Crafty-22.10 is available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Crafty-22.10 is available

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
bob wrote:
Werner wrote:I have played a lot of games inside Arena 2.01 or 1.99beta4 with time control 40/10 or 40/15 this week with
Crafty 22.9 x64 1CPU - and I did not have one game with time problems!!

best
Werner
So the plot thickens. :)

Has to be a logical explanation. The log.nnn file will provide that most likely...

Hi Bob. Look, should CCRL test this version, or just stick with testing 22.9 until a further version comes out.

22.10 fixed the draw acceptance issue... That was all that was different from 22.9, so they are effectively the same version except for that. If you aren't having problems with 22.9 losing on time, then 22.10 won't either. I am trying to look to see what might be going on but I tried a few thousand 40/5 type games and never had a problem so it might be more to do with the specific time control that was being discussed more than the normal time allocation...

Best,

George
bob

Post by bob »

DarioZ wrote:Robert
I have sent you a PM re the log file
Hope you can help
I did not receive anything. You might also try RobertHyatt at bellsouth dot net to see if the university spam filter blocked your message...
DarioZ

Post by DarioZ »

Robert
Just emailed you 2 log files
Hope you can help
bob

Post by bob »

DarioZ wrote:Robert
Just emailed you 2 log files
Hope you can help
The arena log doesn't help. I need the actual Crafty logfile named log.nnn... It contains everything Crafty used to make decisions about time usage, the stuff it sends to arena is a small subset of what is in the actual Crafty log file...
DarioZ

Post by DarioZ »

:oops: again
I will seach for those or re-run some games and let you have them as soon as I can
DarioZ

Post by DarioZ »

Robert,

The Crafty log file has been emailed to you.
Hopefully I've got it right this time :wink:
bob

Post by bob »

DarioZ wrote:Robert,

OK, first question is:

what does this mean:

level 40 40 0 40 40 0 0 40 0

My xboard docs show only three parameters to the level command, so what does the extra stuff mean and where does it come from since it is not the "level" command format built in to crafty...

What GUI is this? It appears that this game was partially played prior to the log creation as the first 11 moves are "forced" into Crafty before it starts to play. It is more than possible that this is an issue (I will check). I noticed that the log says Crafty "reached the first time control" at move 50. Not at move 40. This might be an issue with the "force" command, but I am not even sure why that is being used on a game supposedly played from scratch...
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

bob wrote:

OK, first question is:

what does this mean:

My xboard docs show only three parameters to the level command, so what does the extra stuff mean and where does it come from since it is not the "level" command format built in to crafty...

What GUI is this? It appears that this game was partially played prior to the log creation as the first 11 moves are "forced" into Crafty before it starts to play. It is more than possible that this is an issue (I will check). I noticed that the log says Crafty "reached the first time control" at move 50. Not at move 40. This might be an issue with the "force" command, but I am not even sure why that is being used on a game supposedly played from scratch...
If this was a game with a position set by a pgn file, the GUI will feed the first moves to the engines. Crafty should take into account those moves as part of the first time control. From your comment, this seems to be a Crafty issue.

This type of behavior was discussed some time ago for other engines in the winboard forum. The problem was not observed when pgn files were used, but epd files (where the GUI may pay attention to the move counter but not the engines).

Miguel
bob

Post by bob »

michiguel wrote:
bob wrote:

OK, first question is:

what does this mean:

If this was a game with a position set by a pgn file, the GUI will feed the first moves to the engines. Crafty should take into account those moves as part of the first time control. From your comment, this seems to be a Crafty issue.

This type of behavior was discussed some time ago for other engines in the winboard forum. The problem was not observed when pgn files were used, but epd files (where the GUI may pay attention to the move counter but not the engines).

Miguel
I agree that part of this is a Crafty bug and I'm working on the problem. When given a "force" I don't know which side Crafty is playing, and only counted the time control moves for Crafty. I've fixed that ad am testing.

However, that level command appears to be bogus according to my docs here...
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

bob wrote:
michiguel wrote:
bob wrote:

OK, first question is:

what does this mean:

Miguel
I agree that part of this is a Crafty bug and I'm working on the problem. When given a "force" I don't know which side Crafty is playing, and only counted the time control moves for Crafty. I've fixed that ad am testing.

However, that level command appears to be bogus according to my docs here...
Yes, that may be a modified level version.

Miguel