Most 'excelling' Tournament Performances?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

guyhaw

Most 'excelling' Tournament Performances?

Post by guyhaw »

In which tournaments did a player most exceed their ELO rating with their Performance Rating - pre the computer-age, and during the computer-age?

Guy
LaurenceChen

Re: Most 'excelling' Tournament Performances?

Post by LaurenceChen »

Pre-Computer Era
Bobby Fischer: 2796 in Stockholm (Interzonal), 1962, scoring 15.5/20 (78%) vs 2615-rated opposition

Post Computer Era
Anatoly Karpov: 2899 in Linares, 1994, scoring 11/13 (85%) vs 2729-rated opposition

Just remember, Bobby Fischer was the first player to break the 2700 ELO barrier.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

For that, Sofia Polgar's 8.5/9 in Rome 1989 is a candidate. According to her report, she had an Elo of below 2300, but achieved a performance of over 2900.

http://www.sofiapolgar.com/Rome.aspx?
Regards, Mike
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

LaurenceChen wrote:Pre-Computer Era
Bobby Fischer: 2796 in Stockholm (Interzonal), 1962, scoring 15.5/20 (78%) vs 2615-rated opposition

Post Computer Era
Anatoly Karpov: 2899 in Linares, 1994, scoring 11/13 (85%) vs 2729-rated opposition

Just remember, Bobby Fischer was the first player to break the 2700 ELO barrier.
I do not think that these are good candidate.

The question was not about best performance but about best performance minus rating and you even did not care to reduce the rating of Bobby Fischer in 1962

I also remember that Bobby fischer won one of the usa championship with 100% score so this tournament may be a better candidate.

Uri
james uselton

Post by james uselton »

In 1969, a bicycle shop worker took some time off and entered the 1969 Vidmar memorial. I dont know how an unknown got into such a prestigious tournament. His name was Albin Planinc and he finished first ahead of Gligoric, Unzicker, Tringov, Byrne and others. Because he had no titles fide awarded him the IM title. For a while, in 1969, he was the talk of the chessworld.

If anyone can pronounce his name---I'm all ears! :)
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

According to Wikipedia articles, Planinc (later: Planinec) was a national champion of 1965, of the former Yugoslavia as I assume, and champion of Slovenia 1968 and 1971. So he wasn't entirely unkown. But since FIDE Elos were introduced 1970 AFAIK, there is no rating/performance comparison for a 1969 event. Maybe the Sonas ratings can be used instead (Chessmetrics).

As TWIC reported with no. 737, Albin Planinec has died just recently, on Dec. 20th, 2008.

http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic737.html#22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albin_Planinc
Regards, Mike
james uselton

Post by james uselton »

I dont see in the Wikipedia article where he was national champion of Yugoslavia in 1964. If that were the case, dont you think he would have been at least an IM and probably a GM since the players he would have faced were Gligoric, Matulovic, Parma, Velimrovic, Ivkov, Nikolic...

The guy never won a national championship of any kind that I can find on the internet. The Wikipedia says he won a youth championship---but what is that and where the hell is Slovenia?

I'm just a poor lad seeking a chess education! :D