Fritz on Nintendo DS.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Cubeman

Fritz on Nintendo DS.

Post by Cubeman »

I see that Chessbase is soon to launch Fritz for the handheld DS.They have already released Fritz Chester and friends.I wonder how strong they can make it on the limited hardware of the DS console.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Silver-Fri ... _pr_sims_t
AdminX

Re: Fritz on Nintendo DS.

Post by AdminX »

But how did you miss the Nintendo Wii :lol: ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Silver-Fri ... 15&sr=1-11

PS: Where is the PSP version?? :oops:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Robert Weck »

Sean Evans wrote:Does anyone have an opinion if investing in a Nintendo DS for playing chess only is worth while?
i would prefer a PPC with PocketFritz 3...

Robert
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I too rather a PPC with PF3.I can't imagine a Nintendo DS being very powerful.A 2nd hand PPC costs less than a new Nintendo DS.I think the childrens version Chesster and Friends will sell more.
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

According to wikipedia, DS's cpu is: one 67 MHz ARM946E-S and one 33 MHz ARM7TDMI. It is a bit old and weak compared to modern processors. I think most new cell phones have much faster processors. So the engine would not be very strong, besides according to your links, Fruit 2.1 is about 2270 elo on this hardware. It would be a good opponent, and I am sure Fritz will have a beautiful GUI, but not very good for analysis or for having a database with many games stored in it.

If you add what you spend for a DS and for Fritz chess DS and then double this amount, and you can wait 2 months, you have another option.

There is a new portable gaming console, called Pandora, with a faster CPU: 600 MHz OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 (32 Bit) and 256MB Ram. I think it would be more appropriate, because one can compile all the free (open source) chess engines for it and probably also the Scid database. It has not been released yet, but I intend to ask someone to run a crafty or a glaurung benchmark when it is, so that we could see how fast (and strong) they are on this hardware.

Then again there is this story about $199 netbooks coming this summer, which makes you wonder if it worth spending money on the previous two.
http://www.notebooks.com/2009/01/07/new ... xy-design/
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

glorfindel wrote:Then again there is this story about $199 netbooks coming this summer, which makes you wonder if it worth spending money on the previous two.http://www.notebooks.com/2009/01/07/new ... xy-design/
The netbook seems to be only for web use, no programs like computer chess.
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

Sean Evans wrote:The netbook seems to be only for web use, no programs like computer chess.
I don't think so. It has a CPU, RAM, some kind of permanent data storage (not mentioned there), and it will be running linux. It is a full featured computer and you can do anything you want with it.
revengeska

Post by revengeska »

According to IGN, it'll be coming out for Playstation 3 as well. With what I've heard about the Playstation 3 hardware, we could have quite an interesting test.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

revengeska wrote:According to IGN, it'll be coming out for Playstation 3 as well. With what I've heard about the Playstation 3 hardware, we could have quite an interesting test.
Test? between who?