WinBoard 4.3.15 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

krazyken

Re: WinBoard 4.3.15 released

Post by krazyken »

hmm, It does appear to be a bug in Gibbon, other engines aren't giving me this trouble.

Code: Select all

558582 <second&#58; 6 -75 0 216 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Rb2 Rfe8 Ng5 Qd5
558584 <second&#58; 7 -75 0 252 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Rb2 Rfe8 Ng5 Qd5
558584 <second&#58; 8 -75 0 288 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Rb2 Rfe8 Ng5 Qd5
560091 <second&#58; 9 -67 0 637439 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Ne5 Qd4 Nd3 Rfe8 Bc7 Rd5 Nxc5 Rxc5
572429 <second&#58; 10 -87 1 5373680 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Ne5 Qd4 Nd3 Rd5 Nxc5 g6 Kg2 bxc5
572730 <second&#58; 10 -87 1 5508004 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Be3
575535 <second&#58; 10 -86 2 6590991 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Ne5 Qd4 Nd3 Rfe8 Rc2 Re4 Qc3
575535 <second&#58; 10 -86 2 6590991 Rad8 Qb3 Qe4 Ne5 Qd4 Nd3 Rfe8 Rc2 Re4 Qc3

it appears Gibbon is lying. The numbers on the left are timestamps? I can use those to get a better number I guess. appears to be off by about a factor of 1000 (plus rounding).
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, the leading numbers are time stamping with the XBoard internal clock, which accounts time in milliseconds. So apparently Gibbon reports in seconds, while it is supposed to account in milliseconds.

The XBoard format for printing NPS is a bit foolish, though, and I have the impression it is not what Allesandro intended: he compares the nodes-per-centisecond with 100,000, and if it is lower prints NPcS*100 as int, while if it is higher it prints NPcS/10 as a float with 1 decimal place, with 'k' behind it. So the switch occurs at 10,000,000 NPS, which is then printed as 10,000.0k. But with so many digits already the extra decimal is quite supefluous. My guess is that the switchover was intended at 100,000 NPS rather than 100,000NPcS, so that it would ly at a more reasonable value, and be printed as 100.0k. Then you could argue that an extra decimal makes sense, if you want this NPS number to 0.1% accuracy.
slobo

Post by slobo »

Hi Harm,

there is a bug in a new Winboard.

I have four shortcut files. In one of them I have this command line

C:\Chess_Winboard\WinBoard\winboard.exe /ini i-wood-dave.ini

The content of i-wood-dave.ini file is:
==================================
;
; Set bitmap background for Chess board
;
/liteBackTextureFile="textures/wood_dave_light.bmp"
/darkBackTextureFile="textures/wood_dave_dark.bmp"
/liteBackTextureMode=2
/darkBackTextureMode=2
;
;
; prevent this from automatically becoming standard setting
;
/saveSettingsOnExit=false

=========================

But, when I save the Current Settings from Option menu, Save Settings Now, the content of my short command line ini file is replaced by the winboard.ini file.

SL
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

slobo wrote:there is a bug in a new Winboard.

I have four shortcut files. In one of them I have this command line

C:\Chess_Winboard\WinBoard\winboard.exe /ini i-wood-dave.ini

The content of i-wood-dave.ini file is:
==================================
;
; Set bitmap background for Chess board
;
/liteBackTextureFile="textures/wood_dave_light.bmp"
/darkBackTextureFile="textures/wood_dave_dark.bmp"
/liteBackTextureMode=2
/darkBackTextureMode=2
;
;
; prevent this from automatically becoming standard setting
;
/saveSettingsOnExit=false

=========================

But, when I save the Current Settings from Option menu, Save Settings Now, the content of my short command line ini file is replaced by the winboard.ini file.
Isn't that by design? The option saveSettingsOnExit applies only when exiting the program, not when you explicitly save settings from the menu.
hgm

Post by hgm »

slobo wrote:But, when I save the Current Settings from Option menu, Save Settings Now, the content of my short command line ini file is replaced by the winboard.ini file.
If it would be like you say, this would be a bug.

But for me, the settings are saved not in the small file, but in the winboard.ini. This is intended, it is a way to transfer the settings defined in the small ini files to the default settings. (And this would include the /saveSettingsOnExit=false, so you would be stuck with those settings forever, unless you tick the "save settings on exit" menu item again (or edit the winboard.ini).

So are you sure you did not mix up the ini files somehow?
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
slobo wrote:But, when I save the Current Settings from Option menu, Save Settings Now, the content of my short command line ini file is replaced by the winboard.ini file.
If it would be like you say, this would be a bug.

But for me, the settings are saved not in the small file, but in the winboard.ini. This is intended, it is a way to transfer the settings defined in the small ini files to the default settings. (And this would include the /saveSettingsOnExit=false, so you would be stuck with those settings forever, unless you tick the "save settings on exit" menu item again (or edit the winboard.ini).

So are you sure you did not mix up the ini files somehow?
I am sure. There was no mix of ini files. Winboard did not know where to save settings, and instead of doing it in Winboard.ini it did it in my small
i-wood-dave.ini

After that, I wasn´t able to put in action any change in winboard.ini (for example to install new UCI engines through poliglot) because the last file to be read is always a small ini file on the command line, which was equal to the previous version of winboard.ini

I got what happened when I saw the small ini file´s size: it had the same size as winboard.ini

How did all that happen?

I was trying some book options. It seems we have now an absurd situation: UCI engines work fine, within winboard, using the same polyglot´s book, while the same is not possible for native winboard engines.

Slobo
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

slobo wrote:

I was trying some book options. It seems we have now an absurd situation: UCI engines work fine, within winboard, using the same polyglot´s book, while the same is not possible for native winboard engines.

Slobo
That's wrong twice. Even before Polyglot was born and much longer
before it was a booktool too, there was already BookThinker(and still is)
for WB engines(which understand setboard).
Meanwhile it is also possible in new WB to use a Polyglot book natively.

Guenther
hgm

Post by hgm »

I looked at the code (this is not something I changed), and I can only imagine the behavior you sketch if you somehow used the option /ini="..." or (equivalently) /settingsFile="...". This is the only place in the code where assignments to settingsFileName is made, except from the built-in assignment to 'winboard.ini".

I am not sure I understand your remark about the books: all engines use the selected book, WB and UCI engines alike. You have to untick the "has own book" option for the engine, though.
slobo

Post by slobo »

Guenther wrote:
slobo wrote:

Slobo
That's wrong twice. Even before Polyglot was born and much longer
before it was a booktool too, there was already BookThinker(and still is)
for WB engines(which understand setboard).
Meanwhile it is also possible in new WB to use a Polyglot book natively.

Guenther
I don´t know how to use polyglot book for winboard engines.
Could you explain it, please?
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:I looked at the code (this is not something I changed), and I can only imagine the behavior you sketch if you somehow used the option /ini="..." or (equivalently) /settingsFile="...". This is the only place in the code where assignments to settingsFileName is made, except from the built-in assignment to 'winboard.ini".

I am not sure I understand your remark about the books: all engines use the selected book, WB and UCI engines alike. You have to untick the "has own book" option for the engine, though.
I have no any line
/ini="..."
or
/settingsFile="..."
in my winboard.ini
and the command line in my shotcut file is
C:\Chess_Winboard\WinBoard\winboard.exe /ini i-wood-sl.ini

Well, I know that I cannot use Savesettings Now from Options menu when I use additional small ini files in the command line.