xboard protocol - a compromise that would work

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: xboard protocol - a compromise that would work

Post by hgm »

krazyken wrote:Isn't this what happened when "offer draw" took on extra functionality? How is an engine to know when offer draw can also be used to make a claim?
That was exactly the reason for using offer draw here; the engine does not have to know. It is always safe to send offer draw when you are about to claim a draw.

1) In the worst case the GUI interprets it as a genuine draw offer, (if it is an old GUI), relays it to the opponent, the opponent accepts it, and you have your draw.

2) In ICS play, both old and new GUIs relay the draw offer to the ICS, which does treat it as a claim if you follow it up by a move that brings about a claimable draw.

3) In new GUIs, the GUI grants the draw before the opponent gets a chance to move, and you will have your draw, plus a clean PGN.

It always works, and there is no need for the engine to know how it works.
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:I agree with Bob that the "time kludge" does not work.
bob wrote:(1) I gave a simple way to correctly deal with offering draws, and claiming draws, which suffer from no race condition at all. Ever.
Well, I know zillions of ways that would work if I had the freedom to design a protocol from scratch. The challenge is to find ways that work that can be used by new engines without breaking them on old GUIs, and that don't break the GUIs using the new way with old engines. If you have done that, I must have missed it in the noise you are making. The only solution I have seen you propose so far is the way it already works, except that you want to rename some of the commands. And I consider the wording of the commands a completely unrelated subject, orthogonal to what we are discussing (namely solving the race condition).
(2) I gave a simple alias to "offer draw" so that a program can use "offer draw" to offer a draw, and "draw" to claim a draw, which is more natural to a chess program. It would be possible to interchange the two commands without having any effect on the GUI since the two commands are identical.
Yes, and it did not seem to work to me. Perhaps you did not describe it completely. Suppose youre engine runs on a GUI thathas sent you protover 2 in the beginning. What will Crafty be sending to that GUI when it wants to claim a draw after its next move?
what I would _like_ to do is do the claim in the order I would use in a human event. examples:

(1) I want to claim a draw and do not need to make a move to do so. I would like to send "draw" and have the game end.

(2) I want to claim a draw after I play a move, because only after I play this move will the draw condition be valid. I would like to send "move xxx" and then "draw".

(3) I want to offer a draw to my opponent. I would like to send "move xxx" and then "offer draw".

(4) My opponent offers me a draw. I would like to send "draw" and not send a move.

I do not see any race conditions, I do not think about any race conditions. I just do things in an order that a chess player would feel comfortable doing. The race condition is there, and the GUI has to handle it. When it sees "draw" from me, there are two possibilities. (a) the position before my move is a draw and the game should end. (b) if it sees draw and the current position is not a draw, it needs to back up to the position immediately following my last move and see if the claim would be valid there. That covers the race conditoin and doesn't even require a discussion of the race condition. At present, using the current offer draw, which could be fixed to work as I explained above, one still has to explain _why_ do I need to offer a draw before I make a move, when I want to claim a draw after making the move? Just let the draw (or offer draw if you insist) be given before _or_ after a move. And then see if it fits either of the two above circumstances. If so, end the game, if not, send the offer to the opponent. One can _still_ send offer draw before the move. Or one could send it after, and it would work exactly the same for those sending it before the move, and would also work correctly for those doing the more natural thing and offering after the move.

All the GUI has to do to handle a "draw/offer-draw" command is the following. Since it can not determine whether the draw claim should be applied after the last move by this player, or before the current move by this player, due to the already explained race condition, the GUI just asks itself two questions.

(1) If I back up to right after the last move played by the side claiming a draw, is this a drawn position, by rule? If so, end the game. If I wait until we reach the point where it is this player's move again, meaning after the opponent's move, is this a drawn position, by rule? If so, end the game. If neither is true, send a draw offer to the opponent and forget about it. This works in every possible case. It lets me claim a draw before I make a move, or even without making a move, and it lets me claim a draw _after_ I make a move that meets rule requirements.
Well, so far this is exactly how the 1/2-1/2 command is implemented. And I don't see a good reason to offer an alias for the 1/2-1/2 command. (Or in fact for any command.)
We are on different pages. In the last example that started this discussion, Crafty sent 1/2-1/2 _before_ making the move that repeated for the 3rd time. It was penalized with a loss. And you said this is _exactly_ what xboard does also.

Further, you have repeatedly claimed that 1/2-1/2 says that a program is effectively refusing to continue. If you read my description above, this is not true at all. If I can claim a draw, I want to do so, otherwise turn it into an offer to my opponent. Where/when did you modify 1/2-1/2 to behave like that?

