Is this IBM's successor to Deep Blue?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Is this IBM's successor to Deep Blue?

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Will Singleton wrote:DC,

Watch any typical game of Jeopardy and you'll see it would be impossible for a computer to compete. What they will do is dumb-down the game, eliminating many classes of questions, including those that depend on video, audio, rhyming, word play, questions that require mixing responses, etc etc.

With a simplified game, it should be very interesting to gauge the computer's performance. Doubtless they'll run tests to ensure the game will be competitive, so we can judge the performance level just by assessing the difficulty of the questions.

In any case, such an effort by IBM is extremely interesting whether it yields valid results or not. Judging by your reaction, I doubt you're a Jeopardy aficionado. Or perhaps you're not very good at it.

Will
I watch it all the time, and usually know the right answers.

There is a board game version. When my wife was in the hospital once, I was in a waiting room for 8 hours or so, playing the board game version of Jeopardy with 6-7 others. I won by a colossal score.

Are you unaware that the answers posted on the board are DIRECT QUOTES from the Encyclopedia Brittanica? How hard do you think it is to recognize a direct quote?

I guess that they could leave in all the video questions etc, and the computer will still win.

I work in data retrieval. I could write a program that will recognize the given sentence and return the answer (from the Encyclopedia database) in less than one millisecond.
Then why don't you do it and then challenge IBM's monster with a PC?

Or for Mattel and get rich this Christmas?
Terry McCracken
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote:I could write a program that will recognize the given sentence and return the answer (from the Encyclopedia database) in less than one millisecond.
The 2 main tricks here, from the top of my head, are:

* store all the data in RAM rather than on disc (some implementations of SQL have an option to do this, or you can write your own data storage model)

* think very carefully about the data indexing scheme, so that the smallest possible number of records have to be looked at
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Codeman wrote:Reminds me very much on the Chatterbox challenge: http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com/

Some of the programs are already very advanced in talking nonsense.

I think its not far off these projects to built a program to form a question to an answer.
Some reference :
The winner get the Loebner Prize : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loebner_prize
Here's an interresting question by a judge :
"2005-09-18-10-04-44 JUDGE: If you are human, tell me which is larger, a salt crystal or the Empire State Building."
:lol:
Here's the entire log : http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/2005_Cont ... ssion1.htm
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

towforce wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:I could write a program that will recognize the given sentence and return the answer (from the Encyclopedia database) in less than one millisecond.
The 2 main tricks here, from the top of my head, are:

* store all the data in RAM rather than on disc (some implementations of SQL have an option to do this, or you can write your own data storage model)

* think very carefully about the data indexing scheme, so that the smallest possible number of records have to be looked at
The best way to accomplish this is very close to your suggestion.

1. You use an in-memory database, and specifically a column store.
2. You create what is called an inverted index and also a bitmap index.

The lookups will be like lightning.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Vinvin wrote:
Codeman wrote:Reminds me very much on the Chatterbox challenge: http://www.chatterboxchallenge.com/

Some of the programs are already very advanced in talking nonsense.

I think its not far off these projects to built a program to form a question to an answer.
Some reference :
The winner get the Loebner Prize : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loebner_prize
Here's an interresting question by a judge :
"2005-09-18-10-04-44 JUDGE: If you are human, tell me which is larger, a salt crystal or the Empire State Building."
:lol:
Here's the entire log : http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/2005_Cont ... ssion1.htm
A salt crystal can be infinite in size, given enough salt and time to grow.

I am pretty sure that somewhere in the universe there is a salt crystal larger than the empire state building. So my answer is "a salt crystal."
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Is it possible for us to play against this machine ...

Post by Father »

Is it possible for us, te commun human beings, to play against this machine ... or it will me a new Mith?
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Father

Deep blue 100% machine and 1.000% Myth

Post by Father »

... I was forgotten ... Deep Blue is a strong machine built by man beings, over, 10% of technology, and 90% of legend or Myth. I.B.M. strongest move, was eraser all the chances for beating Deep Blue, for common, normal, and not special or smart people. Personally I believe, that Deep Blue is over all a fantasia & trick against human being intelligence of its ege.When history is written for its authors, history is in an important %, a lie.
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Dann Corbit

Re: Deep blue 100% machine and 1.000% Myth

Post by Dann Corbit »

Father wrote:... I was forgotten ... Deep Blue is a strong machine built by man beings, over, 10% of technology, and 90% of legend or Myth. I.B.M. strongest move, was eraser all the chances for beating Deep Blue, for common, normal, and not special or smart people. Personally I believe, that Deep Blue is over all a fantasia & trick against human being intelligence of its ege.When history is written for its authors, history is in an important %, a lie.
It may have been a myth, but it kicked Garry Kasparov's butt. You have to be mythologically strong to do that, psychout or no psychout.
Terry McCracken

Re: Deep blue 100% machine and 1.000% Myth

Post by Terry McCracken »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Father wrote:... I was forgotten ... Deep Blue is a strong machine built by man beings, over, 10% of technology, and 90% of legend or Myth. I.B.M. strongest move, was eraser all the chances for beating Deep Blue, for common, normal, and not special or smart people. Personally I believe, that Deep Blue is over all a fantasia & trick against human being intelligence of its ege.When history is written for its authors, history is in an important %, a lie.
It may have been a myth, but it kicked Garry Kasparov's butt. You have to be mythologically strong to do that, psychout or no psychout.
...And IBM will probably whip your ass at Jeopardy!
Terry McCracken
Father

Machines with an elo of 3.00 or more, is an absolute lie

Post by Father »

Chess machines with an elo of 2.000 or more elo, is an absolute Myth and lie

... sure, but everybody could see then, not by me, for many people, the Myth gives many draws and why not, failures, playing it against GM, I.M., MF, and many many amateurs...

We won’t forget… There is not any chess perfect chess machine. They usually give draws to amateurs, and people, with elo, not superior to 1.200 Fide.