Experiences with Windows XP SP3 anyone?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Experiences with Windows XP SP3 anyone?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello,

My Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 wants to update to SP3, 66.9-305.8 Mb of changes. Most of the critical security updates I have already through the automatic Windows update and these did not effect any chessprograms or otherwise, as far as I can see. I'm not sure how much of this package is new if you already have the regular updates. But I know earlier betas of this package had some incidental problems, so I was just wondering if anyone has already installed the full package? Any negative experiences with your software, chess or otherwise? Or are most of you on Windows Vista, Windows XP 64-bit?

Regards, Eelco
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Experiences with Windows XP SP3 anyone?

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I have Windows XP Professional running on my old HP dual core notebook and I've installed SP3 without any problems of whatever....so go for it,it won't bite you :lol:
Microsoft sends it's regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Thanks for the advice Doc,

I tried to update, hoping the package would not be too large, there was a Wizard recommending I make a back-up first but it seemed to be already doing a lot of searching on the harddisk before I had pressed any 'next' -button, it got about halfway but then somewhat predictably I ran out of harddisk sectors for archives and stuff. Installation aborted and there is no sign of the update anymore on my desktop. Problem solved more or less... Oh well. Windows SP3 is just too big for an old Athlon I suppose.

For the moment everything seems to be functioning with the old system files so that is a relief already. SP3 can wait. I am so happy my refrigerator, washing machine, phone and coffee machine don't have Windows functionality yet. I envy those Linux boxes of our prof. Hyatt that can work for four years without ever having to reboot!

On a more serious note, I dare to make an armchair prophecy, not difficult at all; if we ever have an international crisis or new cold war on our hands while still every military operation and 50% of critical machines in the West is still using Windows software, I think we will see many changes to our computer systems afterwards. That is if we manage to survive it.

Window on the Future Regards,

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
geots

Post by geots »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Thanks for the advice Doc,

I tried to update, hoping the package would not be too large, there was a Wizard recommending I make a back-up first but it seemed to be already doing a lot of searching on the harddisk before I had pressed any 'next' -button, it got about halfway but then somewhat predictably I ran out of harddisk sectors for archives and stuff. Installation aborted and there is no sign of the update anymore on my desktop. Problem solved more or less... Oh well. Windows SP3 is just too big for an old Athlon I suppose.

For the moment everything seems to be functioning with the old system files so that is a relief already. SP3 can wait. I am so happy my refrigerator, washing machine, phone and coffee machine don't have Windows functionality yet. I envy those Linux boxes of our prof. Hyatt that can work for four years without ever having to reboot!

On a more serious note, I dare to make an armchair prophecy, not difficult at all; if we ever have an international crisis or new cold war on our hands while still every military operation and 50% of critical machines in the West is still using Windows software, I think we will see many changes to our computer systems afterwards. That is if we manage to survive it.

Window on the Future Regards,

Eelco

Let XP SP3 wait till hell freezes over. Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. You dont have access to enough headache medication and nerve pills to deal with Service Pack 3. When anyone tells you differently, as they surely will, remember it was me who told you to steer clear of the shit.
parrish

Post by parrish »

You should definitely update to SP3, and then any additional critical updates after SP3 as well. Many important and critical updates require SP3. You are leaving your PC vulnerable to hackers and attacks without these updates.
bob

Post by bob »

parrish wrote:You should definitely update to SP3, and then any additional critical updates after SP3 as well. Many important and critical updates require SP3. You are leaving your PC vulnerable to hackers and attacks without these updates.
Shoot, you are leaving your PV vulnerable so long as you continue to run _any_ flavor of windows...
parrish

Post by parrish »

bob wrote:
parrish wrote:You should definitely update to SP3, and then any additional critical updates after SP3 as well. Many important and critical updates require SP3. You are leaving your PC vulnerable to hackers and attacks without these updates.
Shoot, you are leaving your PV vulnerable so long as you continue to run _any_ flavor of windows...
Yes, Linux would be better. But if you had to run WinXP, it better be as up to date as possible. That pretty much goes for ANY software, including Linux.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Fully agreed.... 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

bob wrote:
Hey Bob,is it true that you didn't reboot your Linux based machine for 4 years now?

:lol:

:P
smrf

Post by smrf »

Depending on your Mac computer model Windows XP will no longer work within a Mac Bootcamp partition after applying SP3. In this case it is very frustrating to learn, that Microsoft is ignoring an explicite wish to not install that update and thus nevertheless always is presenting that unwelcome service pack.