Another problem is that it does not work in ICS play. The ICS would not compare my "draw" command to the previous position when the opponent won the race. So in ICS play the GUI would have to send the "draw" to the ICS before the move. It cannot do that if you claim it after the move.
Sure it would. If one uses offer draw _before_ making the move, which is what is needed now for ICC, this would continue to work just fine. The draw offer after the move is problematic for ICC at the moment, and as I have already explained, draw/offer draw before the move would be a workable solution. I've already given up on 1/2-1/2 since we know that is not going to work.
It does let me offer a draw in an inopportune time, but that is OK and the GUI should be able to prevent me from offering millions of draws in succession to interfere with my opponent's search.
Indeed, and in fact current XBoard does prevent that. It has a very tight interpretation of the FIDE rule that you should not distract your opponent by spurious draw climing, namely that even a single on in the opponents time is too many. Some engines are very easily distracted.
In a normal OTB game, I make a move, tell my opponent "I offer a draw" and press the clock. The program author follows that same guideline when writing an engine, and it will work every time, without fail. It won't break old engines. It won't break old GUIs any more than they are already broken. It won't cause any problems. And it solves at least one big one, plus a couple of minor understandability issues for those that play tournament chess themselves.
Current XBoard sends draw offers together with the move, whenever it relays a draw offer. So that seems OK.
That I don't follow so I am not sure what you mean. You still have to send draw first to ICC, and then the move, separated by a \n character.
krazyken

Post by krazyken »

hgm wrote:
krazyken wrote:Isn't this what happened when "offer draw" took on extra functionality? How is an engine to know when offer draw can also be used to make a claim?
That was exactly the reason for using offer draw here; the engine does not have to know. It is always safe to send offer draw when you are about to claim a draw.

1) In the worst case the GUI interprets it as a genuine draw offer, (if it is an old GUI), relays it to the opponent, the opponent accepts it, and you have your draw.

2) In ICS play, both old and new GUIs relay the draw offer to the ICS, which does treat it as a claim if you follow it up by a move that brings about a claimable draw.

3) In new GUIs, the GUI grants the draw before the opponent gets a chance to move, and you will have your draw, plus a clean PGN.

It always works, and there is no need for the engine to know how it works.
in case 1 the worst case is that the game never ends. No guarantee you are playing against someone who can accept draws.
rjgibert

Post by rjgibert »

bob wrote:what I would _like_ to do is do the claim in the order I would use in a human event. examples:

(1) I want to claim a draw and do not need to make a move to do so. I would like to send "draw" and have the game end.

(2) I want to claim a draw after I play a move, because only after I play this move will the draw condition be valid. I would like to send "move xxx" and then "draw".

(3) I want to offer a draw to my opponent. I would like to send "move xxx" and then "offer draw".

(4) My opponent offers me a draw. I would like to send "draw" and not send a move.
(2) is not valid in a human event in the case of 3-fold repetition and the 50 move rule. The proper procedure is to write the drawing move down on your score sheet and present it along with your draw claim. If you actually play the move instead, then make the draw claim, then the claim is invalid. You cannot make a draw claim after you make your move. The last player to make a move on the board must always be your opponent for a draw claim to be valid.

Computers might be treated differently in this regard, but you asserted (2) as valid in a human event and this is not correct.

BTW, if you are ambiguous about whether you are making a draw offer or claiming a draw I would expect it would be interpreted as a draw offer, which can be refused of course.
hgm

Post by hgm »

krazyken wrote:in case 1 the worst case is that the game never ends. No guarantee you are playing against someone who can accept draws.
Indeed. And this is why the protool continues to require the 1/2-1/2 termination mesage, after the move, for the engine to sign off. The old specs stipulated that this was obligatory ("must send"), and I have not changed the specs of the RESULT command. I just changed XBoard's implementation to not unconditionally believing the reported result, but correcting it. The specs don't define what the effect of this commands (or any engine->GUI) command should be if it is used illegally (i.e. in violaation of the protocol).
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

rjgibert wrote:
bob wrote:what I would _like_ to do is do the claim in the order I would use in a human event. examples:

(2) is not valid in a human event in the case of 3-fold repetition and the 50 move rule. The proper procedure is to write the drawing move down on your score sheet and present it along with your draw claim. If you actually play the move instead, then make the draw claim, then the claim is invalid. You cannot make a draw claim after you make your move. The last player to make a move on the board must always be your opponent for a draw claim to be valid.

Computers might be treated differently in this regard, but you asserted (2) as valid in a human event and this is not correct.

BTW, if you are ambiguous about whether you are making a draw offer or claiming a draw I would expect it would be interpreted as a draw offer, which can be refused of course.
You are right.
even if you make a move and stop the clocks and claim that the position repeated 3 times the draw claim is not valid based on the fide rule.

