Maybe you should try single-core next year

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nid Hogge

Maybe you should try single-core next year

Post by Nid Hogge »

Congratulations. 3/3. Crippled, Blitz, Unlimited. The pathetic decision proved.. Meaningless. Nice try tough. Maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board? You know, focus more on engine development instead of trying to cripple out your nemesis. It's called sportsmanship, right? more fun for everyone, trust me.

In the end, what did this little experiment prove? That you can limit a Bugatti to use only 8 of it's 16 cylinders, It's still gonna be a $hitload better than a HYUNDAIRCS.

GJ.
Spock

Re: Hey Harvey, Maybe you should try single-core next year

Post by Spock »

Yes, 5th was not a good result for Hiarcs on equal hardware. I guess some will say that is justice. But with so few games, anything can and does happen in these tournaments

Having two tournaments - one open and one with a hardware limit - is a good idea in theory, but I think they got it horribly wrong.

In the hardware limited section, we had everything from a Core 2 duo up to the W5580 boxes, a huge differential. So, was it that different from the open tournament ? No it wasn't. If the aim was to not have the huge hardware differential it failed. And the W5580 boxes would have been £4,000 - £5,000 each (upwards of $US 6,000). So if the aim was to run on affordable hardware for the everyday person, it failed miserably again. A total failure on every count, apart from Rybka's very deserved win.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Spock wrote: Having two tournaments - one open and one with a hardware limit - is a good idea in theory, but I think they got it horribly wrong.

In the hardware limited section, we had everything from a Core 2 duo up to the W5580 boxes, a huge differential. So, was it that different from the open tournament ? No it wasn't. If the aim was to not have the huge hardware differential it failed. And the W5580 boxes would have been £4,000 - £5,000 each (upwards of $US 6,000). So if the aim was to run on affordable hardware for the everyday person, it failed miserably again.
I agree with you on this. It would have been nice to see the limited section run on equal hardware.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Spock »

AdminX wrote:
I agree with you on this. It would have been nice to see the limited section run on equal hardware.
Agreed. Equal hardware is difficult though unless a sponsor can be found to supply a whole lot of identical boxes, so may be impractical. So a hardware limit is easier to achieve, but should have been set lower, or else a cost limit, although how you would measure and enforce that is questionable
swami

Post by swami »

AdminX wrote:
Spock wrote: Having two tournaments - one open and one with a hardware limit - is a good idea in theory, but I think they got it horribly wrong.

In the hardware limited section, we had everything from a Core 2 duo up to the W5580 boxes, a huge differential. So, was it that different from the open tournament ? No it wasn't. If the aim was to not have the huge hardware differential it failed. And the W5580 boxes would have been £4,000 - £5,000 each (upwards of $US 6,000). So if the aim was to run on affordable hardware for the everyday person, it failed miserably again.
Well, I don't see any point to this. We have ratings list and testers who could manage to do tests on 4 Cpu. What's with this limitation to 8 cores and few games? It's like asking Schumacher, Raikonnen, Fisichella to drive a 1950's vintage car in a competition to see who the fastest driver is in 1950 cars. Especially in the modern age. And award each of them a title of World champs of the year 2009.

No wonder so many people voiced their criticism and anger at such a rule before and after the tournament.
Last edited by swami on Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spock

Post by Spock »

swami wrote:It's like asking Schumacher, Raikonnen, Fisichella to drive a 1950's vintage car in a competition to see who the fastest driver is in 1950 cars.
Actually that would be REALLY interesting to see !!
swami

Post by swami »

Spock wrote:
swami wrote:It's like asking Schumacher, Raikonnen, Fisichella to drive a 1950's vintage car in a competition to see who the fastest driver is in 1950 cars.
Actually that would be REALLY interesting to see !!
That could be for fun. But never in a serious tournament happening in modern age. This is Year 2009. We don't like to see organization awarding 2009 world champs for people forced to drive a 1950 cars. :wink:
Last edited by swami on Tue May 19, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

swami wrote:
AdminX wrote:

Well, I don't see any point to this. We have ratings list and testers who could manage to do tests on 4 Cpu. What's with this limitation to 8 cores and few games? It's like asking Schumacher, Raikonnen, Fisichella to drive a 1950's vintage car in a competition to see who the fastest driver is in 1950 cars. Especially in the modern age. And award each of them a title of World champs of the year 2009.

No wonder so many people voiced their criticism and anger at such a rule before and after the tournament.
Looking at a rating list and watching a event live are two different things. I also think the Baron (quad) and Joker (duo) might have done better if they had better hardware, as we all know anything can happen.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Spock »

AdminX wrote:
I also think the Baron (quad) and Joker (duo) might have done better if they had better hardware, as we all know anything can happen.
Indeed, assuming The Baron could use 8 cores, The Operon 270 is probably half the speed of the W5580 per core, so maybe would have searched 3 times faster on 8 Cores on the W5580 compared to 4 cores on the Opteron (minimum)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Spock wrote:
AdminX wrote:
I also think the Baron (quad) and Joker (duo) might have done better if they had better hardware, as we all know anything can happen.
Indeed, assuming The Baron could use 8 cores, The Operon 270 is probably half the speed of the W5580 per core, so maybe would have searched 3 times faster on 8 Cores on the W5580 compared to 4 cores on the Opteron (minimum)
Actually, Joker was only using a single core. It was running on a 2.33GHz Core 2 Quad made available by the organizers. The mentioned Core 2 Duo was misinformation given by me when I registered, under the assumption that I would have to bring my own machine. Sorry about that.

The Quad was convenient, though, as I could play the Chinese Chess games on the same machine using another core, and could even test the pondering modification I made to that (using 2 cores) while I was playing Chess.