From pgn to MySQL?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Fguy64

From pgn to MySQL?

Post by Fguy64 »

I'm looking for a quick and easy way to get a pgn database into tabular form to import into mySQL.

Does anyone know of software that will turn a pgn database into a comma delimited text file or some other such format?

thanks.
Dann Corbit

Re: From pgn to MySQL?

Post by Dann Corbit »

Fguy64 wrote:I'm looking for a quick and easy way to get a pgn database into tabular form to import into mySQL.

Does anyone know of software that will turn a pgn database into a comma delimited text file or some other such format?

thanks.
Jose stores PGN in MySQL.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Fguy64 wrote:I'm looking for a quick and easy way to get a pgn database into tabular form to import into mySQL.

thanks.
Exactly and very good it is.

I wish Peter would carry on with it.

Let's be honest, PGN is a very outdated format don't you think?

With a SQL database you have searchable and scalable possibilities over very large amounts of data.

Christopher
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

thanks.
Exactly and very good it is.

I wish Peter would carry on with it.

Let's be honest, PGN is a very outdated format don't you think?

With a SQL database you have searchable and scalable possibilities over very large amounts of data.

Christopher
Aquarium also stores PGN in SQL.
You can use ODBC to connect to the database and perform all sorts of queries to your heart's content.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Dann Corbit wrote: Aquarium also stores PGN in SQL.
You can use ODBC to connect to the database and perform all sorts of queries to your heart's content.
Is that why it's so slow and buggy? :)
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote: Aquarium also stores PGN in SQL.
Is that why it's so slow and buggy? :)
The slow, quirky behavior is due to their choice of database (I think it is probably the worst imaginable ODBC database). However, you can retarget Aquarium to use SQL*Server very easily and that will speed it up four fold. I plan to build a MonetDB target that will speed it up 10x or more.
Fguy64

Post by Fguy64 »

Thanks gentlemen, I'll pass the info along. I'm enquiring on behalf of web programmer friend who is about to some write some php code to be used by his non-technical client to build up a database on a web server, and I told him I'd look into it.