I practically did it correctly by first writing my move in a tournament game some years ago but for some reason did not think about it when the subject was about computers when writing your move is equivalent to making a move.

I also do not see the logic behind this fide rule and I think that it is more logical to change it and allow humans to claim a draw even after they complete the move as long as they did not press the clock.

Uri
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

hgm wrote:
krazyken wrote:in case 1 the worst case is that the game never ends. No guarantee you are playing against someone who can accept draws.
Indeed. And this is why the protool continues to require the 1/2-1/2 termination mesage, after the move, for the engine to sign off. The old specs stipulated that this was obligatory ("must send"), and I have not changed the specs of the RESULT command. I just changed XBoard's implementation to not unconditionally believing the reported result, but correcting it. The specs don't define what the effect of this commands (or any engine->GUI) command should be if it is used illegally (i.e. in violaation of the protocol).
Could you make this more clear in the protocol? It is really confusing. At the end of the RESULT {COMMENT} section you mention all the situations where this command should not be used and at the end it finishes with "For offering and claiming draws, "offer draw" should be used". At best, it invites misunderstandings.

The original protocol was already inaccurate because a 3-fold rep does not end the game by rule.

Miguel
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Uri Blass wrote:
rjgibert wrote:

You are right.
even if you make a move and stop the clocks and claim that the position repeated 3 times the draw claim is not valid based on the fide rule.

I practically did it correctly by first writing my move in a tournament game some years ago but for some reason did not think about it when the subject was about computers when writing your move is equivalent to making a move.

I also do not see the logic behind this fide rule and I think that it is more logical to change it and allow humans to claim a draw even after they complete the move as long as they did not press the clock.

Uri
It is very consistent with other FIDE rules and it makes a lot of sense. You have to claim things at your move, when your clock is running.

A bit unrelated, but to show the spirit of the rules, the correct etiquette to offer a draw is to move, offer a draw verbally, and then hit the clock. If you hit the clock and then offer, you are bothering your opponent in their time.

Miguel
hgm

Post by hgm »

But draw might not end the game at all. Because the GUI might not recognize it as a WB command. No currently existing GUI would. And no matter how you or I redefine the protocol, these GUIs will continue to be around in large numbers. And they won't give you an error message back. Always sending (only) draw will break your engine on every existing GUI. I cannot imagin that this is what you have in mind.
Yes, that would be nice. But how would you make it work on an ICS, which can only solve the draw condition if you send it an extra command before the move.
No problem there.
Same problem as with (1) and (2). There also is a race condition here in ICS play. (According to the old protocol specs; I never thought about why exactly.) The offer might no longer be valid. So now how would you want draw to be processed in that case? The best you can do is make a counter offer. So you have to give a move, or you might forfeit on time. It is also very counter-intuitive that after being offered a draw, and accepting it, you still might have to play on (or forfeit on time). But this just can't be helped.
I do not see any race conditions, I do not think about any race conditions. I just do things in an order that a chess player would feel comfortable doing. The race condition is there, and the GUI has to handle it. When it sees "draw" from me, there are two possibilities. (a) the position before my move is a draw and the game should end. (b) if it sees draw and the current position is not a draw, it needs to back up to the position immediately following my last move and see if the claim would be valid there. That covers the race conditoin and doesn't even require a discussion of the race condition. At present, using the current offer draw, which could be fixed to work as I explained above, one still has to explain _why_ do I need to offer a draw before I make a move, when I want to claim a draw after making the move? Just let the draw (or offer draw if you insist) be given before _or_ after a move. And then see if it fits either of the two above circumstances. If so, end the game, if not, send the offer to the opponent. One can _still_ send offer draw before the move. Or one could send it after, and it would work exactly the same for those sending it before the move, and would also work correctly for those doing the more natural thing and offering after the move.

All the GUI has to do to handle a "draw/offer-draw" command is the following. Since it can not determine whether the draw claim should be applied after the last move by this player, or before the current move by this player, due to the already explained race condition, the GUI just asks itself two questions.
hgm wrote:[quote="bob""](1) If I back up to right after the last move played by the side claiming a draw, is this a drawn position, by rule? If so, end the game. If I wait until we reach the point where it is this player's move again, meaning after the opponent's move, is this a drawn position, by rule? If so, end the game. If neither is true, send a draw offer to the opponent and forget about it. This works in every possible case. It lets me claim a draw before I make a move, or even without making a move, and it lets me claim a draw _after_ I make a move that meets rule requirements.
Well, so far this is exactly how the 1/2-1/2 command is implemented. And I don't see a good reason to offer an alias for the 1/2-1/2 command. (Or in fact for any command.)
We are on different pages. In the last example that started this discussion, Crafty sent 1/2-1/2 _before_ making the move that repeated for the 3rd time. It was penalized with a loss. And you said this is _exactly_ what xboard does also.
[/quote]
OK, I have to apologize there, because I see now that I edited in this remark in a different place than for which it was intended. The "so far" was meant to refer to the "if so, it ends the game".

