CCT 11: Fruit by Fabien Letouzey & Ryan Benitez has ente

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

CCT 11: Fruit by Fabien Letouzey & Ryan Benitez has ente

Post by Peter Skinner »

[NT]
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
swami

Re: CCT 11: Fruit by Fabien Letouzey & Ryan Benitez has

Post by swami »

Another major entrant. Tournament is going pretty very strong! It's gonna be amazing tourney overall! :)

I'm sure that the strength of the beta version of Fruit is equivalent to the strength of Rybka and Naum.

I think Learninglemming, Zct are definitely going to join sooner. I wonder if Sam is still around? I haven't heard from him since the ACCA, could someone give him a buzz? Also, It'd be good if Tony is also around.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

swami wrote: I'm sure that the strength of the beta version of Fruit is equivalent to the strength of Rybka and Naum.
Highly unlikely, but it would be impressive if it was.
The fact that it's private takes away most of the interest though, especially considering it's never likely to be made available to enthusiasts.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I look forward to this tournament. I am especially interested in how new Rybka will play. Some of Rybka 3's weaknesses have already been documented quite well so I am sure Vas has improved dramatically the strength. I would estimate new Rybka will be at least 50 ELO stronger than current Rybka 3.
swami

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:
swami wrote: I'm sure that the strength of the beta version of Fruit is equivalent to the strength of Rybka and Naum.
The fact that it's private takes away most of the interest though, especially considering it's never likely to be made available to enthusiasts.
Well, I could be exaggerating but my source was that previous beta of Fruit came in 3rd placing in the last WBEC edition, well ahead of previous version of Naum. I'd think the latest beta could give either Rybka or Naum a good fight and could even win a game or two against either of them that's provided Naum also joins.
swami

Post by swami »

M ANSARI wrote:I look forward to this tournament. I am especially interested in how new Rybka will play. Some of Rybka 3's weaknesses have already been documented quite well so I am sure Vas has improved dramatically the strength. I would estimate new Rybka will be at least 50 ELO stronger than current Rybka 3.
May I know where Rybka's key weaknesses have been documented, are the details available somewhere in a thread at Rybka forum, if so may I have a link? I only find the bug thread there. Is there a special thread about the Rybka's weaknesses in positional understanding?

Thanks.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

When I say well documented, I should say it is well documented and understood by Vas. IMHO there is some weakness in bishop pair under evaluation in some positions and ofcourse the known bugs can also be considered well documented weaknesses since they can lose points in a tourney.

If you are interested, I did a comprehensive study of Rybka 3 vs Naum 4 with bishop pair.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... l?tid=9492
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Graham Banks wrote:
Why is this allowed for tournaments? Where is the control of the fairness?
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
bob

Post by bob »

Rolf wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
why is what allowed??? what control for fairness???
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

bob wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
why is what allowed??? what control for fairness???
Not sure what Rolf's point is either. Fabien has given his permission for Fruit to enter and it is good to see it in CCT.