
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dann Corbit wrote:If you think playing chess is an evil, time wasting habit, you should try programming chess.
A far more debilitating disease, and without cure
, I am afraid (occasionally people go into remission, but almost invariably the disease strikes again with even more vengence later in life.).
Believe me Dann,making a decent opening book under the Arena GUI is almost as bad :?
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Fern
I think I know what you problem might be and it is that you have gotten in a rut when playing chess.
Here is something for you to try.

First get a good bottle of wine and make sure you keep track of the lable.
Second get a good tasting cheese.
Then pour your self a glass of the wine and keep the cheese close by then start the game of chess. Make a move, take a bite of cheese and a sip of wine. Continue till all is gone.
If after the bottle is empty if you don't feel any better about cheese, then buy a different kind of wine and maybe cheese and start over again.
Eventually you will find the right combination of wine and cheese to go with you chess playing.
Good luck and let us know how this works out.
Bill :D
Steelman

Post by Steelman »

Dann Corbit wrote:If you think playing chess is an evil, time wasting habit, you should try programming chess.
A far more debilitating disease, and without cure, I am afraid (occasionally people go into remission, but almost invariably the disease strikes again with even more vengence later in life.).
My first attempt at playing chess was in to early 1970's.
My first attempt at a chess program was about in 1983 on a TI-99A computer. Then gave it up for years.
Second attempt was about 1988 on a "mini main frame" running UNIX. This version was pretty good. Then gave it up.
Third attempt was around the mid 1990's. Gave it up again.
And now my last attempt was around 4 years ago and I am still working on it. I give it a few more years and .........

Perhaps what happens is later in life you have more time to waste?