Gothic Chess Tornado?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Gothic Chess Tornado?

Post by Engin »

i found a chess engine who plays Gothic Chess and name same as my engine Tornado.

who is the author? did he not know there is allready exist this name Tornado by me ?
Engin

Re: Gothic Chess Tornado?

Post by Engin »

Engin

Post by Engin »

my engine does not playing Gothic Chess, only Chess960
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Hi Engin,

http://gothicchess.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html

From following the picture texts, I get the idea the name is Ed Trice (the big guy).

Best,
Henrik
Engin

Post by Engin »

i think he did not know about my engine.

i was the first he use this name since year 2004 "Tornado 0.84"

computerchess world users can be confused with same name.

please tell anybody him to rename his engine maybe in "GothicTornado" or something else.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

First time I saw the Tornado GC engine was in the Gothic-Chess Computer World Champioship 2007. I was told the author wanted to remain anonymous, and that it might go commercial. Anonymous autors seem to be an epidemic in Gothic Chess: Variant Pulverizer is another engine of uncertain origin.

Btw, I can highly recommend Gothic Chess; compared to it Chess960 is an infinitely boaring game. I converted my engine Joker to play it ('Joker80'), and it was immediately amongst the very strongest Gothic engines. As Joker is only a mediocre engine, it should not be too difficult to top that, and produce a World-Champion evel Gothic engine.
Engin

Post by Engin »

what is if i programing gothic in Tornado too ??

then there is 2 engine with name Tornado who playing gothic chess, right?

i know Tornado exist allready everytime same as "Tayfun" or "Hurrycan" but i was the first one that name a engine with "Tornado", where will be are if there exist many engines with same engine like "Rybka" or "Hiarcs" who can also playing gothic chess?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Yes, this would be a problem. But it will be hard to do anything bout it, the Gothic Tornado author being unknown and unreachable.

There are no laws against using the same name as an existing Chess engine for your own. Certainly not if it plays another game, but not even if they would both play Chess. (I discovered last year there exists an Italian non-public Chess engine that is also called Joker!) Only registered trademarks are protected by law. If someone would regiser the name Tornado (or Joker) as a trademark, it would be illegal for us to continue using that name for our own engines... :shock:

It seems even 'micro-Max' is a registered trade mark. But that is for a carpet-cleaning machine, and that seems to be different enough to not preclude it be legally used for a Chess engine as well.
Engin

Post by Engin »

yes, you are right, Tornado is not registred name by law, and maybe he did not know there is allready exist this name by a chess engine.

if he did not rename his engine, maybe in "Zorro" or i will be rename my engine to "Hurrycan" or something.

did anybody know his email adress?
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

I once googled BigLion Taktix ChessGUI
and found out that all 3 names are being misused for stupid purposes :twisted:

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de