Leiden Tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Leiden Tournament

Post by mclane »

I like to see the ENGINE do the work, not some pre-prepared sequence of moves.
yes. my opinion too.

maybe 10 moves are enough.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Titu wrote: ........ the books should have a limit as well. I say let the engines play as much as possible.
Totally agree
gerold

Post by gerold »

mclane wrote:
AdminX wrote:I was told it was a Book Win, was it? I have not had time to look at the game yet.
here you can replay the game ONLINE...

http://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/sh ... #post20268
Very good thanks.
best,
Gerold.
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

Steve B wrote:i know each Leiden tournament consists of both a PC Engine tournament as well as a "Users" or "Gebroikers "tournament of dedicated chess computers
i dont see where on the link the Gebriokers or Users Tournament updates are shown?

Regards
Steve
Gebroikers -> Gebruikers :D (means users)
http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... 4&Itemid=1
Best
Fonzy
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

F. Bluemers wrote:
Steve B wrote:i know each Leiden tournament consists of both a PC Engine tournament as well as a "Users" or "Gebroikers "tournament of dedicated chess computers
i dont see where on the link the Gebriokers or Users Tournament updates are shown?

Regards
Steve
Gebroikers -> Gebruikers :D (means users)
http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... 4&Itemid=1
Best
Fonzy
Excellent
Thanks Fonzy

Go Ed Go(Mephisto Risc II) Regards
Steve
Leto

Post by Leto »

Spock wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Depends on what you call a book win. White had a great position out of book, but black could probably have put up stiffer resistance.
Yeah, I just replayed the game. I would not call it a Book Win. Looks like it was just outplayed.
Glad it wasn't - I just think book wins devalue these and other tournaments when they happen, I like to see the ENGINE do the work, not some pre-prepared sequence of moves. Of course that is why I prefer chess960 to normal chess any day of the week.

With Rybka and some of the other strong contenders not there, Hiarcs stands a good chance of winning this tournament :wink:
But we already have CEGT and CCRL which use small generic books to test the engine's true strength. Why waste time retesting?
mclane

Post by mclane »

its not about testing. its about winning in a tournament with few rounds. IMO it is russian roulette to play with a big book.
in such a tournament use a small book that throws opponent out in a position YOUR program can handle instead of beeing thrown out by the big opening book of the opponent in a position the opponent program likes.
Leto

Post by Leto »

An article from Rybka author's wife about the importance of the book for Rybka's win in 2006:
http://www.rybkachess.com/docs/LEIDEN%2 ... TITION.htm
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Graham Banks wrote:
mclane wrote:exactly.its time for gerd.
Gerd has worked hard over a long period of time, so any success would indeed be well deserved. 8-)
Thanks for your kind words, Graham. I have to admit that the current HansDamf, which played in Wortel and Leiden is still more 32-bit IsiChess MMX than the initial devoted 64-bit SSE2 HansDamf, which is a color-flipper (flips the board after each move, so the computer is always white to move) and will blow everything away ;-)

(With a decent eval and parallel algorithm still in progress).

Cheers,
Gerd
mclane

Post by mclane »

gerd. we all wait for the breakthrough.

more Dampf !!