MonRoi

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Re: MonRoi

Post by sje »

The iPod Touch does not have Bluetooth. It's Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) wireless only.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

sje wrote:The iPod Touch does not have Bluetooth. It's Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) wireless only.
Yes, this is true about the ipod, but DGT is Bluetooth Wireless.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by sje »

AdminX wrote:
sje wrote:The iPod Touch does not have Bluetooth. It's Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) wireless only.
Have any DGT wireless boards been announced yet? I can't find any mention of this on their site, and what I had heard was that 802.11b/g was to be used vs Bluetooth due to range requirements.

Also, my post was incomplete. While the iPod Touch has no Bluetooth, the iPhone does.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

sje wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Have any DGT wireless boards been announced yet? I can't find any mention of this on their site, and what I had heard was that 802.11b/g was to be used vs Bluetooth due to range requirements.

Also, my post was incomplete. While the iPod Touch has no Bluetooth, the iPhone does.
DGT had published a PDF with the following info (I don't know where to locate it now that they have updated their website):

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by sje »

It looks like the document is two years old and so the product has been delayed. This might be a good thing if they need time to work out the bugs.

Bluetooth for a chessboard has some advantages over 802.11 (WiFi) in that BT takes less power and the application doesn't need the big bandwidth offered by WiFi. Also, BT is a natural for a chess clock.

On the other hand, WiFi would be more appropriate when linking dozens of boards to a central server as might be required in a tournament setting. BT could handle this if there were a mesh protocol available as there is for WiFi.

If I were designing the next version of the DGT board, I'd add:

1) An internal laptop style rechargeable battery

2) WiFi and BT along with an old fashioned 10baseT Ethernet port

3) 81 LEDs to indicate square vertices as is done the Citrine

4) An internal speaker with voice synthesis output

Yes, the above would add to the price, but not by that much, maybe only US$200.