Experiences with Windows XP SP3 anyone?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Experiences with Windows XP SP3 anyone?

Post by Graham Banks »

terminator wrote:Geots is some kind of a star around here.
Hey George. You're a star! :lol:
Thanks for that autograph. I'll treasure it always. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

cyberfish wrote:Best is subjective, but if you are new, I suggest Ubuntu, since it has a huge user base, so you can more easily find support when you need it.

Once you are familiar with Linux, though, distro doesn't matter much. They all have almost the same packages and the same CLI. They are all Linux after all.
This is mostly true; I have been using Ubuntu for a long time and Debian before that but have recently tried Fedora 10 at work (as it's related to Red Hat) and have had nothing but problems getting it installed on my work laptop. In the end I had to install Fedora 9 and do a package upgrade to get it on there because of the constant installer (anaconda) crashes. I also get occasional filesystem corruptions (always /var) during upgrades too, however that may be do do with the hard disk (an external USB drive).

I think Ubuntu's package system is superior however F10 does have a good native version of eclipse so it's all swings and roundabouts...

Cheers,
Andy
thoughtful

Post by thoughtful »

I'm a windows user (albeit a lucky one who has found XP SP3 very stable with very few crashes).

Can you use Chessbase GUI and Fritz GUI etc under Ubuntu though? Or if you do it via Wine is it slower than if you just used it directly in windows?
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

thoughtful wrote:I'm a windows user (albeit a lucky one who has found XP SP3 very stable with very few crashes).

Can you use Chessbase GUI and Fritz GUI etc under Ubuntu though? Or if you do it via Wine is it slower than if you just used it directly in windows?
No you would have to use Wine and there is obviously no guarantee it will work; I've had no luck running anything under Wine and am not a big fan.

Cheers,
Andy
thoughtful

Post by thoughtful »

So what is the Unix equivalent of Chessbase and Fritz GUI. And is it anygood?

Winboard clearly has less functionality than the Fritz GUI
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

thoughtful wrote:So what is the Unix equivalent of Chessbase and Fritz GUI. And is it anygood?

Winboard clearly has less functionality than the Fritz GUI
For Fritz its Shredder for Linux. At least thats one option. :wink:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by thoughtful »

is it still a UCI engine inside the Shredder for linux GUI? Or is it a reworked engine for linux? (sorry if this betrays my ignorance about such issues)