Need Help; Trojan Horse Infection in Windows!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Need Help; Trojan Horse Infection in Windows!

Post by Terry McCracken »

gerold wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:trojan horse agent.4.P C:\WINDOWS\system32dxtmsftt.dll

How do I remove it from the windows system?

I'm scanning now.
What antivirus program do you use Terry.
I'm using AVG 8 on my old system which was infected. I think I got rid of it all. Infact as the warnings came in I moved it all to the vault and scanning showed no trace of the infections.
Terry McCracken
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

michiguel wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:Off-topic, tounge-in-cheek, pedantic mini-rant:

The term "Trojan Horse" always annoys me a little, because it's so unfair: The Trojans were the victims of the dirty horse trick. :wink:

Tord
Good point, Tord! It should be Greek Horse or better yet, Achaean Horse. Does this semantic oddity exist in other languages too, such as Norsk?

I suppose that many things simply derive their name from the location where they were introduced or found, and not from where or by whom they they were made (e.g. The Shroud of Turin, etc.).

All the best,
Steve
In Spanish we say "Presente griego", which is "Greek present" or "Greek gift".

Anyway, "Horse of Troy" should be better. That is a literal translation from Spanish when people refers specifically to that event. We say "Caballo de Troya" (Horse of Troy) and never "Caballo troyano" (Trojan horse).

Miguel
Hi Miguel,

We say "Greek gift" in English too. We also say, "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!" :)

But in English, Trojan horse and horse of Troy have the same meaning. Don't they in Spanish? So, why is Horse of Troy better? Horse of Troy is a longer and more awkward way to express it in English. Trojan Horse is simpler and more concise, although I know that X of Y is common wording in Latin languages.

All the best,
Steve
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Stephen Ham wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:Off-topic, tounge-in-cheek, pedantic mini-rant:

The term "Trojan Horse" always annoys me a little, because it's so unfair: The Trojans were the victims of the dirty horse trick. :wink:

Tord
Good point, Tord! It should be Greek Horse or better yet, Achaean Horse. Does this semantic oddity exist in other languages too, such as Norsk?
Yes, it does. In Norwegian, we say "trojansk hest" ("hest" means "horse"), or just "trojaner" ("a Trojan"), which is even worse.

Tord
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Although this thread initially was useful for CCC members it has now turned somewhat OT and we have received complaints about it
so it has been locked

Regards
Steve