On discussing clones

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: On discussing clones

Post by Terry McCracken »

Ah-Hem...Larry Kaufman is the key to Rybkas great strength, not Vas.
Jaimes Conda

Post by Jaimes Conda »

Terry McCracken wrote:Ah-Hem...Larry Kaufman is the key to Rybkas great strength, not Vas.
And THIS you know : Jaimes Conda
Veritas Vos Liberabit
Terry McCracken

Jaimes Conda wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Ah-Hem...Larry Kaufman is the key to Rybkas great strength, not Vas.
Yes.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Jaimes Conda wrote:
Yes.
How do you know that? As I see it, Rybka is extremely good in search, Vasik's part.

Kai
terminator

Post by terminator »

Laskos wrote:How do you know that? As I see it, Rybka is extremely good in search, Vasik's part.

Kai
This is how stuff gets off-topic as people begin a personal attack - in this case it looks like Vas is being attacked for no reason at all.
Terry McCracken

terminator wrote:
Laskos wrote:How do you know that? As I see it, Rybka is extremely good in search, Vasik's part.

Kai
This is how stuff gets off-topic as people begin a personal attack - in this case it looks like Vas is being attacked for no reason at all.
Vasik isn't being attacked.
Terry McCracken

Laskos wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Jaimes Conda wrote:
Yes.
How do you know that? As I see it, Rybka is extremely good in search, Vasik's part.

Kai
Vasik made a very fast search, very tactical.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

just to enter the discussion:

as a non-programmer i strongly support Hyatt's view on things happening here. To forbid discussions about clones (or anything else) is the very first sign of "thought"-police. It's a free place created for discussion and such acts of restraint make this very place pointless.
take it easy :)
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I think that some people misunderstand the problem with clones. It is not discussing them in a civilized way but the fact some people make accusatons about how one person or another stole someone else code and called it their own when in fact there is absolutely no proof to the I statement.
Vas stated that he looked at Fruit before he wrote rybak 1.0. He did not ever imply that he used that code in his later releases of the same program. Once again 'Looking' at is not the same as copying. I have looked at dozens of programs written in "C" but I don't program in that language and can only understand very small parts of at all. I guess for my part I am hoping for some kind of miracle or a flash of light so that all of it becomes perfectly clear and I thnik you all know the possiblity of that happening.
Bill
Terry McCracken

I know a little more than most here on Rybka, it's orgins and what is being done today. Vas isn't a cloner per se but there's far more than meets the eye, from it's origins, how it evolved, things that are being used today how it's tuned and who has added and modified the piece square tables and how it can be programed to beat specific engines.

There's a tester's engine, which makes Rybka programmable.

There are fruit genes and toga components as well_IE_ psqt. I know this, Dr. Hyatt now knows this and the Rybka team of course knows this.

It's not a clone but is in violation with the GPL agreement. Expect many programs in the future to take shortcuts, it's the future of computer chess.

Yes I've seen these files. So Rybka isn't completely original and Larry Kaufman has played a major role in Rybkas success.