Timestamp probllems

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

michiguel

Timestamp probllems

Post by michiguel »

It works fine in Ubuntu linux 8.10 32 bits but it does not in 64 bits.

I got this error when I try to execute it
bash: ./timestamp: No such file or directory

Bob sent me his copy that is working in Fedora 64 bits but it does not work either in my system. What do you think I have wrong?
Is timestamp trying to access a file or library that I do not have? That will explain it

Miguel
sje

Re: Timestamp probllems

Post by sje »

I don't believe that Ubuntu 64 bit kernel allows 32 bit executables. It seems that 64 bit operation is not a big priority at Ubuntu although this may be changing.

Consider switching wholesale to Fedora until Ubuntu becomes more 64 bit friendly.
bob

Post by bob »

michiguel wrote:It works fine in Ubuntu linux 8.10 32 bits but it does not in 64 bits.

I got this error when I try to execute it
bash: ./timestamp: No such file or directory

Bob sent me his copy that is working in Fedora 64 bits but it does not work either in my system. What do you think I have wrong?
Is timestamp trying to access a file or library that I do not have? That will explain it

Miguel
You probably need the package lib-compat or something like that, which gives the 32 bit shared libs. Here's the output for "ldd" which you should have on your system. Make sure you have these libs installed...

linux-gate.so.1 => (0x003cd000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0012e000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x0036b000)
bob

Post by bob »

sje wrote:I don't believe that Ubuntu 64 bit kernel allows 32 bit executables. It seems that 64 bit operation is not a big priority at Ubuntu although this may be changing.

Consider switching wholesale to Fedora until Ubuntu becomes more 64 bit friendly.
Good point. If the kernel doesn't have 32 bit executable support built in, then it is not going to recognize a 32 bit executable, even if you have the necessary libraries I mentioned.
ilari

Post by ilari »

sje wrote:I don't believe that Ubuntu 64 bit kernel allows 32 bit executables. It seems that 64 bit operation is not a big priority at Ubuntu although this may be changing.

Where did you get this information? Ubuntu 64-bit has had support for 32-bit binaries for years. I should know, I use them every day.
sje

Post by sje »

ilari wrote:

Where did you get this information? Ubuntu 64-bit has had support for 32-bit binaries for years. I should know, I use them every day.
I haven't hit the Ubuntu site recently, but for years they seemed interested only in handing out 32 bit kernels. Maybe this has changed with the advent of more affordable 64 bit hardware.
Aleks Peshkov

Post by Aleks Peshkov »

Ubuntu does not develop Linux kernels. :)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

You could try OpenSeal.
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

hgm wrote:You could try OpenSeal.
That will not work. TimeStamp and TimeSeal are not the same. The former works with ICC, while the latter works with FICS and all other servers that are based on the open source ICS server.
ilari

Post by ilari »

sje wrote:I haven't hit the Ubuntu site recently, but for years they seemed interested only in handing out 32 bit kernels. Maybe this has changed with the advent of more affordable 64 bit hardware.
A lot has changed in the last couple of years. They are very serious about 64-bit support.