How to pronounce Colle?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CRoberson

How to pronounce Colle?

Post by CRoberson »

Edgar Colle was born in Ghent Belgium, so that probably makes a difference.

Here in the US, it is pronounced two ways: 1) Coley as in the dog
2) Cole as in a chunk of coal.

What is the proper pronunciation.

Maybe GCP knows.
Rolf

Re: How to pronounce Colle?

Post by Rolf »

IMO both is wrong with respect to the original. I just see a word on the page here 'signature'. If you take the very last syllable of that word, I dont recall a good example, then you have the searched name.

It's spelled with K and then o like in original, double ll like in collection and then the more typical French letter of an stumbling 'e'. ahem, e, e e. Or if you know French it's the typical e in 'le', the article. In a dic the e is given as a standing on its head e.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Rolf wrote:IMO both is wrong with respect to the original. I just see a word on the page here 'signature'. If you take the very last syllable of that word, I dont recall a good example, then you have the searched name.

It's spelled with K and then o like in original, double ll like in collection and then the more typical French letter of an stumbling 'e'. ahem, e, e e. Or if you know French it's the typical e in 'le', the article. In a dic the e is given as a standing on its head e.
I can't understand you, Rolf. Apparently you think Edgard Colle was French. Wrong. He was Flemish, and from the Flemish city of Ghent.

Charles, my guess is that Colle's surname is pronounced something akin to the dog, collie. Do we have any Flemish or Dutch people handy?

All the best,
Steve
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Stephen Ham wrote:
Rolf wrote:IMO both is wrong with respect to the original. I just see a word on the page here 'signature'. If you take the very last syllable of that word, I dont recall a good example, then you have the searched name.

I can't understand you, Rolf. Apparently you think Edgard Colle was French. Wrong. He was Flemish, and from the Flemish city of Ghent.

Charles, my guess is that Colle's surname is pronounced something akin to the dog, collie. Do we have any Flemish or Dutch people handy?

All the best,
Steve
If he were spelled like you think then he must have been English. But also for Dutch/Flamish it's like I said. I wasnt thinking he was French but I just tried to find examples to explain for Americans. BTW now I speak it. you can also take the spelled e of the second 'a' in Americans. This is the same as in the French 'le'. Southern States of the USA excluded. <g>

How stupid! Now I found a better method. Just speak the beginning of collection and then for the e you change it into the e in the English article the. Then you have his name comme il faut.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
And you fell straight into the pattern. I've lived on both US coasts.
All that I met from the west coast say Coal and all east of Nevada
say Collie.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Just speak the beginning of collection and then for the e you change it into the e in the English article the.
Collar?
Marek Soszynski
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Marek Soszynski wrote:
Just speak the beginning of collection and then for the e you change it into the e in the English article the.
Collar?
No. Excuse me. Perhaps you come closer with saying 'colo(u)r'.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
And you fell straight into the pattern. I've lived on both US coasts.
All that I met from the west coast say Coal and all east of Nevada
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly
gerold

Post by gerold »

CRoberson wrote:Edgar Colle was born in Ghent Belgium, so that probably makes a difference.

Maybe GCP knows.
Kaw-Lee

Best,

Gerold.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

gerold wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Edgar Colle was born in Ghent Belgium, so that probably makes a difference.

Maybe GCP knows.
Kaw-Lee

Best,

Gerold.
Yes, if you're from the South. :wink: