EOC databases now as open source

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pedrox

Re: EOC databases now as open source

Post by pedrox »

Hi Ed,

I have a file pgn of 937 Mb with approximately 1.150.000 games.

I have turned this file to a file dat, the process is correct, now I have a database of 289 Mb.

I want to turn this database a EOC, I want to include all the games in the EOC (60 ply) and I have the problem that in phase I it gives an error (Insuficient memory) when it has found 5588243 positions of 5592400 maximum and then "Error during the EOC buiding process". Prodeo also gives an error and finishes when I try to process million.pgn to EOC. Problem of memory?

Prodeo has hash of 48 Mb, I have a computer with 1 Gb de RAM.

Best,

Pedro
ed

Post by ed »

Hi Pedro,

Simply increase the hash table size to 256/512Mb

Start the program with the Wx paramater for instance: prodeo w6

Here is the list of hash table sizes:

Code: Select all

w0=  32Mb | w1=  48Mb | w2=  64Mb | w3=  96Mb | w4= 128Mb
w5= 192Mb | w6= 256Mb | w7= 384Mb | w8= 512Mb | w9= 768Mb
wa=   1Gb | wb=  1.5Gb| wc=   2Gb | wd=   3Gb
Good luck!

Ed

pedrox wrote:Hi Ed,

I have turned this file to a file dat, the process is correct, now I have a database of 289 Mb.

I want to turn this database a EOC, I want to include all the games in the EOC (60 ply) and I have the problem that in phase I it gives an error (Insuficient memory) when it has found 5588243 positions of 5592400 maximum and then "Error during the EOC buiding process". Prodeo also gives an error and finishes when I try to process million.pgn to EOC. Problem of memory?

Best,

Pedro
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

Perfect.

Thank you, Ed.

Best,

Pedro
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

ed wrote:Hi Pedro,

Simply increase the hash table size to 256/512Mb

Start the program with the Wx paramater for instance: prodeo w6

Here is the list of hash table sizes:

Code: Select all

w0=  32Mb | w1=  48Mb | w2=  64Mb | w3=  96Mb | w4= 128Mb
w5= 192Mb | w6= 256Mb | w7= 384Mb | w8= 512Mb | w9= 768Mb
wa=   1Gb | wb=  1.5Gb| wc=   2Gb | wd=   3Gb
Good luck!

Ed

pedrox wrote:Hi Ed,

Best,

Pedro
Similar problem here :
I have Windows XP and 2 GB of ram. In order to build a huge EOC, I set this hash table to 'prodeo wa' for 1 Gb. It still shows 768 Mb in the params.txt file and in task manager. Is this a bug or am I wrong ?
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

I have built a database from 3.900.000 games, its size is 656 Mb. Protools immediatly crashes when I want to create EOC.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Hi Ed! Nice to see you stop by :D I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for posting the web page of yours with the detailed description of many facets of how Rebel works. It gave me a lot of good ideas.

In particular, I am using your approach of doing a full eval at every internal node and making up for the cost (hopefully) by using the amount of useful information you can aquire from it. One thing surprised me though. I liked the idea of using the knowledge of which pieces were hanging to improve move ordering by giving a bonus for moving a hanging piece. Much to my surprise, that bonus always wound up hurting in node-count-do-specific-depth tests no matter how small I made the bonus. I haven't found any move ordering for non-captures non-killers that beats straight piece-square-table ordering.

Anyway, thanks again! And, of course, always glad to hear about any new ideas/discoveries!

Cheers,
Greg
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

just so you guys know
you are replying to a post Ed made two years ago
Time Fly's Regards
Stev
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Steve B wrote:just so you guys know
you are replying to a post Ed made two years ago
Time Fly's Regards
Stev
Whoops! I saw "May 9" and thought it was current. Of course, since it's only May 8 perhaps that should have been a clue! :)
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Greg Strong wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Whoops! I saw "May 9" and thought it was current. Of course, since it's only May 8 perhaps that should have been a clue! :)
:P
you never know
Ed still posts here from time to time
he could reply and you can pick up the discussion right where he left off.. two years ago

Back To The Future Regards
Steve
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

What exactly is an EOC database? Curious because from my understanding it's an opening game database.

Is it similar to my goldentree project?

http://olympuschess.com/goldentree/

-Josh