SSD Awesomeness

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

SSD Awesomeness

Post by Vinvin »

bob

Re: SSD Awesomeness

Post by bob »

If you had worked with the people I have worked with over the years, the _only_ thing that is interesting there is the cost. I ran on a multi-terabyte SSD many years ago at Cray. Probably cost just a bit more. :) but it was also faster. Of course it had the I/O channels of the Cray T932 behind it so bandwidth was enormous.
Anil

Post by Anil »

The video is really impressive. But, don't they have a limitation in the number of times data can be written on such drives?

Has anyone from this forum already bought one of these?
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Geeez ... all that hardware and they have to use passive cooling for 2 x QX9775's. That is criminal :D . Stick 2 fans on those passive Zalman HS's and you have an easy upgrade to 2 x 4cores at 4Ghz. That would certainly improve performance on many of the tests they made.

By the way, not all SSD's are made the same. The new generation of SSD's from Intel and Samsung are really a huge advance over SSD's of a year or two ago.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Anil wrote:
The video is really impressive. But, don't they have a limitation in the number of times data can be written on such drives?

I don't think you have to worry about that.

I'd love a SSD One Terabyte or more!
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Anil wrote:

Depends on the technology.. Cray Research used plain old DRAM for later versions of their SSD, and bipolar SRAM for the early versions. None of those had any issues...
Bo Persson
Full name: Bo Persson

Post by Bo Persson »

bob wrote:
Anil wrote:

Depends on the technology.. Cray Research used plain old DRAM for later versions of their SSD, and bipolar SRAM for the early versions. None of those had any issues...
Guess not. :-)

However, you can get these 24 Samsung drives for "only" $20.000. Perhaps the Cray models were slightly more expensive.