MonRoi

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

MonRoi

Post by AdminX »

MonRoi

http://monroi.com/products/personal-chess-manager.html

I have a few questions about this product. First, let me start by saying that it has been a long time since I played in any Amateur or Professional Over the Board Chess Tournaments. Now with that said and done with ...

Are paper score sheets still used?

Are these devices allowed in Tournaments?

The price is $359.00 USD, Wouldn't any PDA do the same things with the right software for less cash?

There appears to be a service behind this device, and while I do not know if there is a fee involved with this device. Are there any other free services that offer the same features?

Thanks in Advance.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: MonRoi

Post by Bill Rogers »

Wow Ted
I have never seen or even heard of this model, but I think you should contact Steve B. as he is the biggest collector of chess machines that I know of. He might ever won one of these, if not I am sure that he soon will.
Bill
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

AdminX wrote:MonRoi

Are paper score sheets still used?
Yes

Are these devices allowed in Tournaments?
Yes in some.

The price is $359.00 USD, Wouldn't any PDA do the same things with the right software for less cash?

There appears to be a service behind this device, and while I do not know if there is a fee involved with this device. Are there any other free services that offer the same features?

Here is a chessbase article introducing the device http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2879
fern

Post by fern »

At that price it seems to me we are talking of robbery.
F
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Paper and pen/pencil are still dominate or they were in the
tournament that I was in last weekend.

The USCF allows the MonRoi because it doesn't have a real program
in it. As I understand it, the USCF doesn't allow PDA's because they
could have a chess program in them.
sje

Post by sje »

The MonRoi is a good idea, but it's really overpriced compared to more general purpose PDAs. For example, an iPod Touch with 8 GB flash and a little free software will do a lot more than a MonRoi at only two thirds the price.

The USCF made rule changes for the MonRoi, just like some rules were changed for the Fidelity GameTime chess clock back in the early 1990s. It has been claimed that the USCF has gotten somewhat unpublicized remuneration for providing such rule changes.

The only advantage the MonRoi has compared to some other more common platforms is that an opponent and the tournament director can be fairly sure that no chess program is clandestinely involved.

Note that use of a MonRoi adds little if the game is being played on a DGT board or a Novag Citrine, either with the right PC connection. Like the MonRoi, the DGT board can export PGN directly while the Citrine needs a little software help from the connected PC.
Patatov

Post by Patatov »

But the other advantage is that the Monroi device can send the progressing game wirelessly to a gateway connected to the internet.
This is probably cheaper for organizers than having DGT boards.
Not sure about the price for the Monroi gateway though
sje

Post by sje »

Patatov wrote:But the other advantage is that the Monroi device can send the progressing game wirelessly to a gateway connected to the internet.
DGT has reported that wireless boards are on the way and these are expected soon. I'll guess that most who have DGT boards connect them to laptops that have built-in wireless .

The iPhone/iPod Touch has built-in wireless, as do some other PDAs.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

sje wrote:
Patatov wrote:But the other advantage is that the Monroi device can send the progressing game wirelessly to a gateway connected to the internet.
DGT has reported that wireless boards are on the way and these are expected soon. I'll guess that most who have DGT boards connect them to laptops that have built-in wireless .

Bluetooth Wireless this is ....
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
sje wrote:

Bluetooth Wireless this is ....
Cool :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….