Will Shredder ever return ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kirk

Re: Will Shredder ever return ...

Post by Kirk »

I will be impressed when someone comes up with a software program that annotates like a human.

Chessmaster and Chessbase still annotate the same as many previous versions ago.
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Kirk wrote:I will be impressed when someone comes up with a software program that annotates like a human.

Chessmaster and Chessbase still annotate the same as many previous versions ago.
It's a great idea an certainly an important asset to any top program. It would be great if the A.I. in this area is dramatically improved and in many respects as important as the playing strength of the program itself.

I'm sure it's not easy to have a computer annotate like a Grandmaster.
Terry McCracken
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Thanks Terry! :)

One would have to have a unique word and phrase parser and be able to equate positions with specific phrases

certainly would be an interesting AI diversion from increasing a programs strength a few more points
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
bob

Post by bob »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Kirk wrote:I will be impressed when someone comes up with a software program that annotates like a human.

It's a great idea an certainly an important asset to any top program. It would be great if the A.I. in this area is dramatically improved and in many respects as important as the playing strength of the program itself.

"not easy" is not the right term. Alpha/beta doesn't even provide the information necessary to start on this problem. It is specifically designed to find the best move with minimum effort. Which loses all the details of why a move is bad or good, because we don't care when actually playing a game...

It would have to start from an entirely different search framework, which is a real problem...
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

"not easy" is not the right term. Alpha/beta doesn't even provide the information necessary to start on this problem. It is specifically designed to find the best move with minimum effort. Which loses all the details of why a move is bad or good, because we don't care when actually playing a game...

It would have to start from an entirely different search framework, which is a real problem...
Understood...this is an area that needs to be addressed, it would make a great program, fantastic and in my opinion worth the effort.

Food for Thought Regards,
Terry McCracken
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Terry McCracken wrote:...this is an area that needs to be addressed, it would make a great program, fantastic and in my opinion worth the effort.
Whose effort?
Marek Soszynski
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Marek Soszynski wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:...this is an area that needs to be addressed, it would make a great program, fantastic and in my opinion worth the effort.
Whose effort?
In my opinion, it would be worth the programmers effort. Allot of endusers would pay for a program that offered this feature. I know I would.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Strange enough Ted,the very same thought crossed my mind a few days ago when I was looking at the updated CCRL rating list....It's sad indeed but hey....welcome to the real world....
BTW,there was a saying in Bulgaria when I was living there and it goes somehting like this:
Life is like a carrot....one day it's in your hand....ten days it's in........
Sorry,you have to guess it yourself :oops:

:lol:

....ten days it's in the Shredder :shock: Jaimes
Veritas Vos Liberabit
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Jaimes Conda wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Strange enough Ted,the very same thought crossed my mind a few days ago when I was looking at the updated CCRL rating list....It's sad indeed but hey....welcome to the real world....
BTW,there was a saying in Bulgaria when I was living there and it goes somehting like this:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
Jaimes Conda wrote:

Exactly....

:lol: :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….