Maybe you should try single-core next year

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spock

Re: Hey Harvey, Maybe you should try single-core next year

Post by Spock »

Harvey Williamson wrote:These kind of posts are really funny.
Yes, I thought HYUNDAIRCS was hilarious, my apologies :lol:
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Spock wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Didn't Hiarcs finish just half a point behind 2nd position ?
That is not what I call 5th.
Complete the sequence:

1 2 3 4 ?

1 2 2 2 3 :D

No, 1, 2,2,2,5

You say only half a point, whatever, it will always be pretty close, and there is an element of luck, it is do or die, you have to perform well on the day. One slight thing wrong - a less than satisfactory opening say - and straight away you're on the back foot.

5th is 5th, and I do recall Harvey on a prior occasion claiming outright victory for what was a 1st equal that was decided on a tie break. So you take the good with the bad. 5th is 5th, sorry, even if only half a point. Run the entire tournament again, and Hiarcs may end up a clear 2nd, and it would be a well deserved 2nd. Run it again, maybe it will be Junior. That's the way it is. 5th is no disgrace at all, far from it. I think there is very little to choose between Hiarcs, Shredder, Junior, Sjeng.
I did not claim victory we were awarded victory - but it is funny how many thought that was wrong and now take great delight in saying we were 5th, which we were. So be it - I think it is a mistake to be active in this community. Along with the Rybka team we are the only other major engine that is always active in the forums, this may not be the best way. Perhaps we should only post when we have won something or have some news. I will have to think about this - as some only want to find the bad in everything.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
michiguel wrote: Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
You mean like when I went to China last year? Instead of complaining help find a sponsor wherever you are - I will be there.
I am not complaining, you are.

Count your blessings that you often have a WCCC at a short distance.

Miguel
Harvey Williamson

michiguel wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
michiguel wrote: Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
You mean like when I went to China last year? Instead of complaining help find a sponsor wherever you are - I will be there.
I am not complaining, you are.

Count your blessings that you often have a WCCC at a short distance.

Miguel
Would you turn up if it was within a 1000 miles of you? I was not complaining I was just pointing out GCP had 3 operators and paid very little to make that happen. just the goodwill of 3 people who like him and his engine.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Harvey Williamson wrote:.............,<snip>. I think it is a mistake to be active in this community. Along with the Rybka team we are the only other major engine that is always active in the forums, this may not be the best way. Perhaps we should only post when we have won something or have some news. I will have to think about this - as some only want to find the bad in everything.
Well, when controversy surrounds you on many occasion and this is only one of many, I think you have to look at yourself, look at your conduct, look how it and your writings are interpreted, and learn from it. So this may be the best way for Hiarcs. Stefan for example wisely stays away.
Harvey Williamson

Spock wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:.............,<snip>. I think it is a mistake to be active in this community. Along with the Rybka team we are the only other major engine that is always active in the forums, this may not be the best way. Perhaps we should only post when we have won something or have some news. I will have to think about this - as some only want to find the bad in everything.
Well, when controversy surrounds you on many occasion and this is only one of many, I think you have to look at yourself, look at your conduct, look how it and your writings are interpreted, and learn from it. So this may be the best way for Hiarcs. Stefan for example wisely stays away.
I guess you are correct when 2 members of the Rybka team are allowed to post things that are not true and it seems you support them - even though I posted an email from the ICGA President, yesterday, confirming they were not. I will do a Chris W and not post on any forums except Hiarcs for 2 weeks. Perhaps I will also vanish like he did after making that statement.

A well deserved break for me regards,
Harvey

ps. I received this in an email from 1 of the Rybka forum moderators
I think there have been some completely unacceptable and hostile emails against you. Who is this unpleasant person "Ray"?
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Tue May 19, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

guys. be brave and do not hit each other.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Laskos wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Please do not complain about costs when the rest of the planet need to cross one or two oceans to participate.

Miguel
The rest of the planet is irrelevant.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kai
Except the champion, of course... ;-)

Miguel
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

seems to me Ray that all too often whenever we get commercial programmers and their team members to post here they are showered with controversy and personal attack
cannot the same be said of Vaslich and Rybka who hardly ever posts here anymore
Sandro Necchi of Shredder stopped posting here for the same reasons

Harvey has stated repeatedly now ..here and on other forums that he only SUPPORTED the decision to go with a hardware limit ..the problem he now faces it seems is that he openly stated that support in live forums while others who have also supported the decision remained silent so he is now the subject of ridicule and open attack while they are not
it is OK to attack an idea but not OK to attack a person

Best Regards
Steve
Titu

Post by Titu »

Spock wrote: Well, when controversy surrounds you on many occasion and this is only one of many, ...
Well said! People see through the machiavellian behaviour as someone wrote in another forum.