Marty Hirsch

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Marty Hirsch

Post by Sylwy »

Hi !

Does someone know if Marty Hirsch ( NASA engineer ) still work in computer chess area ? I consider his M-Chess Pro ( the world champion in Paderborn/1995 in a very strong and select company ) the best and complete DOS chess program ever.Yesterbay I played some blitz games.Was a delight !

Thank you in advance !
Silvian
:?:
swami

Re: Marty Hirsch

Post by swami »

Sylwy wrote:Hi !

Does someone know if Marty Hirsch ( NASA engineer ) still work in computer chess area ? I consider his M-Chess Pro ( the world champion in Paderborn/1995 in a very strong and select company ) the best and complete DOS chess program ever.Yesterbay I played some blitz games.Was a delight !

Thank you in advance !
Silvian
:?:
Didn't Thorsten say Mchess author was working on it to make it a UCI? He seems to have a newer special beta version for himself. I wonder if the author will ever release a new UCI version of the engine...It'd be good if he did release it one day. Hope Thorsten might add something on this topic, about the author's progress or something.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

M-Chess was the first chess software I ever bought. It had just won the world championship and was being sold by the Chess Federation of Canada for either $99 or $199 :shock: I really didn't know about computer chess then, so went ahead and bought it. The only thing I had before that was handhelds. M-Chess was brutally powerful, so strong it was actually intimidating to play. Unfortunately, Hirsch refused to bring it into a windows environment and sales dropped over time. He worked on an Internet Chess site called World Chess or something like that, it went under or was bought out by someone.

Anyway, it would be nice to see it come out as a freeware download I can play in Chessbase :D Today, M-Chess would get demolished by the top commercial programs, no doubt :twisted:
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »