Win 7 upgrade Is like a fat girl in a waterbed

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kgburcham

Win 7 upgrade Is like a fat girl in a waterbed

Post by kgburcham »

If you dont try it you will never know.
So I had to try to uprgrade from Windows XP Pro.
The notes said "Upgrade for Windows Vista Service pack 1 only".

I tried the upgrade from XP--not to good, 64 bit problems.
I tried a format and clean install from a spare hard drive I had on the shelf. Same issues with 64 bit drivers. I was able to run several chess programs ok inside Windows 7.

"The Windows 7 Beta only supports Windows Vista SP1 to Windows 7 upgrades.
Also, another important thing to keep in mind is that the Windows 7 Beta will expire on August 1st, 2009.

The Windows 7 Beta will be available in English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi, and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions (except Hindi which will only be available in 32-bit). Because the Windows 7 Beta will be offered download-only, it will be provided to you as an ISO image (an .iso file) that you download. After downloading either the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO image of the Windows 7 Beta, you will be required to burn the ISO image to a DVD to install Windows 7. So you want to be sure you have a DVD burner before spending the time downloading the ISO image."

kgburcham
trojanfoe

Re: Win 7 upgrade Is like a fat girl in a waterbed

Post by trojanfoe »

What issues did you have with 64-bit drivers? I have had very few issues with Vista 64-bit drivers with only my ageing Canon scanner being unsupported. I understood that Windows 7 could use almost all of the Vista drivers without problem...

Cheers,
Andy
kgburcham

Re: Win 7 upgrade Is like a fat girl in a waterbed

Post by kgburcham »

Using the 7 upgrade with XP Pro, I could not go online with my 64 bit net card. I will try again the next day I am off work.