Maybe you should try single-core next year

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Hey Harvey, Maybe you should try single-core next year

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: The way some guys are crying on the Rybka forum you would think they came 5th.
Didn't Hiarcs finish just half a point behind 2nd position ?
That is not what I call 5th.

Matthias.
Thaks Matthias - you pointing this out makes me think it is worth entering these tournaments and not hiding like, some, other top engines do.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Maybe Junior is the odd one out, but the public release is quite old, and Junior always does much better in the WCCC than in the ratinglists.
You can say that again! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

I was going to stop posting about the whole matter, but these two posts are too nice to resist :)
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?
Harvey Williamson wrote: Thaks Matthias - you pointing this out makes me think it is worth entering these tournaments and not hiding like, some, other top engines do.
Right! http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... php?id=198
Harvey Williamson

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:I was going to stop posting about the whole matter, but these two posts are too nice to resist :)
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?
Harvey Williamson wrote: Thaks Matthias - you pointing this out makes me think it is worth entering these tournaments and not hiding like, some, other top engines do.
At least we sent a team member and did not rely on 3 different operators to make this possible. I guess you saved a lot of money by not coming - we paid 502 euros to enter + flights Hotel and car hire. How much did it cost you to enter?
Harvey Williamson

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:I was going to stop posting about the whole matter, but these two posts are too nice to resist :)
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Personally I believe more any promotion is good promotion.

If you play in these tournaments, you get visibility. People learn that your engine exists. It doesn't matter so much if you don't win, it's the World Championship after all. Most people understand that you cannot win everything. But why not play? It is as if you didn't qualify to even play.

Participating is more important than winning is the Olympic credo. Now I personally think winning is at least as important as participating, but you cannot win if you don't participate :)
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?
At least we sent a team member and did not rely on 3 different operators to make this possible. I guess you saved a lot of money by not coming - we paid 502 euros to enter + flights Hotel and car hire. How much did it cost you to enter?

Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
Harvey Williamson

michiguel wrote: Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
You mean like when I went to China last year? Instead of complaining help find a sponsor wherever you are - I will be there.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?

1 2 2 2 3 :D

My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

michiguel wrote:
Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
The rest of the planet is irrelevant.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kai
Spock

Post by Spock »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?

1 2 2 2 3 :D

No, 1, 2,2,2,5

You say only half a point, whatever, it will always be pretty close, and there is an element of luck, it is do or die, you have to perform well on the day. One slight thing wrong - a less than satisfactory opening say - and straight away you're on the back foot.

5th is 5th, and I do recall Harvey on a prior occasion claiming outright victory for what was a 1st equal that was decided on a tie break. So you take the good with the bad. 5th is 5th, sorry, even if only half a point. Run the entire tournament again, and Hiarcs may end up a clear 2nd, and it would be a well deserved 2nd. Run it again, maybe it will be Junior. That's the way it is. 5th is no disgrace at all, far from it. I think there is very little to choose between Hiarcs, Shredder, Junior, Sjeng.