CP Journal

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jsuberd

CP Journal

Post by jsuberd »

Greetings,

I have an idea in case it has not been tried before here. Please consider the amount of discussions produced in CP in various places like here TC, WBF or CPW. It is to scattered around and is about many fields. Can we have a sort of Journal to organize the material produced in such places in a timely basis ?

For instance the CPJ could include sections on Search, Eval, Test, History, Lessons for begginers, AI, Programming tips, and so on. We could publish it in weekly/monthly basis. IMO no need put huge effort to produce new materials, since it is already there, just needs organization. This would be helpful for varouis people:

Newbies : They can get a clearer picture of whats going on and how to start.

Experts : Can have a look at various developments in the field they want to pursue and follow extensive discussions accordingly. Also if they miss CP for some time they can get an idea of trends.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave Gomboc

Re: CP Journal

Post by Dave Gomboc »

jsuberd wrote:Greetings,

I have an idea in case it has not been tried before here. Please consider the amount of discussions produced in CP in various places like here TC, WBF or CPW. It is to scattered around and is about many fields. Can we have a sort of Journal to organize the material produced in such places in a timely basis ?
I think you might be interested in back issues of the ICGA Journal. Specifically, ICGA stands for International Computer Games Association, and earlier it used to be the ICCA (Chess instead of Games). Very old back issues are published as the ICCA Newsletter, before the newsletter became a full journal.

You can try to borrow these items via interlibrary loans (go to your local university's library, at least where I've lived the public library can't get them). Or, go to www.icga.org, examine the table of contents for prior issues, and order the back issues you are interested in (and consider joining while you are at it!)

Dave
jsuberd

Post by jsuberd »

Hello,

In fact I want to suggest some people here manage to publish an online issue in pdf formant for instance. I suppose this is not much of work mostly copy and paste. Just maybe some one should manage whole sections and a few help him on the way in their fields of expertise. Some thing free of charge for all fans around. Is it permissible in your oppinions ?
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

jsuberd wrote:Greetings,

For instance the CPJ could include sections on Search, Eval, Test, History, Lessons for begginers, AI, Programming tips, and so on. We could publish it in weekly/monthly basis. IMO no need put huge effort to produce new materials, since it is already there, just needs organization. This would be helpful for varouis people:

Newbies : They can get a clearer picture of whats going on and how to start.

Experts : Can have a look at various developments in the field they want to pursue and follow extensive discussions accordingly. Also if they miss CP for some time they can get an idea of trends.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
To organize the material produced elsewhere was one reason to establish the chess programming wiki, which is of course not perfect in structure and content, but everybody may contribute to improve it. At least some search, eval and board representation topics are covered so far. It contains topical links and references to other sources. Of course you may contribute by yourself or take snapshots (e.g. html exports) for a journal, considering the Creative Commons Licence and fair use.
krazyken

Post by krazyken »

jsuberd wrote:Hello,

In fact I want to suggest some people here manage to publish an online issue in pdf formant for instance. I suppose this is not much of work mostly copy and paste. Just maybe some one should manage whole sections and a few help him on the way in their fields of expertise. Some thing free of charge for all fans around. Is it permissible in your oppinions ?
It's good of you to volunteer to do this this!
jsuberd

Post by jsuberd »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: To organize the material produced elsewhere was one reason to establish the chess programming wiki, which is of course not perfect in structure and content, but everybody may contribute to improve it. At least some search, eval and board representation topics are covered so far. It contains topical links and references to other sources. Of course you may contribute by yourself or take snapshots (e.g. html exports) for a journal, considering the Creative Commons Licence and fair use.
Hi,

Yes I am aware of this. Please remember that when CPW was about to begin, some similar questions were arised. Say, is that needed at all? who will manage it? and so on. The point of Journal is not to be a replacement for these, in this case wiki. Since I expect wikis to be (practically) providing latest changes and comprehensively.

The Journal (or newsletter) OTOH is expected to come out in a timely manner and be shorter. Targeted audience would be those who miss the event for a while. Also for newbies who want to take a look at the big picture in short time in case they become interested. Ideally we could have papers specifically written for such a Journal in addition to those mentioned material but that would not be realistic in a short time IMO.
jsuberd

Post by jsuberd »

krazyken wrote: It's good of you to volunteer to do this this!
LOL, thanks for this...

But seriously, for several reasons I am not the person. For I am lazy (sad but true) and I am hardly an expert in such fields. But I get what you mean, it is much easier to tell people to do this and that than actually doing it...

Anyway maybe some happen to become interested, and even I can contribute somehow, who knows.
MattieShoes

Post by MattieShoes »

I think it's far more work than you realize. :-) The amount of work that has gone into the chess programming wiki is staggering. If you figure 1 hour of work per page... Well, I don't know how many pages it has, but holy smokes! For a periodic journal, it'd be even worse.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

MattieShoes wrote:I think it's far more work than you realize. :-) The amount of work that has gone into the chess programming wiki is staggering. If you figure 1 hour of work per page... Well, I don't know how many pages it has, but holy smokes! For a periodic journal, it'd be even worse.
Yes. You can just expand entries in the chess programming wiki. Way less work that starting from scratch and writing a paper. I find most technical papers are about 50% explaining what has already been done before. With the wiki, that part is already done. And anytime you have a few minutes free (or all night for me tonight since US Airways decided to strand me in Charlotte, NC), you can polish up articles there.

Mark