At the time I wrote "_exactly_" what XBoard does, it was not clear what exactly the problem was. My statement referred to penalizing it as a false claim, (as opposed to treating it s an offer, and try to wait if the engine wants to play on after it). I was under the impression that Crafty was sending 1/2-1/2 before the move after which it could claim. You were under the impression that Crafty was being forfeited for sending offer draw. Only later it became apparent to me that the problem here was that ChessGUI had not properly resolved the race condition, nor implemented offer draw as an advance claim. Had I realized that at the time, my answer would have been different.

So let us reset completely to remove all previous misunderstandings, and let me re-iterate here:

1) A 1/2-1/2 sent 'before your own move', without any draw condition present since the last move of the opponent, will be classified as "false claim", even if the following move draws.
2) A 1/2-1/2 sent 'after your own move' will be judged in the context of both the position immediately after that move, as well as the one before your next move (= after the opponent's move that follows). If either of those is a claimable draw or draw by rule, a draw is granted. If neither of them is a draw, it will be classified a "false claim".

Now the user decides if a false claim will be accepted anyway (old XBoard behavior), or if it will be corrected to a loss (forfeit) for the false claimer. In any case the game is terminated, as I consider this the primary function of a RESULT command, and the fact that it also gives the GUI a hint about the outcome only secondary.

Now to come back to your proposal:
So the difference between your proposed draw command and the existing 1/2-1/2 is how it is treated in case of a false claim. It does not have the meaning of a game-termination, so the engine can be required to play on after it, and it makes sense to translate it to a draw offer to be relayed to the opponent, in that case.

So in a sense this new command serves no other purpose than to make it easier for engines to make false claims, without being caught. Well, I don't like that at all. Engines making buggy claims should be found out as quickly as possible, so they can be repaired. This is to the benefit of all involved parties. Hiding their bugs just makes life more difficult.
Further, you have repeatedly claimed that 1/2-1/2 says that a program is effectively refusing to continue. If you read my description above, this is not true at all. If I can claim a draw, I want to do so, otherwise turn it into an offer to my opponent. Where/when did you modify 1/2-1/2 to behave like that?

Another problem is that it does not work in ICS play. The ICS would not compare my "draw" command to the previous position when the opponent won the race. So in ICS play the GUI would have to send the "draw" to the ICS before the move. It cannot do that if you claim it after the move.
Sure it would. If one uses offer draw _before_ making the move, which is what is needed now for ICC, this would continue to work just fine.
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but it does not seem that this is contained in the description you gave of this proposed draw command. You are only talking there about the position after the last move or before the next move of the claimer. Now you suddenly want to compare it to the position after the next move as well?
The draw offer after the move is problematic for ICC at the moment, and as I have already explained, draw/offer draw before the move would be a workable solution. I've already given up on 1/2-1/2 since we know that is not going to work.
OK, so the need to send some claim command before the move continues to exist. And the need to terminate the game by a 1/2-1/2 message will continue to exist, to not break the engine for running under old GUIs. Unless you provide some additional handshaking that would allow the engine to figure out if the GUI it is now running under supports draw. How do yu propose to do that?
That I don't follow so I am not sure what you mean. You still have to send draw first to ICC, and then the move, separated by a \n character.
It refers to timing. The GUI sends a draw offer to an opponent engine just before it sends it your (remaining time+)move. Sending the move would have to make the opponent interrupt pondering anyway, so at this moment the draw offer cannot do any harm. In ICS or Human play, the GUI passes the offer to the ICS or Human immediately.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

hgm wrote: At the time I wrote "_exactly_" what XBoard does, it was not clear what exactly the problem was. My statement referred to penalizing it as a false claim, (as opposed to treating it s an offer, and try to wait if the engine wants to play on after it). I was under the impression that Crafty was sending 1/2-1/2 before the move after which it could claim. You were under the impression that Crafty was being forfeited for sending offer draw. Only later it became apparent to me that the problem here was that ChessGUI had not properly resolved the race condition, nor implemented offer draw as an advance claim. Had I realized that at the time, my answer would have been different.

ChessGUI knew no "offer draw" to resolve race issues.
It just terminated the games after the move, i.e. _between_ "move + 1/2-1/2", permitting no race.
Craty sent "1/2-1/2 + move" only (no draw offer anywhere) and was forfeited.
After making ChessGUI aware of "offer draw" and permitting play beyond first occurence of 3-fold-rep/50-move OTB, Crafty would still forfeit with what it did.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de