Anand on chess as a profession and on computers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Anand on chess as a profession and on computers

Post by AdminX »

Chessbase wrote: He started using chess database just months after Kasparov, and stuck with information technology ever since.
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5234

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Anand on chess as a profession and on computers

Post by mschribr »

It is an interesting article. Anand accepts that his PC is stronger than him. So we will not see a match between Anand and a computer. I don’t think there will be another world chess champion vs computer match. That era has ended. :(
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mschribr wrote:It is an interesting article. Anand accepts that his PC is stronger than him. So we will not see a match between Anand and a computer. I don’t think there will be another world chess champion vs computer match. That era has ended. :(
I stated this a long time ago and got beated badly for that :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mschribr wrote:It is an interesting article. Anand accepts that his PC is stronger than him. So we will not see a match between Anand and a computer. I don’t think there will be another world chess champion vs computer match. That era has ended. :(
I don’t think a world chess champion has said this before. I guess there is a difference between Dr.Wael Deeb saying it and world champ Anand saying it. :o
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mschribr wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
I don’t think a world chess champion has said this before. I guess there is a difference between Dr.Wael Deeb saying it and world champ Anand saying it. :o
And why are you so mad my friend,it's a good that a world champion and Dr.Wael Deeb are sharing the same opinion,right :?:
:shock: regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mschribr wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
And why are you so mad my friend,it's a good that a world champion and Dr.Wael Deeb are sharing the same opinion,right :?:
Dr.D
No, I am amazed. You are smarter than Anand. You said it first. :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

mschribr wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
mschribr wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dr.D
No, I am amazed. You are smarter than Anand. You said it first. :)
Of course,you are right :mrgreen:
BTW,my statements were regarding the computer chess in general facing the humanity,not addressed to Anand particulary....
Another thing....even though that I am a hardcore computer chess believer,I still don't believe that Anand thinks that his computer is stronger than him,but I guess he knows better....
bigo

Post by bigo »

I think it was evident since 2000 Computers were stronger then most humans, we had a few arrogant Computer Scientist like Dr. Robert Hyaat who had too much pride to admit he was wrong. Not that it really matters as most chess programmers at this time clearly saw the obvious. I could never understand why so many people could not see that the very existence of these strong programs demonstrated the brilliance of the human mind, they treated the subject as if it was really man vs machine when in reality it's man vs man, the computers never had any intelligence or self awareness, they treated the computers if they were consciously aware, thus giving the programs way more credit then they deserve, I aways belived the strength of Modern programs is a testimony to human brilliance and creativity. The Top players have been saying even in 2000 computers were over 2700 but ofcourse many people basically accused these humans of lying for marketing purposes, when infact they were just telling it as it is. Back then I also thought it made much more sense to trust the opinions of those that were 2500+, then the computer scientist that created the programs. Back as far as 1997 computers were clearly atleast 2500. Then you had complete jackasses like Lev Albert even after Deepblue beat Kasparov, he was saying that Deepblue was only 2500, you could tell this guy saw computers as a professional threat, I say this because of the emotional, feminine, rediculous claims by this guy and others. Even more astonishing is that people actually believed this guy, I think most intellegent people saw right through this clown.
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Did you come here just to insult some of our members? Over a period of time a great many or our programmers have had changes of mind as programs got really strong and that includes Dr. Hyatt.
Bill
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bigo wrote:I think it was evident since 2000 Computers were stronger then most humans, we had a few arrogant Computer Scientist like Dr. Robert Hyaat who had too much pride to admit he was wrong. Not that it really matters as most chess programmers at this time clearly saw the obvious. I could never understand why so many people could not see that the very existence of these strong programs demonstrated the brilliance of the human mind, they treated the subject as if it was really man vs machine when in reality it's man vs man, the computers never had any intelligence or self awareness, they treated the computers if they were consciously aware, thus giving the programs way more credit then they deserve, I aways belived the strength of Modern programs is a testimony to human brilliance and creativity. The Top players have been saying even in 2000 computers were over 2700 but ofcourse many people basically accused these humans of lying for marketing purposes, when infact they were just telling it as it is. Back then I also thought it made much more sense to trust the opinions of those that were 2500+, then the computer scientist that created the programs. Back as far as 1997 computers were clearly atleast 2500. Then you had complete jackasses like Lev Albert even after Deepblue beat Kasparov, he was saying that Deepblue was only 2500, you could tell this guy saw computers as a professional threat, I say this because of the emotional, feminine, rediculous claims by this guy and others. Even more astonishing is that people actually believed this guy, I think most intellegent people saw right through this clown.
Yes, your father must have been a maker of fine glass. :wink: