How to pronounce Colle?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: How to pronounce Colle?

Post by gerold »

Terry McCracken wrote:
gerold wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Edgar Colle was born in Ghent Belgium, so that probably makes a difference.

Here in the US, it is pronounced two ways: 1) Coley as in the dog
2) Cole as in a chunk of coal.

What is the proper pronunciation.

Maybe GCP knows.
Kaw-Lee

Best,

Gerold.
Yes, if you're from the South. :wink:
:D Sounded good to me. :D Ozark Hills Terry. :D

Just Google KAW-lee and see what you come up with.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

gerold wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
gerold wrote:
CRoberson wrote:Edgar Colle was born in Ghent Belgium, so that probably makes a difference.

Maybe GCP knows.
Kaw-Lee

Best,

Gerold.
Yes, if you're from the South. :wink:
:D Sounded good to me. :D Ozark Hills Terry. :D

Just Google KAW-lee and see what you come up with.
Well I'll be a Monkey's Uncle...You're Right Gerold! Yee-Hahh!!

http://www.chess.com/article/view/prono ... chess-word
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:
Rolf wrote:IMO both is wrong with respect to the original. I just see a word on the page here 'signature'. If you take the very last syllable of that word, I dont recall a good example, then you have the searched name.

It's spelled with K and then o like in original, double ll like in collection and then the more typical French letter of an stumbling 'e'. ahem, e, e e. Or if you know French it's the typical e in 'le', the article. In a dic the e is given as a standing on its head e.
I can't understand you, Rolf. Apparently you think Edgard Colle was French. Wrong. He was Flemish, and from the Flemish city of Ghent.

Charles, my guess is that Colle's surname is pronounced something akin to the dog, collie. Do we have any Flemish or Dutch people handy?

All the best,
Steve
And you fell straight into the pattern. I've lived on both US coasts.
All that I met from the west coast say Coal and all east of Nevada
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly
Since Colle was Flemish you have to use the Dutch pronounciation, not the French.
Colle is then pronounced as following: "Col" as in "collection". "Le" as in the French article "le". Stress the first syllable: COL-le.
Terry McCracken

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:
Rolf wrote:IMO both is wrong with respect to the original. I just see a word on the page here 'signature'. If you take the very last syllable of that word, I dont recall a good example, then you have the searched name.

It's spelled with K and then o like in original, double ll like in collection and then the more typical French letter of an stumbling 'e'. ahem, e, e e. Or if you know French it's the typical e in 'le', the article. In a dic the e is given as a standing on its head e.
I can't understand you, Rolf. Apparently you think Edgard Colle was French. Wrong. He was Flemish, and from the Flemish city of Ghent.

Charles, my guess is that Colle's surname is pronounced something akin to the dog, collie. Do we have any Flemish or Dutch people handy?

All the best,
Steve
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly
Since Colle was Flemish you have to use the Dutch pronounciation, not the French.
Colle is then pronounced as following: "Col" as in "collection". "Le" as in the French article "le". Stress the first syllable: COL-le.
And I've been pronouncing it wrong for well, too long. :wink:

Notice the referrence I found in my second reply to Gerold.

Terry
Christopher Conkie

Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly

Terry
Yes I saw that but it might not be right.

I notice that everyone calls him Edgar here as well.

He was actually called Edgard Colle IIRC.

ED-guard

:P
Terry McCracken

Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly

Terry

ED-guard

I'll just call him Lassie from now on. :wink:
Christopher Conkie

Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly

Terry

ED-guard

lās'ē

Are you sure you want to take that word on?

:lol:
Terry McCracken

Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Stephen Ham wrote:

All the best,
Steve
say Collie.
Colle-Coaly

Terry

ED-guard

lās'ē

Are you sure you want to take that word on?

:lol:
Nope! We are in complete agreeance! :)
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Chris
Is that pronounced Coal lection or Kaw lection? Depends on what part of the US you live in.
Bill :lol:
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Maybe GCP knows.
I am from Belgium too.

Correct pronunciation is exactly like "toll" or "poll" (the final "e" is not pronounced at all).

It's the same pronunciation as the common ordinary word "colle" = glue in french.

Marc