Rybka won with 2 points advantage (objectively, get real)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rolf

Rybka won with 2 points advantage (objectively, get real)

Post by Rolf »

Congrats to the sole GM among so many talented masters, amateurs and experienced masters. Rybka is just the best. We see this in most SWISS SYSTEM tournaments that the superior force spends a full point in the first round. He then just wins everything and still has time to draw with the local champion of the event.

Of course Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Shredder were missing, just like other usual participants of the tournaments of ICCA like Jonny, but if they had shown up, they would have maximised the triumph of Rybka but they wouldnt have won the event. Basically that is why they all forfeited in advance.

If I were allowed to praise a single other program out of the many participating then it's for me the old DIEP, whose author showed great sport's mind and for whom it's the participation itself and not the place that is of importance which shows a really Olympic spirit. Thanks, Vince, and please go on for many years to come.

I have only a single little critic, more a feedback. In other years I could read hints how to connect with ICC and with a new machine I simply had forgotten the clue. Perhaps someone could give a link to the many whisper and other commentaries in the tournament? Thanks in advance.

Rolf
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Matthias Gemuh

Re: Rybka won with 2 points advantage (objectively, get real

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Rolf wrote: If I were allowed to praise a single other program out of the many participating then it's for me the old DIEP,
Rolf

Diep ? You surely mean Arasan !

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Rolf wrote: If I were allowed to praise a single other program out of the many participating then it's for me the old DIEP,
Rolf

Diep ? You surely mean Arasan !

Matthias.
Of course. That one beamed me into the epoche of 1996 but I was writing as a European and then it's Diep for me.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Yes I also like Diep, but Bright and Arsan made huge strides. Amazing how far these engines have come and how strong they are today.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

M ANSARI wrote:Yes I also like Diep, but Bright and Arsan made huge strides. Amazing how far these engines have come and how strong they are today.

I was talking of Diepeveen and not only his program Diep.

We see many here who give it a try but then they leave again, if they cant successfully compete. If success means winning at least high in the ranks. Downwards we have some others who (always) participate too.

So, therefore I praised Vincent, for his stamina, his Olympic spirit! Arasan is as if CSTal would re-appear. I am quite certain that also that program could show improvements, on hardware bases. But would Chris have Vince's motivation and dedication for the sport as such? At least it and its author were away for many years, period.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Rolf wrote:Of course Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Shredder were missing, just like other usual participants of the tournaments of ICCA like Jonny, but if they had shown up, they would have maximised the triumph of Rybka but they wouldnt have won the event. Basically that is why they all forfeited in advance.Rolf
Hi Pope, do you really believe that F, J, H, and S did not show up because they were scared of Rybka? In support of your assertion, I cannot think of any other reason, Fritz normally goes into all contests, for marketing purposes! Do you think F, J, H and S will participate in the next WCCC?

Cordially,

Sean
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Sean Evans wrote:
Rolf wrote:Of course Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Shredder were missing, just like other usual participants of the tournaments of ICCA like Jonny, but if they had shown up, they would have maximised the triumph of Rybka but they wouldnt have won the event. Basically that is why they all forfeited in advance.Rolf
Hi Pope, do you really believe that F, J, H, and S did not show up because they were scared of Rybka? In support of your assertion, I cannot think of any other reason, Fritz normally goes into all contests, for marketing purposes! Do you think F, J, H and S will participate in the next WCCC?

Cordially,

Sean
Fritz stopped playing in computer tournaments around the time it became clear it had almost no chance to win. Losing doesn't help marketing much.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dirt wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Fritz stopped playing in computer tournaments around the time it became clear it had almost no chance to win. Losing doesn't help marketing much.
Very true....I was about to post the same answer....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Sean Evans wrote:

Cordially,

Sean
Because you ask let me try to give you the answer but I dont know if this World here is ready for the truth yet.

I dont know from when on (1980? Bob may answer that) we have still the same situation that became visible in 1996. We have a dominating company (Germany), changing presidencies (Anglo-Canadian), and academic arbiter/community journal (Dutch).

With the decline of chess propagator Kasparov and the hopeless chess situation of man vs machine, computerchess became a training tool. Since the company had always its main focus on databasing the chess scores worldwide it's now the chess institution for the serious chessplayer.

The many engines that run under the CB/FRITZ GUI offer choices from Wch height down to experimental TURING engines. UCI is the language what English is for science. Chess databases are for the game of chess, what science is for nature and man as such.

Nowadays RYBKA as UCI runs on that GUI and as the best wins the titles for all of us who own the architecture of the leading Heavy Weight Champion. In tournaments the American hardware is a nice surplus for the show. And this will now last for eternity.

Allow me a personal remark ex cathedra. For political reasons I strongly reject the actual situation in chess/computerchess. In science the workers (called scientists) at least have a living and they are socially recompensated with Prizes and everlasting fame.

The poor sub-proletariat of chess players does not even own its chess moves, the score sheets and fabulous discoveries. They have no safety zones for their laboratories and output. They are automatically milked by sensor boards and held like slaves in hotel rooms. The data flow goes to resellers in Hamburg. Fritz is no longer a regular sportsman in the arena.

You get the drift. I can assure you that my own chessmoves from my youth on are NOT thrown on the market like peanuts. I played them for a World to come in future, when every personal data output has its value again like the primitive drawings in the caves of Lascaux!

I shouldnt have written all this because now they will come and milk me too... just joking.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Pope, I wasn't aware that Fritz no longer participates in tournaments. What happened to there full time programmer Frans Morsch?

Also, strange about Shredder, that program never missed a tournament and usually won, is Rybka really THAT much better than everyone else they are hiding from Rybka??