Crafty Resign threshold

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spock

Crafty Resign threshold

Post by Spock »

Does anyone know if it is possible to make Crafty resign quite late, or not at all, i.e. let the game go all the way ?

All I see is this from craftychess.com

"resign 9 which will make Crafty resign roughly five moves after the score drops below -9.000"

I wonder if "resign 20" say is valid, and that would translate roughly to five moves after the score drops below -20.000 ?
Spock

Re: Crafty Resign threshold

Post by Spock »

SzG wrote:
Yes, resign 20 is valid. And resign 0 tells Crafty never to resign.
Thanks, I'll try resign 0 :)

Edit: I wonder if that works for Frenzee..
Spock

Post by Spock »

SzG wrote:And resign 0 tells Crafty never to resign.
Hmm... "resign 0" doesn't stop Crafty resigning here
Charles B.

Post by Charles B. »

Spock wrote:
SzG wrote:And resign 0 tells Crafty never to resign.
Hmm... "resign 0" doesn't stop Crafty resigning here
Did you try resign=0? That works for me. Maybe the equal sign makes a difference?

Edit:
I was having the same problem and Dr. Hyatt replied in this post (Maybe the link will work).

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 310#247310
Spock

Post by Spock »

Charles B. wrote: Did you try resign=0? That works for me. Maybe the equal sign makes a difference?

Edit:
I was having the same problem and Dr. Hyatt replied in this post (Maybe the link will work).

Yes that works !!

I do recall that some parameters use the = sign and some don't. You have to be careful...
bob

Post by bob »

Any number is legal. To turn resignations off, just use "resign=0" and it will never resign and will play the game out to the bitter end. Probably a waste of time if you are playing tournaments or testing. I'd think that even resign=9 is pretty safe.
bob

Post by bob »

Spock wrote:
Charles B. wrote: Did you try resign=0? That works for me. Maybe the equal sign makes a difference?

Edit:

Yes that works !!

I do recall that some parameters use the = sign and some don't. You have to be careful...
It should make no difference:

Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

White(1): resign=9
resign after 5 consecutive moves with score < -9.
White(1): resign 9
White(1):

Either works fine. sd=8 and sd n are parsed the same way using strtok() which allows either an = or a space (or even a slash) as a delimiter...
Spock

Post by Spock »

bob wrote: It should make no difference:

Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

White(1):

Either works fine. sd=8 and sd n are parsed the same way using strtok() which allows either an = or a space (or even a slash) as a delimiter...
Well it did here

Double clicking the exe and reading the text that comes up when Crafty starts, with "resign 0" there was no mention of resign being disabled, with "resign=0" it DID say that resgnation was disabled,
bob

Post by bob »

Spock wrote:

Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

White(1):

Well it did here

Double clicking the exe and reading the text that comes up when Crafty starts, with "resign 0" there was no mention of resign being disabled, with "resign=0" it DID say that resgnation was disabled,
Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

White(1): resign 0
disabled resignations.
White(1): resign=0
disabled resignations.
White(1):

Should make no difference at all, and does not here either. Always make sure the last line in your crafty.rc file is blank, as wordpad will fail to put a CR/LF on the last line and that will cause it to not get parsed.
bob

Post by bob »

SzG wrote:
Spock wrote:

Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

White(1):

Well it did here

However, either works if you issue the resign command AFTER you started Crafty from the command line (that is, no resign command in the rc file).
Two different ways of parsing, it seems.
Nope. All are parsed by the same code. Here is a run with both "resign=0" and "resign 0" in my .craftyrc:

crafty% crafty
found computer opening book file [./bookc.bin].
pondering disabled.
noise level set to 0.
book learning disabled
disabled resignations.
disabled resignations.

Crafty v23.0 (1 cpus)

Notice it picked up both.